Y'all not messin around with the off-road trails

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
First of all.... new Jeep owner as of this month. Yay!

Sunday I thought I'd get my feet wet and go on an "easy" off road trail (rated by AllTrails) ..... So, I pack up my 8yr old and head out on what I thought would be a "bumpy dirt road" -

UMMMMMM - hahahaha - I went a mile on a trail that should be called "cliff dropping anxiety sweat of doom" and turned around... cause it wasn't a smart idea to do that one alone at 5pm. Went home, and googled "how to drive 4wd" thinking oh, "sweet, I'll learn how to use that other stick thingy" - now I'm thinking I'm at level -10... hahaha

So.. instead of buying mods to make my Jeep look pretty.. I'm going all in on off road gear like a shovel, tire traction mat, fire extinguisher, tire gage, tire pump, first aid kit, (I don't even know how to research a winch), and friends.

But just like the rest of my outdoor gear, if I don't know how to use it, it's worthless - right?

So... I'm looking for someone to adopt me - cause i'm definitely not going out alone anymore and i'm not giving up that easy -

"this is equal parts fun and scarry" - 8yr old kid

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/...erra-pellona-and-5n18-fall-canyon-truck-trail

Jeep Wrangler JL Y'all not messin around with the off-road trails Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 12.54.38 AM
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on the Jeep... Stocking up on off-road gear is a good idea if you plan to use it, but not knowing how to use the stuff only makes it worthless if you don't learn how.

A recovery strap is something else to consider, walkies, etc. along with a few basic tools. There's a handful of threads discussing essentials.

Like this guy
And this guy
And this guy

Nice that you gave it the ol' college try... Don't give up!

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe

Sunday I thought I'd get my feet wet and go on an "easy" off road trail (rated by AllTrails) ..... So, I pack up my 8yr old and head out on what I thought would be a "bumpy dirt road" -

UMMMMMM - hahahaha - I went a mile on a trail that should be called "cliff dropping anxiety sweat of doom" and turned around... cause it wasn't a smart idea to do that one alone at 5pm. Went home, and googled "how to drive 4wd" thinking oh, "sweet, I'll learn how to use that other stick thingy" - now I'm thinking I'm at level -10... hahaha

So.. instead of buying mods to make my Jeep look pretty.. I'm going all in on off road gear like a shovel, tire traction mat, fire extinguisher, tire gage, tire pump, first aid kit, (I don't even know how to research a winch), and friends.

But just like the rest of my outdoor gear, if I don't know how to use it, it's worthless - right?

So... I'm looking for someone to adopt me - cause i'm definitely not going out alone anymore and i'm not giving up that easy -

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/...erra-pellona-and-5n18-fall-canyon-truck-trail

Jeep Wrangler JL Y'all not messin around with the off-road trails Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 12.54.38 AM
i can also suggest checking out any local 4x4 groups or clubs near you. Ours here hosts beginner classes, intermediate, etc. all about education on respect and safety when out on the trail.
There are some fantastic videos on YouTube that talk about beginner do’s and don’ts. Also don’t feel like you need to go 0-100 right away, especially on mods. Time and experience will be your best friend both for skill and your pocket book.
My number 1 advice though, is never feel pressure to do something your not comfortable with, and if people make you feel that way out on the trail, your with the wrong people. Have fun out there and welcome to the Jeep life!!!!!!

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
Congratulations on the Jeep. Look for a local group or organization. My local club is a member of Southern Four Wheel Drive Association. They have Live technets on Facebook and at their upcoming TrailFest they will be having a "Know your rig". Also Jeep offers an offroading course at various trails around the country.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
First of all, hats off for taking your kid with you. Let him bring a friend sometime also when you get better. You are doing what awesome parents do.

As far as Jeeping goes, your Jeep will be way more capable than you think it is. As your skill level increases you will be amazed at where and what it will do. I have seen things and thought to myself there is no way I can drive through or over that and the Jeep never even spun a tire.

Your Jeep will take you places and you will see things that 99% of the population will never see unless it is in a picture. I don't know if you Facebook, but Facebook has groups. You should be able to find local to you Jeep clubs on Facebook and go wheeling with them. Our local Facebook Jeep groups are awesome. They have different rides almost every weekend and is a great place to meet other Jeepers in your area and have people around you that can teach you.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Welcome to the addiction that is off roading. Seeing that you are in Southern California, I know there are beginner off road events at hungry valley svra in Gorman pretty regularly. The beauty of building your skills and learning your Jeep at an off road park is that even if you go alone on a non-event day, there are always plenty of other people around to help with spotting or to give you a tug if you do get stuck. Your confidence in you and your rig will grow with experience. Never been to hungry valley myself, but most off road parks have nice open areas where you can even let your kid drive around a bit. Mine started at hollister hills at about that age and I let him drive part of the rubicon trail by 11 or so. Family fun that’s out doors, what could be better?

