Xtreme Recon - Removing Steering Stabilizer fixes the right drift issue

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I gotta agree with the sentiment of get an alignment. I dealt with death wobble for two years after having my front end replaced because of a low speed collision. It also developed a pull to the right towards the end - dealer replaced the stabilizer but said the alignment would be on me. I took it to Firestone, and they said my alignment was trashed. After correction, no more wobble, handles the highway fine, tracks true. I have to wonder if the dealer even aligned my front end after the initial repair. I'd never experienced it before I got it back from them.
Sponsored

RubiconOO7

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR, 2015 BMW X5M
Maybe try another dealer if you have one nearby, I had a somewhat similar (OCD frustrating) issue with a Corvette Z06 I had and the dealers were useless. Ended up taking it to a Discount Tire dealer that does absolutely awesome work, and it was resolved.

Cost me ~$100 if I recall, but all the hassles with the dealers and warranty just wasn't worth the time and aggravation.

I'm not saying this was the "correct" solution as it was under warranty, but I'd already spent more time and frustration trying to get it resolved with dealers that couldn't have cared less....

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
I third the recommendation to get the alignment checked. There are plenty of shops that will give you a free alignment check and estimate. After adding spacers to mine I got a pull to the left and when I had it checked the toe was out of alignment. Got it adjusted and it drives great now. (For a Jeep)

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I did try the Foxes through style and it made it even worse over stock over the stock style shock type. I am going to look into finding a shop that specializes in Jeep alignments to see what they say. It sucks to have to start spending $$ on a Jeep with less than 2,500 miles on it
I understand, and that does stink. Good luck with that.

OP
OP

TheDogPack

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon
I gotta agree with the sentiment of get an alignment. I dealt with death wobble for two years after having my front end replaced because of a low speed collision. It also developed a pull to the right towards the end - dealer replaced the stabilizer but said the alignment would be on me. I took it to Firestone, and they said my alignment was trashed. After correction, no more wobble, handles the highway fine, tracks true. I have to wonder if the dealer even aligned my front end after the initial repair. I'd never experienced it before I got it back from them.
The dealer did do an alignment, they just didn't give the read-out.

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I'd get the Mopar oem longer lower front control arms. I believe you just need more caster. They cost under $100 a set, so not much to loose and at XR height, your Jeep needs them.

AndyMcConnell

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR, 2018 Entegra Insignia 44R
Vehicle Showcase
There really is not much they are going to align on a Wrangler, as the only adjustable component on stock components is toe. Toe would evenly apply to both wheels, as it is a single adjustment for the entire tie rod, so that doesn't really contribute to pulling to one side on its own. The dealerships will not adjust caster or camber when there is nothing to adjust on a Wrangler. You can adjust toe yourself in life 5 minutes, and there is nothing more a normal shop can/will do for you, though they can provide exact measurements for how far off the alignment is, so that you know if you need adjustable control arms, track bars, or maybe even the camber adjustment inserts linked earlier in this thread for the knuckles if that is off and worth the adjustment. In most vehicles with more adjustable front ends, camber is the biggest contributor to drift, due to one tire getting more drag and pulling to that side, etc.

Really not sure what folks are claiming the dealer or anyone else is doing for alignment with no adjustable parts on stock components. Maybe some loose stuff being tightened, or toe is so far off that one tire or the other simply has to get the traction and steer the vehicle?

Anyway - the normal steering stabilizer can absolutely push to one side since it is a shock that has a bias outward, but if properly installed a higher grade stabilizer should be unbiased in steering input. very odd that it makes it worse in any case.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
The dealer did do an alignment, they just didn't give the read-out.
They may have checked alignment, but many would argue that even though it’s within spec, it isn’t right.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I do not want to be that person who keeps posting the same topic but this makes no sense.

Brand new 2022 XR Rubicon that has been to the same dealer twice for a drift to the right. The dealer created a case with Jeep but in the end, said "No Issue". I drive with the wheel always slightly pointing to the left which is completely annoying for my OCD. I removed the steering stabilizer and it drives great. 95% of the issue is gone. I thought I should try a new steering stabilizer (Fox performance 2.0 TS) would help but actually made the issue worse.

1 - It makes no sense why the steering stabilizer makes the issue worse, any ideas?
2 - At some point am I going to need to drive with a stabilizer b\c of the impending death wobble that many Jeeps get as you the mileage gets up there?

Thanks for your input!
Something is wrong here.

Lifts, curb strikes, you name it and hard potholes and suddenly your steering wheel is slightly left or right of center.

What I have always done to mitigate the issue is to adjust your linkage. So if you need to go straight and it requires you turn you steering wheel to the left it may not be aligned.

Crawl under and losen the two bolts on the arm that is attached to the Pittman's arm. What you have is a turnbuckle and if you have a helper they can sit behind the wheel as you turn it.

Lift you jeep slightly enough so you can turn the turnbuckle and still have on the ground.

Driveway flat surface

Drive straight in and take note of the angle of your steering wheel, don't touch it!

Loosen the bolts and twist the turnbuckle to adjust. The person behind wheel is watching and will either you are turning the wheel in the right direction or not, then twist the turnbuckle in the opposite direction.

This is how its done on every car I have ever owned, a simple process. YES lifts etc change the steering geometry and you need to adjust. YOU have an XR Rubicon, and it has a different suspension due to taller springs etc in the XR package also 35 OEM tires.

My bet is someone of the assembly line forgot to make the adjustment. IT BOTHERS me that a dealer did not know o mention this.

As for the SS Bias. You SS is in NEUTRAL when your Pittman's arm is correct!!! Unless your SS is bent you should NOT need to make any adjustments to that. What I have done before is disconnect one end of the SS, adjust the pittman arm and reinstall you SS. It should be neutral.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TheDogPack

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon
Adjusting the Turnbuckle fixed the issue - TY
Sponsored