Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Remember wheels go down, roll cage up. And never do an intermediate or higher trail alone, always take a second vehicle, or really good hiking shoes and plenty of water. Also get a cheap hand held radio off of Amazon
Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
LOL I cannot even begin to tell you how jealous I am of this story. If you were in New England it would be more along the lines of: “Just got my first Jeep! This past weekend I learned the only way to find anywhere to wheel is by joining a club, so now I’m on a 6-9 month waiting list at which point I can begin my initiation! Woot!”

Haha I’m kidding. Well not really... 🤪 Enjoy that new Jeep!
You gotta head down South. Not too many places to wheel in Plymouth but there are a few deep woods trails that will keep ya entertained for a couple hours.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
First of all.... new Jeep owner as of this month. Yay!

Sunday I thought I'd get my feet wet and go on an "easy" off road trail (rated by AllTrails) ..... So, I pack up my 8yr old and head out on what I thought would be a "bumpy dirt road" -

UMMMMMM - hahahaha - I went a mile on a trail that should be called "cliff dropping anxiety sweat of doom" and turned around... cause it wasn't a smart idea to do that one alone at 5pm. Went home, and googled "how to drive 4wd" thinking oh, "sweet, I'll learn how to use that other stick thingy" - now I'm thinking I'm at level -10... hahaha

So.. instead of buying mods to make my Jeep look pretty.. I'm going all in on off road gear like a shovel, tire traction mat, fire extinguisher, tire gage, tire pump, first aid kit, (I don't even know how to research a winch), and friends.

But just like the rest of my outdoor gear, if I don't know how to use it, it's worthless - right?

So... I'm looking for someone to adopt me - cause i'm definitely not going out alone anymore and i'm not giving up that easy -

"this is equal parts fun and scarry" - 8yr old kid

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/...erra-pellona-and-5n18-fall-canyon-truck-trail

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 12.54.38 AM.png
First of all congratulations on the Jeep. Second, congratulations on going out and using it (even for a mile) in the environment it is really designed for. I was raised in So Cal (Southern Orange County) and then next time I come over from Arizona I will have to check this trail out, you really got me excited with "cliff dropping anxiety sweat of doom". As others have said, good job getting prepared and your 8-year old will remember all the fun you have off-roading or taking the top and/or doors off or dropping the windshield. My kids love driving around with the top and doors off.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
First of all, hats off for taking your kid with you. Let him bring a friend sometime also when you get better. You are doing what awesome parents do.

As far as Jeeping goes, your Jeep will be way more capable than you think it is. As your skill level increases you will be amazed at where and what it will do. I have seen things and thought to myself there is no way I can drive through or over that and the Jeep never even spun a tire.

Your Jeep will take you places and you will see things that 99% of the population will never see unless it is in a picture. I don't know if you Facebook, but Facebook has groups. You should be able to find local to you Jeep clubs on Facebook and go wheeling with them. Our local Facebook Jeep groups are awesome. They have different rides almost every weekend and is a great place to meet other Jeepers in your area and have people around you that can teach you.
All fantastic info as usual @wibornz. My kids get their friends to come over with the promise of riding in the Jeep. I can second getting to see stuff I would have never seen in a regular vehicle. Jeep and off-road groups are fantastic and will help build your skills and offer rides based on difficulty allowing you to slowly increase the difficulty based on your confidence and skill level. You will also see various mods and get honest feedback on them. I have wheeled mine stock for 21 months and am finally going to do some upgrades based on the types of off-roading I like to do.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have a JL Sport. Stock standard. I did not intend to do difficult off roading.

Switch into and out of 4Lo for newbies

I started by reading the manual then;

I listened to the experienced guys in the Jeep club then;

I learned from my own experience

Our Jeeps are expensive and none of us want to damage anything. A damaged transmission, I understand, can be expensive to fix.

The manual says that in 4Lo you should never exceed 40kph. Off road, the Jeep guys tell me, 4Lo should only be a last resort in difficult conditions.

Typically in 4Lo I am doing 5 – 15 kph so I am never going to reach 40kph. It is possible to reach 40kph on a beach by accident. To climb a sandhill you need speed and momentum so it is incorrect to use 4Lo on a beach.

The Jeep guys say 4Lo should be used off road on a steep uphill climb or steep downhill descent. Downhill, I was taught to push the gear lever over to Manual, and put it in 1st. This means the engine does the braking and saves your brakes.

The other time to use 4Lo is when going over difficult terrain. When you have been out with the Jeep club a few times you will understand the definition of difficult terrain for a Jeep. Which is even more difficult that you will imagine!

The procedure for switching into and out of 4Lo:

The manual says you should be rolling. I have learnt that to be rolling, you are either on flat ground or else facing downhill. If you are rolling uphill, you will come to a stop before the change is complete.

Decrease your speed to 3kph – 5kph

Move the gear lever to Neutral

Move the Transfer case through Neutral, do not pause and continue to 4Lo

Move the gear lever to Drive

If you hear a clunk, you have done it incorrectly. Learn from that and do it better next time.

Sometimes I am moving a bit too quick, so the “D” on the instrument panel will flash meaning the gears have not engaged. The solution is to slow down and the “D” stops flashing.

I find off road that I am changing into and out of 4Lo all the time. Do it correctly and have a great day!

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tyre pressure gauge. Always presume that the ones at a service station are inaccurate. The expensive gauges you can buy are accurate.

I use an "ARB Digital Tyre Inflator". I use it for measuring tyre pressure. I use it for deflating. I never use it for inflating!

I tried hard to avoid a digital one as digital ones need batteries. In the end it turned out to be the best choice.

The psi for my Jeep is 36psi. Off road, I deflate to 16psi.

Get a good compressor to inflate tyres. To power it, I am reluctant to use my Jeep battery, instead I bought a rechargable battery. I took a photo, of the details of the compressor to the battery shop and they sold me the correct battery for the job.

My compressor, takes 90 seconds to pump each tyre from 16psi - 36psi when I finish an off road trip. A cheap compressor will take hours, so investigate before hand.

Test: Check your tyre pressure, in the morning, in the garage at home when the tyres are cold. Note the manual says that if the temp is extreme, hot or cold, to make an adjustment to the psi.

Adjust the tyre pressure to read 36psi
Go for a drive for an hour and return home
Measure the tyre pressure and note it is 39psi - 40psi in each tyre.

Now finish a day off roading and inflate your tyres. Your tyres are warm so 36 is the wrong psi. You should inflate to 39 or so.

Drive home.

The next morning, with the tyres cold, check your tyre pressure and bring them to exactly 36psi each.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The difference between 4 wheel high Auto and 4 wheel high Part Time

The old JK has 4 a position transfer case.

2 wheel High

4 wheel high

Neutral

4 wheel low

The JL has a 5 position transfer case

2 wheel High

4 wheel high Auto

4 wheel high Part Time

Neutral

4 wheel low

So, what is the difference between,

4 wheel high Auto and

4 wheel high Part Time?

From the manual:

4 wheel high auto

This range sends power to the front wheels. The front axle is engaged, but the vehicle's power is sent to the rear wheels.

The four-wheel drive system will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a loss of traction.

4 wheel high part time

This range maximizes torque to the front driveshaft, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. (This implies you are doing a slow speed because when we turn a corner the wheels are turning at different speeds).

Also:
The manual says that 4WH should never be used on a sealed road, so beware!

Off road, I find myself switching between, 4 wheel high auto, 4 wheel high part time and 4 wheel lo all the time, depending on the terrain. After a while you get a feel for it.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara

Sunday I thought I'd get my feet wet and go on an "easy" off road trail (rated by AllTrails) ..... So, I pack up my 8yr old and head out on what I thought would be a "bumpy dirt road" -

UMMMMMM - hahahaha - I went a mile on a trail that should be called "cliff dropping anxiety sweat of doom" and turned around... cause it wasn't a smart idea to do that one alone at 5pm. Went home, and googled "how to drive 4wd" thinking oh, "sweet, I'll learn how to use that other stick thingy" - now I'm thinking I'm at level -10... hahaha

So.. instead of buying mods to make my Jeep look pretty.. I'm going all in on off road gear like a shovel, tire traction mat, fire extinguisher, tire gage, tire pump, first aid kit, (I don't even know how to research a winch), and friends.

But just like the rest of my outdoor gear, if I don't know how to use it, it's worthless - right?

So... I'm looking for someone to adopt me - cause i'm definitely not going out alone anymore and i'm not giving up that easy -

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/...erra-pellona-and-5n18-fall-canyon-truck-trail

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara

Congratulations, good for you and the kid. Good information so far. For the things that you want to get, you can do a search for stuff to get an idea of what people are buying.
Hungry Valley in Gorman is a great place for beginners and a Great place to take your kid. You can ask the ranger at the gate questions. Tell them what you’re there for, ask about classes and such. Google would be a good place for Jeep clubs. There’s a forum for SoCal Jeep outings on here. REI has first aid classes. 4 Wheel Parts is one place to look at parts and tires and ask questions and buy stuff if you want.
Have fun. You seem to be starting out right.

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
They briefly addressed a type of would closing strips that the name escapes me now. Here’s the kit I have (Advanced). https://mymedic.com/collections/first-aid-kits/products/myfak-firstaidkit

We simulated a shoulder setting as well with 5-10lb weights. You can only attempt one time if you’ve never dislocated before.

