First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
Turbo engine will have have higher Torque and hp across the whole range.

Superchargers would need rpm to build the power.
I should hope so...should get some benefit from having turbos and a smaller engine.

What I'm referring to is power delivery, sound, how it feels, longevity/reliability, complexity/simplicity, temperature, etc.

The smallish gains in hp/tq and MPG aren't worth it to me (and I'm sure I'm not alone).
Sponsored

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 2018 Tundra 2018 4Runner 69 Chevelle
I should hope so...should get some benefit from having turbos and a smaller engine.

What I'm referring to is power delivery, sound, how it feels, longevity/reliability, complexity/simplicity, temperature, etc.

The smallish gains in hp/tq and MPG aren't worth it to me (and I'm sure I'm not alone).
I prefer high compression NA for my street car, for off-road I want low end torque like only a diesel can provide. Jeep with a 392 Hemi. I wasn’t even interested in. If I want to get the thrill of acceleration I’ll drive my car. Manufacturers don’t necessarily care what some people want. If they can increase power/mpg and get it out of warranty they look at it as a win win.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
I prefer high compression NA for my street car, for off-road I want low end torque like only a diesel can provide. Jeep with a 392 Hemi. I wasn’t even interested in. If I want to get the thrill of acceleration I’ll drive my car. Manufacturers don’t necessarily care what some people want. If they can increase power/mpg and get it out of warranty they look at it as a win win.
Turbo diesels are the most efficient and reliable engines around. There's a reason why all the long haul trucks use them.

I REALLY wanted a Rubicon with the Diesel engine, along with the XR package, but for whatever reason they wouldn't put the XR package on any diesel Jeeps.

As far as compression and torque, the 392 checks all the boxes. It's got a compression ratio similar to some famous race engines of the past. Problem is that the pistons have the rings too close to the combustion chamber, and the ring lands are susceptible to detonation. The engine is stout and will run forever if maintained - but I'm not going to go crazy on it like I did with the 4.7 V8 in the Grand Cherokee. One moment of high speed engine knock, and it's all over with.

That said, this really isn't a high speed engine. It throws out great torque at low RPMs, so I'm happy. If I can find another one with the diesel and the XR package, I'll get it for my wife. The MPG is great on those, and even if diesel is stupid expensive these days, it's still worth it.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Turbo engine will have have higher Torque and hp across the whole range.

Superchargers would need rpm to build the power.
FAIL

You have this backwards. SC is a fixed air volume in proportion to engine rpm. So has more torque from idle than turbo will ever have.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
FAIL

You have this backwards. SC is a fixed air volume in proportion to engine rpm. So has more torque from idle than turbo will ever have.
"fixed" and "proportional" are mutually exclusive terms.

Superchargers are proportional to RPM; turbos are proportional to exhaust; neither are "fixed".

Turbos do deliver 90% peak torque at just above idle (~1200 RPM)