Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
OP,

Hope you get a replacement soon. Regarding the wheel locks, I have the Mopar versions on the same wheels as the XR, and they are more recessed than depicted in previous posts. If someone gets them off with “vice grips” - I’d be surprised. At a minimum it will slow the d-bags down a bit. Pic for reference. Good luck.

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon spare tire stolen, but Not available to order replacement 🤬 9D8976C1-EE0A-4EF4-8F6F-456911BD6A8E
Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Your logic is flawed.

OP is the victim of a crime. Period. He deserves no blame, nor shame for his not installing an anti theft device.

When someone breaks into a house that has no alarm, do you blame the home owner for not installing and posting a sign of an alarm?

If OP had installed a wheel lock, but still had the spare stolen, do you blame him for installing an easily defeated anti theft device? Or blame him for parking on his drive way instead of his garage?

In your view, at what point does the blame gets shifted to the criminals?

It is perfectly fine to advocate for preventative measures so one does not become a target for criminals. But I cannot condone your victim shaming.
Sadly we don’t live in the 1950s or even 1970s when people had more respect for others and there were stronger morals in society. People could go to sleep at night with unlocked doors and feel safe. For the majority of the US that is not so today!

If you expect criminal to leave your property alone then it is incumbent on you to make sure it is secure. Had the OP taken even the lowest level of precaution he might not be missing a wheel. I don’t know anyone that owns a Jeep with an expensive spare tire and rim that doesn’t have the spare tire locked. Its called “Target Hardening”. Doesn’t mean criminals can’t with time still steal the tire just means it makes it harder and in my experience harder means they more often leave it alone.

I am not shaming the OP or saying the thief is a victim. I am just being brutally honest about what could have made this crime possibly never happen.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
All of the comments regarding "Factory Lug Locks", I think I could get the factory lug lock off just as quick as the lug nuts.

Look at the photo below and how far they stick out, lock a pair of Wal-Mart vice grips on and twist. Done. In the "field" it is quicker than finding the correct sized lug wrench to pull the normal lug nuts off.

IMG_1256.jpg

The latest Mopar locks have a sleeve around the lock that spins. You grab it with vice grips and the sleeve will spin and the lock will not.

Also each wheel design is different. Some have different offsets and deeper lug nut wells. I saw a Xtreme Recon wheel at the dealer with What I assume are Mopar wheel locks and the locking lug sits deeper in.

I agree the Mopar locks look like crap on that wheel design.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
And...if you didn't order Gorillas, you should consider canceling your order and buying them instead. Many of us swear by them. A "determined thief" will get past them somewhat easily, but most thieves aren't at that level.
A full set of locking Gorillas will slow down a thief for sure.

I was more concerned about the catalytic converter getting stolen until I learned the cats are on the exhaust manifolds and difficult to get to.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
My spare tire and wheel was stolen from my Jeep, had it less than a week. Called Jeep, who connected me with dealership who couldn’t find any part #’s and was told by “Chrysler” this isn’t available until at least December but no eta.
So I spent $70k and can’t get a replacement wheel for at least a month or two? That’s ridiculous.
I ordered the Mopar bead lock wheel which looks in pictures and specs to be the same wheel but with a silver ring instead of black……. Having a spare is a safety issue so I guess I have to take matters into my own hands again. Not impressed with the customer service after the last 4 vehicles I’ve purchased (2 Ram trucks and 2 Jeep’s).
I may look at Ford trucks next and maybe the Bronco. I feel like Jeep has lost its way

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon spare tire stolen, but Not available to order replacement 🤬 9D8976C1-EE0A-4EF4-8F6F-456911BD6A8E
Did they steal the camera cover as well or were they nice enough to put it back?

Sponsored

WhtRubi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
Damn, that’s terrible. Do you have lock lugs installed?
When even Harbor Freight has a master keyed set of lug nut keys ($99 plus shipping), locking lugs are almost pointless.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
You might be right about looking at Ford trucks or the Bronco.
Nobody in their right mind would steal that $hit.
Your worries are over.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Sadly we don’t live in the 1950s or even 1970s when people had more respect for others and there were stronger morals in society. People could go to sleep at night with unlocked doors and feel safe. For the majority of the US that is not so today!

If you expect criminal to leave your property alone then it is incumbent on you to make sure it is secure. Had the OP taken even the lowest level of precaution he might not be missing a wheel. I don’t know anyone that owns a Jeep with an expensive spare tire and rim that doesn’t have the spare tire locked. Its called “Target Hardening”. Doesn’t mean criminals can’t with time still steal the tire just means it makes it harder and in my experience harder means they more often leave it alone.

