Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Yeah, I meant to call that out earlier. With the swing arm closed, the tailgate hits the raised sleeve that holds the TopShelf. With the swing arm open, the tailgate hits a "pull pin" that holds the swing arm in place when it's open. Two inches or so lower and my 32" tires would clear it. You could probably use a hitch extension with a drop to make it work, but I'm hesitant to lower the rear clearance. Not ideal, but with the swing arm open the tailgate opens enough for my purposes. We'll see how annoying that becomes over time...
Couple more photos...
thanks AGAIN! Your initiative has saved me time. The EXO won’t work for me as I have a tailgate table installed already (inside tailgate). I would not be able to use it with the swing arm not letting the tailgate open all the way…..
Sponsored

socrat2133

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Thanks for sharing this info. You answered many questions I hadn't even thought of yet, so much appreciated. Can I ask: did you already have the Tow Package and/or 4 pin harness? Or did you just add the hitch? I saw they sold a LitKit for the Gear Locker, but didn't know if it was legally required and didn't notice it on your setup.
Yes, I have the factory hitch package with 4/7 pin harness. I don’t have the Yakima lights and have debated getting them. The Jeep’s rear lights are still visible, but the box would be tough to see at night, so could be a smart add-on.

chris87114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Thanks for posting up the pictures and details. I don't even own a wrangler yet, but given family and active hobbies, I'm trying to figure out if the wrangler will work for us and what options there are for carrying gear, mostly for camping and mountain biking adventures. I'm still on the edge if there's enough room for the four of us.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Thanks for posting up the pictures and details. I don't even own a wrangler yet, but given family and active hobbies, I'm trying to figure out if the wrangler will work for us and what options there are for carrying gear, mostly for camping and mountain biking adventures. I'm still on the edge if there's enough room for the four of us.
One thing about the wrangler is there is a HUGE amount of aftermarket vendors making all sorts of stuff specific to the wrangler and it’s design. Then, in addition, there are also other vendors who make generic stuff (like this EXO) that can have issues.

My opinion is that a family of 4 is easy to accommodate an outdoor lifestyle. But only you know your needs. Good luck with the search and you will find this board amazingly helpful as you scrub through options.

remember though: JEEP is an abbreviation for Just Empty Every Pocket……. $$$$$$$$$$$……………

chris87114

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
My opinion is that a family of 4 is easy to accommodate an outdoor lifestyle. But only you know your needs. Good luck with the search and you will find this board amazingly helpful as you scrub through options.

remember though: JEEP is an abbreviation for Just Empty Every Pocket……. $$$$$$$$$$$……………
Thanks. I started looking at wranglers a couple years ago before I bought my current vehicle, which has been a great commuter car after just starting a new job. But it doesn't support other activities and my wife's vehicle is coming up for a potential replacement so I'm still lurking on the forum. Wish I would have bought before though as the prices of new jeeps seems to keep climbing faster than my income. And that's just the cost of entry, not to mention all the accessories and mods as you mentioned. I've bought plenty of those with previous vehicles (all sorts of roof and hitch racks), but with Jeeps, there's a ton of other ways to spend $$$ too.

Sponsored

ex220

First Name
Emiliano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Yeah, I meant to call that out earlier. With the swing arm closed, the spare hits the raised sleeve that holds the TopShelf. With the swing arm open, the spare hits a "pull pin" that holds the swing arm in place when it's open. Two inches or so lower and my 32" tires would clear it. You could probably use a hitch extension with a drop to make it work, but I'm hesitant to lower the rear clearance. Not ideal, but with the swing arm open the tailgate opens enough for my purposes. We'll see how annoying that becomes over time...
Couple more photos...
Looks awesome and exactly the kind of setup I wanna do. I have a question for you, did you have add the extender because the tire is too low? I have a Teraflex tire carrier which allows me to move the tire up. Do you think I would still need to add the extender if I raise the tire?

socrat2133

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
The extender is necessary just to be able to use any of the components on the base. It’s not the height of the spare but rather the distance it extends behind the vehicle. Lifting the tire would help with the tire bumping the pin when opening the rear door, but not with the length issue.

Looks awesome and exactly the kind of setup I wanna do. I have a question for you, did you have add the extender because the tire is too low? I have a Teraflex tire carrier which allows me to move the tire up. Do you think I would still need to add the extender if I raise the tire?

prc9876

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Update: So I bit the bullet and sprang for the Swing Base and Gear Locker, since I was unable to find any other viable storage solution for the 4xe with soft top. I ordered this Curt 8" hitch extender and this Rhino anti-rattle clamp. The manufacturer's instructions from Curt say not to exceed 65% of hitch capacity, which gives me 227.5 lbs to play with. The Base + Gear Locker + hitch extender adds up to about 107 lbs... plenty of capacity left over to load up the Locker (it can handle up to 100 lbs).

The challenge would start if I decided to add the TopShelf. That would add 34 lbs (so 141 total), leaving about 86 lbs for gear and accessories. That's enough to add another Locker + 58 lbs of total gear (so maybe bulky lighter stuff divided between the two Lockers?), or this table thing; but not enough for the bike rack attachment plus my two bikes, which would come to 94 lbs.

Summary:
Hitch extender + anti-rattle clamp = 15 lbs
Swing Base = 64 lbs
Gear locker = 28 lbs
TopShelf = 34 lbs
Bike rack = 38 lbs
Total = 179 lbs; leaving 48 lbs for gear and bikes (not enough for my purposes)

It's still a pretty remarkable system, and the swing out feature is perfect for the Wrangler. I'll use the single level most of the time, and switch out accessories as needed. With the weight constraints, the only reasons for me to get the TopShelf would be to add the table (expensive proposition for a table) or the ski carrier.
Photos attached.

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg
Thanks for this! Just picked mine up today with the bike rack after reading your write up since I was on the fence before. Full disclosure - I did end up getting it because it will also be useful when my Rivian R1T arrives, don’t roast me! :LOL:

I used a Kuat Hi-Lo Pro that I already had from my previous racks which expands as well so no wobble there. Also drops the SwingBase by a few inches, so even a little better clearance with my spare (I have a Sahara 4xe with Rubi wheels and tires). It’s already nice to not have to install both the Hi-Lo then a separate hitch bike rack that weighs a ton, I am just going to keep the SwingBase on the Jeep full time and install the bike rack / ski rack when I need it - can still get to the trunk no problem and not too much visibility loss in the rear view camera when in reverse (although the proximity sensors do beep, not a big deal to me).

My only downside I see now are brake lights being blocked with bikes installed. I would get the LitKit, but having to put those on and take them off every time you unfold and fold the arms kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Adding my pics for those interested in the same setup.

Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? 212E4E0A-AA63-476E-93D5-7E8F43B385C4
Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? F8998D90-5843-40EE-8F2C-3C21F837594A
Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? 3F0FBEAB-00CA-47BE-B954-3A3645F2A133
Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? 6BA9BA7C-2840-4997-B298-899965BE82B8
Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? AA224985-1D40-4B85-A0A6-5C4E836A7781
Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? 45F07E73-71A0-44D5-A219-630F0863B396

Sponsored

chowfun27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 392
Update: So I bit the bullet and sprang for the Swing Base and Gear Locker, since I was unable to find any other viable storage solution for the 4xe with soft top. I ordered this Curt 8" hitch extender and this Rhino anti-rattle clamp. The manufacturer's instructions from Curt say not to exceed 65% of hitch capacity, which gives me 227.5 lbs to play with. The Base + Gear Locker + hitch extender adds up to about 107 lbs... plenty of capacity left over to load up the Locker (it can handle up to 100 lbs).

The challenge would start if I decided to add the TopShelf. That would add 34 lbs (so 141 total), leaving about 86 lbs for gear and accessories. That's enough to add another Locker + 58 lbs of total gear (so maybe bulky lighter stuff divided between the two Lockers?), or this table thing; but not enough for the bike rack attachment plus my two bikes, which would come to 94 lbs.

Summary:
Hitch extender + anti-rattle clamp = 15 lbs
Swing Base = 64 lbs
Gear locker = 28 lbs
TopShelf = 34 lbs
Bike rack = 38 lbs
Total = 179 lbs; leaving 48 lbs for gear and bikes (not enough for my purposes)

It's still a pretty remarkable system, and the swing out feature is perfect for the Wrangler. I'll use the single level most of the time, and switch out accessories as needed. With the weight constraints, the only reasons for me to get the TopShelf would be to add the table (expensive proposition for a table) or the ski carrier.
Photos attached.

Thanks for posting all this very useful info. I probably would not have pulled the trigger without this.

The weight limitations were initially a deal breaker given I wanted to use a top shelf but I came across this hitch with a much higher 675 tongue weight capacity. I just need to be mindful of the actual Exo system weight limits now.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Jeep/Wrangler/2022/DT78MR.html?VehicleID=20226004087

Replaced the OE hitch with this and it works nicely since it's a couple inches longer than stock. I can actually use a gear locker with no extension needed and everything clears.

Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? 1665327176782

Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? 1665327211301

Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? 1665327273831

Jeep Wrangler JL Yakima EXO —- anyone use? 1665327292603

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue Wrangler JLUR
Thanks for this! Just picked mine up today with the bike rack after reading your write up since I was on the fence before. Full disclosure - I did end up getting it because it will also be useful when my Rivian R1T arrives, don’t roast me! :LOL:

I used a Kuat Hi-Lo Pro that I already had from my previous racks which expands as well so no wobble there. Also drops the SwingBase by a few inches, so even a little better clearance with my spare (I have a Sahara 4xe with Rubi wheels and tires). It’s already nice to not have to install both the Hi-Lo then a separate hitch bike rack that weighs a ton, I am just going to keep the SwingBase on the Jeep full time and install the bike rack / ski rack when I need it - can still get to the trunk no problem and not too much visibility loss in the rear view camera when in reverse (although the proximity sensors do beep, not a big deal to me).

My only downside I see now are brake lights being blocked with bikes installed. I would get the LitKit, but having to put those on and take them off every time you unfold and fold the arms kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Adding my pics for those interested in the same setup.

I think you've figured out what I need to do... I have a 4 door JLU Rubicon with the stock rubi tires and lift, and OEM hitch installed. Looking to set up both a ski and bike rack. I've got the Exposed Racks roof rack, but that's mostly for my tent, and I haven't seen them have anything really for skis. Definitely not trying to put bikes on the roof.

My original thought was to get the Yakima extender, but it sounds like you need the drop of the Kuat HiLo for clearance. It also seems that Yakima is really the only one that does both bike and ski via hitch. So, this is what I'm thinking now....

Kuat HiLo Pro - https://www.kuat.com/product/hi-lo-pro/
Yakima EXO Swingbase - https://yakima.com/collections/exo-foundation
Yakima EXO DoubleUp Bike Rack - https://yakima.com/products/exo-doubleup
Yakima EXO Snowbank Ski Rack - https://yakima.com/products/exo-snowbank

Any other alternatives to be able to open the gate all the way and rack skis or bikes outside? And how is bike and ski security on the EXO system? Both for driving down the highway, but also stepping inside the gas station and not worrying about the stuff getting snatched.

prc9876

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I think you've figured out what I need to do... I have a 4 door JLU Rubicon with the stock rubi tires and lift, and OEM hitch installed. Looking to set up both a ski and bike rack. I've got the Exposed Racks roof rack, but that's mostly for my tent, and I haven't seen them have anything really for skis. Definitely not trying to put bikes on the roof.

My original thought was to get the Yakima extender, but it sounds like you need the drop of the Kuat HiLo for clearance. It also seems that Yakima is really the only one that does both bike and ski via hitch. So, this is what I'm thinking now....

Kuat HiLo Pro - https://www.kuat.com/product/hi-lo-pro/
Yakima EXO Swingbase - https://yakima.com/collections/exo-foundation
Yakima EXO DoubleUp Bike Rack - https://yakima.com/products/exo-doubleup
Yakima EXO Snowbank Ski Rack - https://yakima.com/products/exo-snowbank

Any other alternatives to be able to open the gate all the way and rack skis or bikes outside? And how is bike and ski security on the EXO system? Both for driving down the highway, but also stepping inside the gas station and not worrying about the stuff getting snatched.

Security seems to be Ok, the bike rack has a built in cable lock with the same key as the hitch pin for each bike, and the ski racks do have locks as well. Not bulletproof, but both work as intended. Longer time away from my bikes, I may add a more heavy duty lock if needed.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks for posting all this very useful info. I probably would not have pulled the trigger without this.

The weight limitations were initially a deal breaker given I wanted to use a top shelf but I came across this hitch with a much higher 675 tongue weight capacity. I just need to be mindful of the actual Exo system weight limits now.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Jeep/Wrangler/2022/DT78MR.html?VehicleID=20226004087

Replaced the OE hitch with this and it works nicely since it's a couple inches longer than stock. I can actually use a gear locker with no extension needed and everything clears.

1665327176782.png

1665327211301.png

1665327273831.png

1665327292603.png
Is that a 33” or 35” tire you have on there? I’m wondering how this would work with 35x12.5” tire. Hopefully it gives enough clearance to fully open the box.

I’m very interested in getting this, as I have a soft top and no desire to get a hardtop.

@socrat2133 or anyone else: Any thoughts on long term usage?

chowfun27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 392
Is that a 33” or 35” tire you have on there? I’m wondering how this would work with 35x12.5” tire. Hopefully it gives enough clearance to fully open the box.

I’m very interested in getting this, as I have a soft top and no desire to get a hardtop.

@socrat2133 or anyone else: Any thoughts on long term usage?
Those photos were with a 33" (285/70R17). I now have 35"s (315/70R17) but haven't put the Yakima set up back on yet. I'd imagine it will be very close...
Sponsored