hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully someone has the official service manual for both the standard 392 and the 392 XR. I've heard all kinds of things about the XR package, including the addition of the 1.5" lift (I think it's the simple spacer donuts on the springs) on top of the 392's standard suspension. I guess I'll know for sure when I take a look at mine when it comes in.
No spacer donuts, no difference in springs, etc. this has been beat to death on the 392 owners group on FB which the product lead is always weighing in and providing accurate details. They have same lift height
Sponsored

King Mopar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hellcat, 2022 392XR, 2020 JLU
Hopefully someone has the official service manual for both the standard 392 and the 392 XR. I've heard all kinds of things about the XR package, including the addition of the 1.5" lift (I think it's the simple spacer donuts on the springs) on top of the 392's standard suspension. I guess I'll know for sure when I take a look at mine when it comes in.
Yes, that would be nice for sure. Or even more detail on the 392 package in their advertising. The 392 has a hardier spring which is why some are saying it sits an 1.5 over a stock "unlifted Rubicon". However a stock unlifted Rubicon already sits an inch plus taller and has different suspension components than lower trim levels. The additional inch and a half is a combination of a heavy duty spring/shock, and spacer spacer based on inital looks. Then as mentioned you also have additional rubber.

King Mopar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It may be "real news" from Jeep - but they may be calculating things differently. I *think* the stock 392 run on 32" tires. Increasing that to 35" gives the car approximately 1.5" of additional ground clearance. Add that to the 1.5" lift on the stock chassis gets it pretty close to 3" (until things settle and the tires wear).
So you think the stock 392 Rubicon comes with smaller tires than the non 392 Rubicon? It does not. They both come standard with 33" tires unless you order the XR package.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
So you think the stock 392 Rubicon comes with smaller tires than the non 392 Rubicon? It does not. They both come standard with 33" tires unless you order the XR package.
Agreed - I corrected my post. According to the manufacturer, stock Rubicon's run on 32.7" tires, and the XR runs on 34.4" tires. The metric thing always gets me... This may explain why the net ride height is virtually the same between the two. The difference in those would only equate to about 0.85" between the two, which most wouldn't notice.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Actually since the 392XR cannot be ordered and likely will never be offered again in its current form, you can say whatever you like since it won’t really impact anyone trying to decide what to buy…. So have at. I will start.

392XRs will get 25MPG on unicorn blood. I read that on a forum. Jeep has repeatedly said that it doesn’t and that the 392 and 392XR will get the same MPG on unicorn blood. But it gets 25MPG!

Sponsored

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually since the 392XR cannot be ordered and likely will never be offered again in its current form, you can say whatever you like since it won’t really impact anyone trying to decide what to buy…. So have at. I will start.

392XRs will get 25MPG on unicorn blood. I read that on a forum. Jeep has repeatedly said that it doesn’t and that the 392 and 392XR will get the same MPG on unicorn blood. But it gets 25MPG!
This seems credible to me - especially when you factor in that the XR will be built out of unobtainium, that changes everything.

clickclickboom

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392, BMW X3M Comp, Audi S4, KTM Superduke
Ok, Since I don't have mine yet. Someone with an XR and no winch, take a measurement from center of the center cap to the top of the flare. And can someone with a non-XR take the same measurement except to where the flare would attach. It would also be nice if they had the same roof. These measurements should be close to the same.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, Since I don't have mine yet. Someone with an XR and no winch, take a measurement from center of the center cap to the top of the flare. And can someone with a non-XR take the same measurement except to where the flare would attach. It would also be nice if they had the same roof. These measurements should be close to the same.
This will give most accurate measurement so this can be put to bed for good :)

Jeep Wrangler JL XR Xtreme Recon Package removed from 392 order banks 73F1600C-2960-4ECB-B622-186398191781

pic creds go to Roky 👍🏻

Andras

First Name
Andras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover LR4, Jeep Wrangler JL
I wonder if it's a mechanical issue. Thoughts?

I can't find the original post but I scanned over it awhile back. The jist was the 392 weight and a shock bump issue. I also seen a non-392 XR at the dealer in dire need of spring correction.

Anyway, hope its temporary.
I'm with you on this one. I found the supply chain excuse bogus - why would your offer the xr on lower cost vehicles (even if some parts are different) and hold on the 392 where they make much more money.
I have an XR 392 on order since december - the dealer just told me I'm scheduled for assembly in mid-april.
I also have a buddy who has a 392 XR and complains about hitting the bump stop in regular driving on speed bumps (he had an unlifted JL before, so he knows what to compare it to).

I think Jeep realized there is a problem with the XR on the 392 (heavy front) and did a stop order to fix it.
Hope I get the fixed one.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I saw on some video that the heat from the 392 on long trips has caused the front wheel liner to loosen.

Sponsored

King Mopar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm with you on this one. I found the supply chain excuse bogus - why would your offer the xr on lower cost vehicles (even if some parts are different) and hold on the 392 where they make much more money.
I have an XR 392 on order since december - the dealer just told me I'm scheduled for assembly in mid-april.
I also have a buddy who has a 392 XR and complains about hitting the bump stop in regular driving on speed bumps (he had an unlifted JL before, so he knows what to compare it to).

I think Jeep realized there is a problem with the XR on the 392 (heavy front) and did a stop order to fix it.
Hope I get the fixed one.
I have confirmed the XR is not coming back to the 392. I have a 22' 392 XR set up with 37's, 70lb. winch and bull bar and haven't had any issues with bump stops.

I don't have any current explanation on why the removed the XR option from the 392 but I would guess it has more to do with the build process at the factory for the 392. Once mine was built it sat for almost a month in the aftermarket department. My guess is that was mostly due to the XR option.

Who knows though - honestly don't know that we will ever hear the truth. After a few thousand miles I haven't had a single issue with mine yet.

King Mopar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw on some video that the heat from the 392 on long trips has caused the front wheel liner to loosen.
Those fender liners are so cheap they get soft on any powertrain sitting outside in 90+ degree or direct sun for to long. I am pretty sure they are made at the same factory Wal-Mart plastic bags are made.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Not surprised.

Knowing that Jeeps have had tinny tires forever before the Rubi 33s and now 35s because of liability and
seeing how people with 392 tend to race them, Jeep probably saw a catastrophe waiting to happen with the combination of that kind of power, a suspension lift and 35 inch tires.

But I may be wrong ;)

Reactions: LCW

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I heard it was basically a demand issue. They sell a ton more of the standard Jeeps than the 392s, and the 392s sell like at capacity as it is, so they're allocating the remaining XR parts to the non-392 Jeeps to move more of them. The rationale is that the $4k package is a relatively high-margin package on a $40k Jeep - but not so much on a $90k Jeep. Sounds like a bean counter decision to me, but that's corporate America that we all love.

Andras

First Name
Andras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover LR4, Jeep Wrangler JL
I have confirmed the XR is not coming back to the 392. I have a 22' 392 XR set up with 37's, 70lb. winch and bull bar and haven't had any issues with bump stops.

I don't have any current explanation on why the removed the XR option from the 392 but I would guess it has more to do with the build process at the factory for the 392. Once mine was built it sat for almost a month in the aftermarket department. My guess is that was mostly due to the XR option.

Who knows though - honestly don't know that we will ever hear the truth. After a few thousand miles I haven't had a single issue with mine yet.
how did you confirm that it's not coming back? that's interesting...
Sponsored