I am not shaming the OP or saying the thief is a victim. I am just being brutally honest about what could have made this crime possibly never happen.
You're 100% right. A lot of members on here are emotional and can't handle tough love. The smallest of preventative measures significantly reduce the chance of thievery. The overwhelming majority of robberies nowadays occur because somebody left their front door open or car unlocked. Thieves don't do petty crimes if they won't be in and out easily. A wheel lock is great because it'll cause a thief to just go to the next car, not because it'll truly stop them from getting through it.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I get so upset about people committing crime and getting a slap on the wrist or someone saying “they had no other choice, it’s not their fault” because it’s happened to me. I have empathy for others. I did learn something in this thread, I learned about locking lug nuts and I’ll be getting a set for myself, even though I’ll have stock wheels.

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
You do understand there are parts shortages due to the supply chain issues. With all the container ships waiting to be offloaded, everyone is affected. While it sucks not having your tire right now, you won’t get much relief from any other auto manufacturer.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yep. All of the stock aluminum, and most aluminum wheels for that matter, are made in China.

And if anyone thinks that someone in Jeep corporate headquarters reads these threads, you’re kidding yourself.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
You're 100% right. A lot of members on here are emotional and can't handle tough love. The smallest of preventative measures significantly reduce the chance of thievery. The overwhelming majority of robberies nowadays occur because somebody left their front door open or car unlocked. Thieves don't do petty crimes if they won't be in and out easily. A wheel lock is great because it'll cause a thief to just go to the next car, not because it'll truly stop them from getting through it.
You have your opinion and some of us here have ours. I do no believe in the slightest that locks are an effective deterrent. For the occasional tweaker or opiate addict then maybe. Ask someone who has been pistol whipped or shotgun shoved in their face what they think.

My view on crime has made a 180 since witnessing a robbery at gun point and seeing him get released with nothing more than a slap on the hand. Also a local "pay to enter" county park in a nice area near me almost daily has smash and destroy inside vehicles. The best deterrent is to leave vehicle unlocked and all compartments open and empty. It's at the point of the county putting up signs inside the park

Another popular theft is the 3 man teams of slash and grabs of motorcycles in truck beds. A pickup truck with driver and 2 guys in the bed of truck. They drive around local riding areas and wait for victims to use bathroom, get a bite at restaurants, or get at least 10 seconds away. They each have a utility knife and bolt cutters. Scumbags simply pull alongside truck, jump in the bed, slash tie downs/cut cable or chain, throw bike into their truck and speed off. Under 10 seconds. McDonald parking lot is where it happened to my racing buddy. He watched it while seated and could not get out the door fast enough.

Locks are only to keep the honest people out.

PuppyJeep

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
You have your opinion and some of us here have ours. I do no believe in the slightest that locks are an effective deterrent. For the occasional tweaker or opiate addict then maybe. Ask someone who has been pistol whipped or shotgun shoved in their face what they think.

My view on crime has made a 180 since witnessing a robbery at gun point and seeing him get released with nothing more than a slap on the hand. Also a local "pay to enter" county park in a nice area near me almost daily has smash and destroy inside vehicles. The best deterrent is to leave vehicle unlocked and all compartments open and empty. It's at the point of the county putting up signs inside the park

Another popular theft is the 3 man teams of slash and grabs of motorcycles in truck beds. A pickup truck with driver and 2 guys in the bed of truck. They drive around local riding areas and wait for victims to use bathroom, get a bite at restaurants, or get at least 10 seconds away. They each have a utility knife and bolt cutters. Scumbags simply pull alongside truck, jump in the bed, slash tie downs/cut cable or chain, throw bike into their truck and speed off. Under 10 seconds. McDonald parking lot is where it happened to my racing buddy. He watched it while seated and could not get out the door fast enough.

Locks are only to keep the honest people out.

Interesting state of mind. I wish you the best. Mexico is tough.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I suspect that this is a minority opinion in this group, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised:

I used to have harsh(er) thoughts about thieves until I spent time volunteering at both a homeless shelter and a food bank. I came to realize that every single one of us are 2-3 bad life decisions from being in that position. I reserve much less empathy for the Big Pharma execs (Purdue comes to mind) who get rich exploiting human weakness by offering special incentives to doctors to get patients prescribed OxyContin unnecessarily. I'm not justifying the thieves' actions, but in many cases these people are sick and need help. Have (just a little) compassion for them.

My wife worked in a pharmacy and was held up at gunpoint for OxyContin. Even so, she feels the same way as I do.

Novel thought: maybe even do something to help them.

Until then, use wheel locks, and avoid the issue entirely. :)

And...the OP is 100% a victim here.

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Never bought lug nuts nor wheel locks before , didn't realize there are different sizes...anyone know the lug nut size for the Moab wheels that came on my 2021 Willys??
A full set of locking Gorillas will slow down a thief for sure.

I was more concerned about the catalytic converter getting stolen until I learned the cats are on the exhaust manifolds and difficult to get to.
Sponsored