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
Rower Flats can get pretty well rutted out but, it's nothing your Jeep wouldn't be able to handle with a bit of experience and confidence!

As mentioned, it's a little bit more of a drive North but, the Hungry Valley OHV park offers a lot of great engaging obstacles to get your feet wet. It's mostly fire road style trails with: sandy areas, hill climbs, and obstacles. (Enter off Smokey Bear Rd)
For a $5 fee, it can make for a fun day. There's even an obstacle park to test your skills!

Glad to hear you're not at all shy to just pack up and go, and smart enough to know your limits - that'll save you in the future

Hope to hear you stick around and make the best of this side of life!

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 12.54.38 AM.png
That’s the right direction to go and they can surely teach you how to use all of that, including the first aid kit possibly if you need assistance there as well.

There’s classes you can search for for any of that. A Wilderness First Aid course ($250/person) given by NOLS can be a lifesaver, literally. Know CPR, and basic first aid too.

My biggest thing is the friend thing. Being a parent a long time, there’s not much left there and they aren’t off roaders. I need to join a club myself.

Last edited:

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
LOL I cannot even begin to tell you how jealous I am of this story. If you were in New England it would be more along the lines of: “Just got my first Jeep! This past weekend I learned the only way to find anywhere to wheel is by joining a club, so now I’m on a 6-9 month waiting list at which point I can begin my initiation! Woot!”

Haha I’m kidding. Well not really... 🤪 Enjoy that new Jeep!

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!

You are very smart my dude. I am not new to Jeep'n but when I bought my JL I went straight to the local goodies store and got the folding shovel, hatchet, machete, recovery gear and what not. Get all that stuff and see what your Jeep can do before doing any mods, that is the smart way.

The First mistake I feel people make is buying a Jeep, spending way too much money putting mods into it to make it look cool and than only use 10% of its potential.

Good Luck and have fun!!

Sponsored

Sparky1352

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Recon
First off, I think the mentality you have will more than suit you well. Wanting to test your rig and more importantly, recognizing you were in over your head and deciding to regroup is commendable.

Second, I think you’re on the right path with what it sounds like you’ve ordered. Get the basics sorted, learn how to use it, then go back out and see if that gets you where you want to go. If it doesn’t, then you’ll have a better idea of what you may need next.

You’re shooting in the dark if you buy a bunch of mods without knowing where you want your rig to be. Lift? Wheels and tires? Winch? All compliment each other, but each serve distinct purposes and will enhance your rig in different ways.

Congrats, stay safe, and enjoy!

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
Congratulations on the Jeep... Stocking up on off-road gear is a good idea if you plan to use it, but not knowing how to use the stuff only makes it worthless if you don't learn how.

A recovery strap is something else to consider, walkies, etc. along with a few basic tools. There's a handful of threads discussing essentials.

Like this guy
And this guy
And this guy

Nice that you gave it the ol' college try... Don't give up!

Thanks so much - I'll check those out!

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
Welcome to the addiction that is off roading. Seeing that you are in Southern California, I know there are beginner off road events at hungry valley svra in Gorman pretty regularly. The beauty of building your skills and learning your Jeep at an off road park is that even if you go alone on a non-event day, there are always plenty of other people around to help with spotting or to give you a tug if you do get stuck. Your confidence in you and your rig will grow with experience. Never been to hungry valley myself, but most off road parks have nice open areas where you can even let your kid drive around a bit. Mine started at hollister hills at about that age and I let him drive part of the rubicon trail by 11 or so. Family fun that’s out doors, what could be better?

OMG - hahahaha - She would LOVE that!! (don't tell her dad) lol

Thanks! I'll check out hungry valley!

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
Rower Flats can get pretty well rutted out but, it's nothing your Jeep wouldn't be able to handle with a bit of experience and confidence!

As mentioned, it's a little bit more of a drive North but, the Hungry Valley OHV park offers a lot of great engaging obstacles to get your feet wet. It's mostly fire road style trails with: sandy areas, hill climbs, and obstacles. (Enter off Smokey Bear Rd)
For a $5 fee, it can make for a fun day. There's even an obstacle park to test your skills!

Glad to hear you're not at all shy to just pack up and go, and smart enough to know your limits - that'll save you in the future

Hope to hear you stick around and make the best of this side of life!

Thank you so much!! - Yeah - Safety 3rd, right?! haha
Sponsored