Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

Garage fit: The tires are so wide, you have to have the jeep perfectly straight before you enter garage or tires will bang if you are still tweaking your approach on entry. Also, axles are wider plus width of tires makes it a space hog to park next to the beast, but doable in my suburban sized garage. Other issue is spare is so big that you have to pull very far in. It takes up more room length wise and width than my Jeep Commander. Commander moved out and BMW in to fit next to Jeep XR.
Good information. I wonder how it is in a single garage. It looks to be about 74" across. If accurate it'll be a tight fit into the garage. with the mirrors. SO uses the double-wide for her Cherokee (don't ask).

I'll just need a shoehorn, I reckon!
Sponsored

Planotex

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Willys Xtreme Recon, 2006 Jeep Comdr 4X4
Good information. I wonder how it is in a single garage. It looks to be about 74" across. If accurate it'll be a tight fit into the garage. with the mirrors. SO uses the double-wide for her Cherokee (don't ask).

I'll just need a shoehorn, I reckon!
Mirrors don't matter, tires stick out further than mirrors...takes some getting used to...

Planotex

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Willys Xtreme Recon, 2006 Jeep Comdr 4X4
I put circles where the tires used to sit...remember this was called a "Suburban Sized Garage" in 1988. I had to slid Commander as far right as possible and the JLUWXR hogs so much width that I had to fold the Commander mirror in to get through. Height wise, they are about the same with the roof rack on Commander. My entrance is 7' with 10' garage height. I have plenty of room in front...
Jeep Wrangler JL XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread 1678473412397

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

FWIW we rebuilt our in-city garage about 20 years ago. The building foot print makes it a generous 1 car garage. I elected to add an over sized door (9x8) and raise the height 1 foot. The perspective is a bit off but my XR fits through the door easily and I have ~ 20 feet of depth.
My concern is later this summer when I swap tops. With my non XR I could just barely park under the hard top with the soft top on and closed. I am pretty sure I am going to have to mess around further with my hoist to do that going forward
Jeep Wrangler JL XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread 7CBF0D4A-0D6C-4B7B-A7C5-0EFD6B20E316

shnider10

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Latest Mod!

Added the Mopar Electric Brake Controller! Clean look, pain to install! Until next time friends.
Jeep Wrangler JL XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread 3292A161-D598-4106-80C7-BD817ADCCA5F

Sponsored

Plumbean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon XR
Pricing out a Willys JLUXR with the 2.0 and the sun and sound package. Trying to add the cold weather package but it keeps bumping off the XR package. Is this something new or would the dealer be able to add it when they do the order?
When I ordered mine there was a glitch in the ordering software such that if you added certain options later in the process it would remove the cold weather package. The package was available you just needed to add it back on at the end before placing the order. I almost missed it, which would have really pissed me off as that package is really nice to have if you live somewhere that has a real winter and you park outside. Sounds like they may not have fixed it.

frank-o

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 SOT, JLUR SOT, Prior JLUR Sting, 10thA JKUR
FWIW we rebuilt our in-city garage about 20 years ago. The building foot print makes it a generous 1 car garage. I elected to add an over sized door (9x8) and raise the height 1 foot. The perspective is a bit off but my XR fits through the door easily and I have ~ 20 feet of depth.
My concern is later this summer when I swap tops. With my non XR I could just barely park under the hard top with the soft top on and closed. I am pretty sure I am going to have to mess around further with my hoist to do that going forward
Jeep Wrangler JL XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread 3292A161-D598-4106-80C7-BD817ADCCA5F
What if you hang the top at the back of the garage and pull in so the top hangs over the hood when parked? Back in with soft top off / down to reinstall hard top?

chris_tofu_r

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New: 2023 Rubicon XR Old: 2021 Rubicon 392
Occupation
Army
Has anyone replaced their XR shocks with no other plans for suspension mods? Iā€™m curious as to wether people are ordering for 0-1.5ā€ or 2-3.5ā€ lift (Fox for example). Thanks!

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

What if you hang the top at the back of the garage and pull in so the top hangs over the hood when parked? Back in with soft top off / down to reinstall hard top?
I have shelves hanging from the joists across the backā€¦if I can condense and remove some of the crap up there I may remove a section.

Sponsored

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR Sting Gray - Ordered 2/10/22
Clubs

Has anyone replaced their XR shocks with no other plans for suspension mods? Iā€™m curious as to wether people are ordering for 0-1.5ā€ or 2-3.5ā€ lift (Fox for example). Thanks!
My question would be why do you want to replace them without any other mods? In other words, what do you want out of a replacement shock? I wanted more extension or droop, so I added Teraflex 1.1 (2-3.5ā€). I do have 1.5ā€ spacers up front though Iā€™ve only netted about 0.5ā€ on top of the 1.5ā€ XR factory lift.

