XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I too am counting down the days until I return to Moab. Last year when I was there I had a 2020 Willys JLU. Didn’t feel comfortable tackling a lot of things. There was one trail in Arches National Park I bailed on as well.

I’m going to try and educate myself as best I can as to whether I should change anything on my XR (the front bump stop issue for example). I’ve got some time before I head back out there.
I worried about the bumpstops too, but honestly I didn’t feel like I struck them at all. I’ve bottomed out on the street in a construction rut doing 40mph, but crawling was just fine.

I may look into lifting to be able to clear 37’s for more break over, because I did scrape bottom once or twice on a couple of obstacles. Getting up off the ground a little higher would be nice. But all told, my expectations were far exceeded.

r.stevens

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Today I drove my XR up to Ann Arbor (about 50 mins. North of me). When I pulled in my driveway it showed 19.0 miles per gallon. Was pretty pleased with that. I would say I was driving a little more conservative than normal though because of the freak snow storm at the time.

My 2020 Willys with 33s was maybe at best only 20 or 21 mpg for similar trips.

Schmack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2022 JLUXR
Where do you go in Shenandoah? I'm in Fredericksburg and looking to do some wheeling with my first jeep.
Growing up, we mostly did side trails Rt. 33 West from Harrisonburg to WV. A good many trails there are closed now due to people trashing them. I have some spots in the George Washington National Forest closer to Staunton I go to now. Tend to do tamer trips then when I was young.

Seems like more and more people are going to off road parks type places. Here is one just outside of Harrisonburg. https://bigboysplaygroundllc.com

Sponsored

shnider10

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Is a leveling kit necessary with the XR package? If so, what do you all recommend?

shnider10

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Growing up, we mostly did side trails Rt. 33 West from Harrisonburg to WV. A good many trails there are closed now due to people trashing them. I have some spots in the George Washington National Forest closer to Staunton I go to now. Tend to do tamer trips then when I was young.

Seems like more and more people are going to off road parks type places. Here is one just outside of Harrisonburg. https://bigboysplaygroundllc.com
I live in Franklin WV! Looking forward to some light trails.

Mikecoffman911

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry JLURXR
Occupation
Engineer/Builder/living a great life!!!!
Is a leveling kit necessary with the XR package? If so, what do you all recommend?
Following this question. I have spring and spacer lifts sitting in the shop - still wondering what is the best way to level it. I have the steel bumper, warn winch, Mopar bar and Mopar 7" lights on the front and I do have some drop there.

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
Following this question. I have spring and spacer lifts sitting in the shop - still wondering what is the best way to level it. I have the steel bumper, warn winch, Mopar bar and Mopar 7" lights on the front and I do have some drop there.
Same. Winch, steel bumper looking to get rid of the rake

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR Sting Gray - Ordered 2/10/22
Clubs

I'm curious to hear what others are doing as well. In terms of it being necessary, well, there is definitely a front factory rake, the extent of which will depend on what you have up front. You would probably need 1/2" to a full inch spacer to level things out. Factory rake is probably 1/2" to 3/4". Steel bumper, winch and lights will probably amount to another 1/2", so I'm planning on a full inch spacer up front.

I'm also curious if 2.5" taller springs would have the same effect as a 1" spacer on the taller XR springs. Shock extensions may also be warranted, if keeping the Mopar XR shocks. In addition, the longer Mopar lift LCA's should be considered as well. Can of worms opened.

Sponsored

shnider10

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
I'm curious to hear what others are doing as well. In terms of it being necessary, well, there is definitely a front factory rake, the extent of which will depend on what you have up front. You would probably need 1/2" to a full inch spacer to level things out. Factory rake is probably 1/2" to 3/4". Steel bumper, winch and lights will probably amount to another 1/2", so I'm planning on a full inch spacer up front.

I'm also curious if 2.5" taller springs would have the same effect as a 1" spacer on the taller XR springs. Shock extensions may also be warranted, if keeping the Mopar XR shocks. In addition, the longer Mopar lift LCA's should be considered as well. Can of worms opened.
Yeah. I wasn’t sure how much rake came from factory. I have the plastic bumper on mine for now.

VASKI2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Come wheeling in the Shenandoah Valley and you may see your twin (at least until the mods get delivered and I have the time to install them)
Absolutely ! Mods are already ordered.. just don't have a jeep to put them on yet.. still in waiting to schedule build status .. ugh.. but for sure .. I'm in !

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Guys, I’m still smiling from this weekend in Moab. Those of you who haven’t gotten your XR’s yet, you’re gonna love them!!! So incredibly capable, right from the factory. My 5 (Moab scale) rated trail experience was a breeze, even for this novice.

Last edited:

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR Sting Gray - Ordered 2/10/22
Clubs

Guys, I’m still smiling from this weekend in Moab. Those of you who haven’t gotten your XR’s yet, you’re gonna love them!!! So incredibly capable, right from the factory. My 5 (Moab scale) rated trail experience was a breeze, even for this novice.
I can believe it. I rented a slightly modified Rubicon (with 35's) from Cliffhanger in Moab last year and was instantly hooked. Without any prior experience, was able to get through Fins & Things and Hells Revenge unscathed. I can't wait to head back to Moab in Sep/Oct with my own to test out the limits. I thought you mentioned this earlier, but was that the Poison Spider trail you're referring to?

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I can believe it. I rented a slightly modified Rubicon (with 35's) from Cliffhanger in Moab last year and was instantly hooked. Without any prior experience, was able to get through Fins & Things and Hells Revenge unscathed. I can't wait to head back to Moab in Sep/Oct with my own to test out the limits. I thought you mentioned this earlier, but was that the Poison Spider trail you're referring to?
Nope, my “5” was Porcupine Rim. Just a constant barrage of ledges and shelves.
Sponsored