Sponsored

Xtreme Recon: Anyone switch halogen with led?

tavani21

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Willys
Anyone switch out halogen tail lights with aftermarket leds on the xtreme recon? Since there is an additional piece between body and light, are any mods needed?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is that the spacer is there for the Blind Spot Monitor to work, due to XR’s wider tires and flares.

If you don’t have BSM, you might not need the spacer.

Good luck.

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon: Anyone switch halogen with led? 1642219320876

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I wondered why they include it like that on vehicles without BSM. I didn’t order mine with BSM or other safety group stuff, I had all those things on my Subi, and grew to hate them, too intrusive. I hate the little outpouching on the tail lights, and knowing it serves no purpose on mine is even more aggravating. I do have the LED kit.

All the more reason to look at some oracle flush mount lights I suppose.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wondered why they include it like that on vehicles without BSM. I didn’t order mine with BSM or other safety group stuff, I had all those things on my Subi, and grew to hate them, too intrusive. I hate the little outpouching on the tail lights, and knowing it serves no purpose on mine is even more aggravating. I do have the LED kit.

All the more reason to look at some oracle flush mount lights I suppose.
All JL LED taillights have the BSM pods built into them. It’s part of the LED tail light design.

I don’t know how Subaru’s BSM works, but Jeep’s works like a charm. It is very precise.

The Mazda-designed BSM in my Fiat 124 Spider is absolute crap, though. That thing lights up all the time, even when there’s no one in my blind spot. It’s just decor.

OP
OP

tavani21

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Willys
My understanding is that the spacer is there for the Blind Spot Monitor to work, due to XR’s wider tires and flares.

Good luck.

Thx! Makes sense. Wasn't sure if it would need a different bracket in back of light to line everything up inside. But I guess if it does
All JL LED taillights have the BSM pods built into them. It’s part of the LED tail light design.

I don’t know how Subaru’s BSM works, but Jeep’s works like a charm. It is very precise.

The Mazda-designed BSM in my Fiat 124 Spider is absolute crap, though. That thing lights up all the time, even when there’s no one in my blind spot. It’s just decor.
I ordered the raxiom led tail lights that look similar to oem. They have the frame of the halogen but the lens of the led. For such an expensive jeep, you would think certain models would come with led all around. Jeep really nickel and dimes you.

Sponsored

path0s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I don't have BSM on my XR, but I don't see it being an issue to run any typical JL tails if you don't have BSM. The quarter panel is the same as the typical JL, so any tail light will mount. I've never been a fan of BSM, don't like that people become lazy and start to rely on it, instead of checking their spots.

As far as LED package, I prefer aftermarket options. Just installed my oracles the other day. Absolutely love them, I actually prefer them over my JW speakers that were in my JK.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician

Oh the Subaru’s worked well too. I just got sick of the car’s computer constantly trying to tell me how to drive. All the little alarm tones when the radar would aquire a car in front of me, or when the car in front left my lane etc, the lane keep assist trying to nudge me all the time, even if I wasn’t drifting from my lane; even trying to “force me back” when I wasn’t leaving my lane, which ended up just swerving me toward the next lane over.

it was like a constant barrage of bells, lights, steering inputs etc. I’m the end, it grew too obnoxious and I just ended up shutting it all off most of the time.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Oh the Subaru’s worked well too. I just got sick of the car’s computer constantly trying to tell me how to drive. All the little alarm tones when the radar would aquire a car in front of me, or when the car in front left my lane etc, the lane keep assist trying to nudge me all the time, even if I wasn’t drifting from my lane; even trying to “force me back” when I wasn’t leaving my lane, which ended up just swerving me toward the next lane over.

it was like a constant barrage of bells, lights, steering inputs etc. I’m the end, it grew too obnoxious and I just ended up shutting it all off most of the time.
My Toyota Tacoma was like that! It beeped for this, that and that other thing. Gawd I hated it.

One time I got home, stoped the engine and locked the truck. Then it started beeping. Unlocked it and it stopped. Locked it and it started again. I checked that all the windows were closed, the sunroof was closed, the rear slider was closed. Checked everything I could think of but it kept on beeping. I couldn’t tell what the hell it wanted. After several minutes of this I was ready to put a round through it.

Finally, in total frustration I simply walked away; I figured the stupid truck couldn’t just keep on beeping forever. I was right; it eventually shut the f*ck up! To this day I don’t know why it beeped like that and, to be honest, I don’t care!

Every time I watch a Ford Bronco video and hear all those stupid bells, beeps and chimes it drives me nuts.

I’m glad FCA has always refrained from adding unnecessary bells, beeps and chimes to its vehicles.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
My Toyota Tacoma was like that! It beeped for this, that and that other thing. Gawd I hated it.

One time I got home, stoped the engine and locked the truck. Then it started beeping. Unlocked it and it stopped. Locked it and it started again. I checked that all the windows were closed, the sunroof was closed, the rear slider was closed. Checked everything I could think of but it kept on beeping. I couldn’t tell what the hell it wanted. After several minutes of this I was ready to put a round through it.

Finally, in total frustration I simply walked away; I figured the stupid truck couldn’t just keep on beeping forever. I was right; it eventually shut the f*ck up! To this day I don’t know why it beeped like that and, to be honest, I don’t care!

Every time I watch a Ford Bronco video and hear all those stupid bells, beeps and chimes it drives me nuts.

I’m glad FCA has always refrained from adding unnecessary bells, beeps and chimes to its vehicles.
About the only feature I wish the JL had that the Subi had, is a tailgate lock combo. Or even a driver door one.

I do a lot of Mountain Biking, Hiking, Flyfishing etc. it was nice to be able to toss everything I didn’t want to carry on my person, car keys included, in the cargo area (covered up) and use the keyless unlock system to tap in a code to lock and unlock the vehicle without needing the fob on my person.

Small thing, I know. But I enjoyed that feature more than any other. Made for one less thing to find a spot in my pack for, and to keep an eye on.

I could always find a spot way in the bottom of the pack for a valet key just incase the battery died or something, but I never had to get it out. I’d just tap out my code and the vehicle unlocked.

Other than that, I prefer the simplicity of the JL in every other way, by a lot.

HuskerJL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR - Black
I replaced the halogen tail lights on my XR and you do not need the bracket to make them fit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tavani21

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Willys
I don't have BSM on my XR, but I don't see it being an issue to run any typical JL tails if you don't have BSM. The quarter panel is the same as the typical JL, so any tail light will mount. I've never been a fan of BSM, don't like that people become lazy and start to rely on it, instead of checking their spots.

As far as LED package, I prefer aftermarket options. Just installed my oracles the other day. Absolutely love them, I actually prefer them over my JW speakers that were in my JK.
I replaced the halogen tail lights on my XR and you do not need the bracket to make them fit.
Thx! So you can do a simple swap with or without that additional piece. Much appreciated.

Xtreme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler XR
Did you use the bracket or install without it? Will they fit either way, with or without the bracket?

HuskerJL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR - Black
Did you use the bracket or install without it? Will they fit either way, with or without the bracket?
No bracket needed, the taillights from a non-XR fit.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Good luck.

I am very interested in finding that frame/ trim piece behind the tail lights as I am sure it is a different piece with its own part number! @AllMoparParts.com