First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The individual hooked on opiates is 100% responsible for their addiction. These criminals who "are sick" need to be locked up or shot. They made the decision to commit the crimes and I have zero compassion for an addict who decided to put poison into their body.
I hope that no one close to you ever becomes victim to the opiate crisis. Would you be as quick to condemn them to death? [For stealing a wheel in this case.] Do you even hear the hate that you are spewing? Sad little man fondling his guns for gratification.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Can we get this back on track…stolen wheels and best way to prevent.
I thought that we'd settled on that - wheel locks.

True story: When I was a kid my dad's uncle lived in a cabin and thought that he was being victimized by burglars. So...he tied a shotgun to a chair, pointed it at the front door, and rigged a wire between the trigger and the doorknob. He had to crawl in/out of a window to access his dwelling. We all have a little crazy in our gene pool. It just lives closer to the surface in some of us.

Now those were the good old days. :)

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Can we get this back on track…stolen wheels and best way to prevent.
Sorry about that. I think the hardest way for prevention would be all the lug nuts be recessed and locking. Question is how much for 25 locking nuts....

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I bought these when I bought my wheels (currently $165):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2ABJME/

They give you a code for ordering a “key” that removes the lugs. I realize that there isn’t any such thing as a perfect theft prevention, but these will discourage an opportunist. Plus they look great on my wheels.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
OP: sorry to hear of your loss.
nobody should have to put up with theft. i hate thieves. sadly, it's a reality that we live in a world full of them. and of course, they shop in the Good Neighborhoods; that's where the Good Stuff is!

i agree with the people who think we shouldn't have to worry about thieves, yet i have to agree that wheel locks are necessary. (i bought a set before my J**p was delivered, and installed them before i drove the J**p home off the lot. i always have to check the lug-nut torque and tire pressures before i drive anything someone else has recently worked on because i find them wrong most of the time, so i had my torque wrench with me already.)

i agree that wheel locks won't stop a determined thief, but also agree that most thieves aren't determined enough that a set of wheel locks won't make them move on to a less protected vehicle. having a nice fancy wheel hanging out there with only 3 nuts lightly holding it on? just too easy a target for even the most casual thief. odds are high they don't even know what they got; it was just too easy NOT to.

again, sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way. but glad you only lost 1!

as for spares not being available, even in normal times it's been a minute since manufacturers wouldn't release a product until full Spares and Sevice support was available. Marketing just won't allow it any more; "can't miss that Market Window!".

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Sorry about that. I think the hardest way for prevention would be all the lug nuts be recessed and locking. Question is how much for 25 locking nuts....
Prices went up a little since 2019 when I bought a set. I think they were like $130 for the Gorilla set. Today the same set cost about $170. The black set look good. I will say this. My set did start rusting after 2 years. I was told the black finish probably got nicked from the dealer using a impact on them.

Honestly I think the Mopar locks with the rotating sleeve does a pretty good job. Aesthetically they could be better. They can stick out of some wheel designs. Price is about $60 so 1/3 the cost of the full Gorilla set.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
OP: sorry to hear of your loss.
nobody should have to put up with theft. i hate thieves. sadly, it's a reality that we live in a world full of them. and of course, they shop in the Good Neighborhoods; that's where the Good Stuff is!

i agree with the people who think we shouldn't have to worry about thieves, yet i have to agree that wheel locks are necessary. (i bought a set before my J**p was delivered, and installed them before i drove the J**p home off the lot. i always have to check the lug-nut torque and tire pressures before i drive anything someone else has recently worked on because i find them wrong most of the time, so i had my torque wrench with me already.)

i agree that wheel locks won't stop a determined thief, but also agree that most thieves aren't determined enough that a set of wheel locks won't make them move on to a less protected vehicle. having a nice fancy wheel hanging out there with only 3 nuts lightly holding it on? just too easy a target for even the most casual thief. odds are high they don't even know what they got; it was just too easy NOT to.

again, sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way. but glad you only lost 1!

as for spares not being available, even in normal times it's been a minute since manufacturers wouldn't release a product until full Spares and Sevice support was available. Marketing just won't allow it any more; "can't miss that Market Window!".
You're allowed to say "Jeep" on this site. ;)

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wheelin Matt

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
The locks don’t stick out at Allin these wheels….. wish I bought these before some loser stole my spare. 3 locking lug nuts will be holding the new wheel on once I get it! I’m also parking in the garage always now! People suck

4DD48F96-EDB5-4404-B131-807F24303698.jpeg

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

Having a spare is a safety issue so I guess I have to take matters into my own hands again. Not impressed with the customer service after the last 4 vehicles I’ve purchased (2 Ram trucks and 2 Jeep’s).
I may look at Ford trucks next and maybe the Bronco. I feel like Jeep has lost its way
Someone steals your stuff and it's the dealer's fault, or the manufacturer?

Yeah, order a Bronco and get in line, probably Jeep's fault that Ford can't manufacture and deliver Broncos and all of the Bronco hard tops have been recalled?

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I’ve never owned a Ford and my last 4 vehicles have been FCA, might be time to try someone else and see if the customer experience is a little better 🤷🏽‍♂️
You've got to be kidding. As someone that reserved a Bronco in July 2020...yeah, you should try that.
Sponsored