It was much different than the typical, mostly stop bleeding and stabilize breaks training I had in basic almost 30 years ago.
That first aid kit looks awesome - In mine, I'm only missing a few of those things... it was good to look over it - thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
Oh and dont worry about mods yet. Just drop the tire pressure and disconnect the sway bar. Youll need a wrench and socket wrench to disconnect and needs to be done on flat terrain. Practice at home so you get quick at it.

The first time I lifted a tire on my stock sport I thought I was gonna flip and die. Then I saw the vid from my wife and it was nothing.

The more you drive your jeep stock. The more you learn. The when you modify it youll be able to do anything.
sweet, thanks... I didn't know about the sway bar!! I'll check into it

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
I did that on Cleghorn years ago and my dog refused to go wheeling with me again after that. 😆

So yup... worth noting that a lot of 'easy' trails definitely have harder offshoots. Be careful which turn you take!

Another suggestion! Check out NotaRubicon's youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/c/NotaRubiconProductions/videos ) they have really good trail review videos for local SoCal trails. It'll let you get an idea of what you're getting into ahead of time. Also helpful for checking road conditions, if the video is recent. Some trails get harder over the years as they go unmaintained and get washed out.

hahahaha - awe! puppers!! and thank you! I'll check it out!

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
First of all congratulations on the Jeep. Second, congratulations on going out and using it (even for a mile) in the environment it is really designed for. I was raised in So Cal (Southern Orange County) and then next time I come over from Arizona I will have to check this trail out, you really got me excited with "cliff dropping anxiety sweat of doom". As others have said, good job getting prepared and your 8-year old will remember all the fun you have off-roading or taking the top and/or doors off or dropping the windshield. My kids love driving around with the top and doors off.

Thank you!

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
I have a JL Sport. Stock standard. I did not intend to do difficult off roading.

Switch into and out of 4Lo for newbies

I started by reading the manual then;

I listened to the experienced guys in the Jeep club then;

I learned from my own experience

Our Jeeps are expensive and none of us want to damage anything. A damaged transmission, I understand, can be expensive to fix.

The manual says that in 4Lo you should never exceed 40kph. Off road, the Jeep guys tell me, 4Lo should only be a last resort in difficult conditions.

Typically in 4Lo I am doing 5 – 15 kph so I am never going to reach 40kph. It is possible to reach 40kph on a beach by accident. To climb a sandhill you need speed and momentum so it is incorrect to use 4Lo on a beach.

The Jeep guys say 4Lo should be used off road on a steep uphill climb or steep downhill descent. Downhill, I was taught to push the gear lever over to Manual, and put it in 1st. This means the engine does the braking and saves your brakes.

The other time to use 4Lo is when going over difficult terrain. When you have been out with the Jeep club a few times you will understand the definition of difficult terrain for a Jeep. Which is even more difficult that you will imagine!

The procedure for switching into and out of 4Lo:

The manual says you should be rolling. I have learnt that to be rolling, you are either on flat ground or else facing downhill. If you are rolling uphill, you will come to a stop before the change is complete.

Decrease your speed to 3kph – 5kph

Move the gear lever to Neutral

Move the Transfer case through Neutral, do not pause and continue to 4Lo

Move the gear lever to Drive

If you hear a clunk, you have done it incorrectly. Learn from that and do it better next time.

Sometimes I am moving a bit too quick, so the “D” on the instrument panel will flash meaning the gears have not engaged. The solution is to slow down and the “D” stops flashing.

I find off road that I am changing into and out of 4Lo all the time. Do it correctly and have a great day!

OMG thank you!

OP
OP
dudewithajeep

dudewithajeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport
Tyre pressure gauge. Always presume that the ones at a service station are inaccurate. The expensive gauges you can buy are accurate.

I use an "ARB Digital Tyre Inflator". I use it for measuring tyre pressure. I use it for deflating. I never use it for inflating!

I tried hard to avoid a digital one as digital ones need batteries. In the end it turned out to be the best choice.

The psi for my Jeep is 36psi. Off road, I deflate to 16psi.

Get a good compressor to inflate tyres. To power it, I am reluctant to use my Jeep battery, instead I bought a rechargable battery. I took a photo, of the details of the compressor to the battery shop and they sold me the correct battery for the job.

My compressor, takes 90 seconds to pump each tyre from 16psi - 36psi when I finish an off road trip. A cheap compressor will take hours, so investigate before hand.

Test: Check your tyre pressure, in the morning, in the garage at home when the tyres are cold. Note the manual says that if the temp is extreme, hot or cold, to make an adjustment to the psi.

Adjust the tyre pressure to read 36psi
Go for a drive for an hour and return home
Measure the tyre pressure and note it is 39psi - 40psi in each tyre.

Now finish a day off roading and inflate your tyres. Your tyres are warm so 36 is the wrong psi. You should inflate to 39 or so.

Drive home.

The next morning, with the tyres cold, check your tyre pressure and bring them to exactly 36psi each.

oh wow, that is a lot of information - thank you so much for taking the time to let me know!
Sponsored