First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
+1 I have run 777 at Sand Hollow, which they call an 8 rated trail. With one winch over an obstacle. Spacer and 37s only... But more is always better.. Hence the recent shock extensions and fox's..
Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Ok..

Im getting very tempted to pull the trigger on some dstrac 70 40/40 5.86 axles.. Will aim to run 40 or 42s..

I want more grunt hence the gear ratio. I figure I can run 37s even. Basically instead of paying huge $$ to swap and upgrade to a 392 just gear up a bit.
I like the DSTRAC 70s with 40 spine front/rear too but I'll go with 5.13, which is the strongest. You need at least 42's with those axles, why not the sticky Trep 43's? 42.9x15.3

Use my https://bt39.com/GearWheelSpeed to play with the gears.

Ok..

On the plus side I should have a complete low mile XR suspension and axles to offset the change..
Those will go fast. Much better than putting money into the stock axles.

Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 1656742971823

OP
OP
XtremeRetard

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Canceled the axle thought for now..

Currently installing Rough County heavy duty rock sliders.. I noticed a crease about an inch up on the body each side in the middle. It doesn't show below each door, just the B pillar.. Is this from the oem slider hitting the body?

They were pretty well bashed a few times. Hence the upgrade.

See pic

Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 20220705_194127

OP
OP
XtremeRetard

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 20220705_103224

Rough Country Sliders are on. Marketed as "Heavy Duty", they seem pretty robust. The benefits to me were; 1. Frame-mounted, 2. Boat Sided, 3. Did not require the front red locktite body bolt to come out. 4. Seemed good value.. 5. Space at either end to trim the seam for larger tires, 6. Looked good in the pics :)

Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 20220706_113713

So some install observations.. The brackets are bolt-on with 4x 16mm bolts, the bracket can move maybe 1/4" in any direction. IMO set it hard and straight down as would happen with an impact pushing the slider up against the brackets. The plus here is maximum room/gap with the body and saves it from moving around on impact. I can't imagine standing on them would move it at all in the other direction. The front bracket and mount are super beefy. Way more so than the back 2 which just use the 2 bolts to the side of the large body bolts.. Which by the way DONT need removing, just loosening enough to allow the mounting brackets to fit over the large washer and feed through the 2 side studs.

Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 20220706_113723

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
XtremeRetard

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Highline fender time. I decided to go with the Hyperform/Max Terrain fenders as for $100 more than highline led's and bracket you get a full set of fenders and save cutting the OEM Rubicon stuff up. I can therefore sell off the old fenders.

I remember seeing that you can release the clips without just pulling them off. I did this any only bust the last lower back one as it was hidden and hard to get to.

Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 20220719_105621

I also went with the Paramount inner liners, they were on special and tuck nice and tight up into the fenderwell. I tucked the wiring behind the inner liner. Easy install with just 4 push pins.

Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 20220719_122905

Final install with the clearance over Rubicon measuring 3", maybe a little more. Given the 37's I have cleared with no touching in the front I am pretty confident BFG KM3 39's will fit no problem with the OEM Xtreme Recon bumps.

That's going to be about it for now. I might go 39's after I check clearance over the 37's eventually. But currently no need. Plus my suspension is now maxed out. Shocks are running full stroke, suspension only drops like 0.5" or so without the shocks and the FAD/Lockers wiring is getting tight also at that level, even with it unclipped from the tie points.

So the next step will require all new control arms, wiring extensions, I assume driveshaft etc. Can't see any benefit especially if I can run the 39's as is.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
XtremeRetard

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Hmm budget hack just took a turn towards non budget. I'm not sure it's warranted, but I pulled the trigger on the game changer 3.5

Feedback vs XR with spacer lift to 2.5", 10 inch+ wheel travel pending.

20221019_144216.jpg

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
So.. got my $0 Paint Code White XR in Dec 21

Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 20221019_144216

A few weeks later some dude in a RAM shunted the back in and split the tailgate.. Lucky it was white and I got a second-hand one when I was down in AZ. Local collection. Insurance paid out an extra $1000 so I ploughed that into a Kuafu OEM style front bumper and Apex Badlands 12000lb winch.

Next was the rear bumper which got taken out on a 7 rated trail at Sand Hollow.. Plan B.

$325 from Amazon for a Clamber bumper with license relocation as well as tow hooks and rings.