Before you buy new shocks, you need to understand all of the measurements. Not all shocks are created equal.

Edit: Here are some measurement comparisons. Note the Fox 2.0 0-1.5 vs 2-3.5 is not shorter/longer than the other. It comes down to where you see an increase (bump vs droop).

See numbers below:

Stock XR 1.5"Fox 2.0 IFP 0-1.5Fox 2.0 IFP 2-3.5
Min17.2516.2516.75
Max24.3825.8526.25
Stroke7.139.609.50
Bump Increase-1.000.50
Droop Increase-1.471.87

Here is a good article...
https://accutuneoffroad.com/how-to-measure-for-jeep-shocks/

Last edited:

chris_tofu_r

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Army
My question would be why do you want to replace them without any other mods? In other words, what do you want out of a replacement shock? I wanted more extension or droop, so I added Teraflex 1.1 (2-3.5ā€). I do have 1.5ā€ spacers up front though Iā€™ve only netted about 0.5ā€ on top of the 1.5ā€ XR factory lift.

Before you buy new shocks, you need to understand all of the measurements. Not all shocks are created equal. Here is a good articleā€¦
https://accutuneoffroad.com/how-to-measure-for-jeep-shocks/
Obviously, all things are going to be subjective. To answer your question, Iā€™m looking for a ā€œbetterā€ ride for myself both on and off road, which I feel like a quality adjustable shock replacement could do for me. Iā€™m okay with the height of the XR lift and the lack of travel, I would just prefer an adjustable shock.

My question is pretty simple. With no other suspension modifications, what shock length is correct for the XR? Manufacturers seem to market shocks for the JL all off of lift height, and the Mopar lift on the XR kind of lives in a gray area due to height over a stock JLU and then the lack of travel due to bump stops and lift height.

And thanks for the Accutune plug, I planned on ordering from them. šŸ¤˜

** that spec sheet you added at the end is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Obviously, all things are going to be subjective. To answer your question, Iā€™m looking for a ā€œbetterā€ ride for myself both on and off road, which I feel like a quality adjustable shock replacement could do for me. Iā€™m okay with the height of the XR lift and the lack of travel, I would just prefer an adjustable shock.

My question is pretty simple. With no other suspension modifications, what shock length is correct for the XR? Manufacturers seem to market shocks for the JL all off of lift height, and the Mopar lift on the XR kind of lives in a gray area due to height over a stock JLU and then the lack of travel due to bump stops and lift height.

And thanks for the Accutune plug, I planned on ordering from them. šŸ¤˜
Chris, I edited and added measurements to my previous post that may help. While your question is simple, I don't think the answer is as straightforward. Hope others can give you that magical answer you're looking for. I get a little into the weeds, which is why I included the article. I think it's important to take those measurements, as everyone is different depending on their setup. Even from the factory, the XR was inconsistent with spring parts and bump stop extensions...hope that is all in the past. Good luck!

chris_tofu_r

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Army
Chris, I edited and added measurements to my previous post that may help. While your question is simple, I don't think the answer is as straightforward. Hope others can give you that magical answer you're looking for. I get a little into the weeds, which is why I included the article. I think it's important to take those measurements, as everyone is different depending on their setup. Even from the factory, the XR was inconsistent with spring parts and bump stop extensions...hope that is all in the past. Good luck!
I actually edited my post to say thanks, because those measurements you edited in were exactly what I was looking for. Shouldā€™ve been more specific in my question. Cheers

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I actually edited my post to say thanks, because those measurements you edited in were exactly what I was looking for. Shouldā€™ve been more specific in my question. Cheers
Good deal, glad I could help. Also, I included a few other calculations below, as your "potential" bump increase may be nullified by your current bump spacing. For example, the Fox shocks have the potential to increase bump, but likely wouldn't based on the long XR bump stop tubes. So you would only net a slight increase in droop. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Stock XR 1.5"Fox 2.0 IFP 0-1.5Fox 2.0 IFP 2-3.5
Min17.2516.2516.75
Max24.3825.8526.25
Stroke7.139.609.50
Bump Increase (potential)-1.000.50
Droop Increase-1.471.87
Potential Bump (to shock bottom)4.755.755.25
Actual Bump (to stop)3.503.503.50
Droop2.383.854.25
Sponsored