Next was a cheap set of Rocktrix 17x9" 4.5BS wheels and 37" K02's these fit fine with a little rubbing at the rear only..

So next up was a 3/4 daystar spacer in the back.

At this point the front bumps became the main issue. Almost zero down flex before hard crash into the stops, so things got a little out of control and I ended up with Mopar Lift LCA's, Fox 2.0 IFP shocks and a Daystar 1.5 front spacer to deal with the heavy winch and bumper and to level it out.

I also noticed I had mashed the stock steering stabilizer. Seemed to still work somehow, but ordered a RoughCountry Dual N3 setup to also relocate it above the tie rod.
Do they have red tailgates. I need one for a2021.

OP
OP
XtremeRetard

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
DM sent

Sponsored

OP
OP
XtremeRetard

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
First impressions with MC GC3. 5

Super springy and soft. Flexes easy. Will be good for low speed rocks crawling.

Probably not ideal for highway and easy to day street use. I'm sure there are more planted options out there.

But checks the boxes for me.

Reminds me of 1970s cars with their super soft boat wallowing. Not quite that bad, but close.

I flexed out easy on a rock, bump to full extension pretty much. Jeep stayed level.

20221021_182227.jpg

20221021_182245.jpg

OP
OP
XtremeRetard

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
.. Ok so trail damage on an 8 rated trail meant my plastic fenders vaporized. Well at least one did. False economy. Sure a light hit and they will flex and all is well. But anything harder and they die and your panels take a beat down...

So it was time to install Metalcloak overland fenders..

Had to drop the skids down and noticed that they were also bashing into the side... (More 8 rated trail damage) so enter the Metalcloak Exoskins...

Note to others.. If you are installing these together, do the skins first as you need to lever out the front fender panel to get room behind it to install the rivnuts.. I had already installed the Fenders, so have to take them back off as there is no way the front body panel will move anywhere with all the bolts from the fenders :(

Oh also the OEM drag link took a dump, plus my rear locker sensor... just had the sensor replaced, waiting on the drag link from the dealer... and a new Gorilla Glass windscreen. They gave me the run around on that a little. But so far looks like they will be honoring the warranty. I have about 17,000 miles left on the warranty.

They recommended I install a Teraflex drag link.. hmm.. well, Ill take the OEM one first. But will probably get the Metalcloak stuff next coupon time.

Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 20221207_191417

Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job IMG_20221121_131155_017
Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 20221115_183714

OP
OP
XtremeRetard

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
New fenders working good. Already saved quite a bit of body damage..

20230217_160314.jpg

OP
OP
XtremeRetard

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I decided that I should install the metalcloak geometry correction brackets.

I was hoping to be able to climb steeper walls without binding/digging into the wall rather than driving up it :)

Install was ok. Lining up the UCA hole with the oem and the metalcloak bracket as well as the bushing took most of the effort.

The rest was pretty straight forward. I measured where the axle was centered in the wheel well as well as the pinion angle before I started to make sure I got back to where I started.

Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 20230309_102045

Turned out that the brackets push the LCA's forward like the mopar LCA's do, so its not like for like.

I ended up having to turn my game changer arms in as far as they would go. Even then the axle was like a half inch further forward than before. Oh well, more clearance for the back of the wheel well. Of course the LCA's might have been too short before anyway..

Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 20230309_142156

Finally done and all bolted back up. Just needed to jack the pinion up to dial in the correct angle and adjust the upper arms (Left lowers at min length) to hit the target.

Jeep Wrangler JL XtremeRetard budget build hack job 20230309_161818

Finally, off to test on an 8 rated trail.

First impression is that it rides pavement much better, softening the manholes, cracks, and potholes out by a lot.

Sand and access roads are also noticeably better over ruts, small rocks, etc. The same effect of less crash and more soft bumping over stuff. I drove much faster than usual because of this..

As for rock crawling. Well, I got up the same stuff I could before, but I had a minor perception that it climbed easier with less load on the axle. Im going to have another go at a trail where I could not climb a wall. If it gets up that then it's definitely a great upgrade.

Clearance was not a problem. I never touched the brackets. My sliders and frame on the other hand got what was coming to them.. The angle from the tire to the brackets is so acute that I think the only way to hit them is by missing a rock with your tire and it hitting the bracket instead.

We will see how they go over time. But so far I would say a good semi cost-effective upgrade with noticeable benefits for every day driving.
Sponsored

Last edited: