Sponsored

XR Xtreme Recon and High Tide -- tire pressure lesson learned

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
wheel width has a huge impact on contact patch given a tire's width

skinny wheels with wide tires will roll the contact patch more than a wide wheel.

xr wheels are what 8" wide with a 315mm width tire. take that same tire a the same psi on a 9.5" wide wheel and you'll see a better contact patch and less tread bulge.

my point is it's not just about air pressure.
So are smaller wheels with wider tires meant to have a full contact?
Sponsored

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I have one that was cheaper but reads in tenths of a pound. The chuck is worthless though.
The chuck on this thing is fantastic.
I actually bought an accessory chuck from them after the fact and installed it on the bike pump I use for the kids bikes. (adult bikes are all presta valves)

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The OEM recommended tire pressure is based on the vehicle running at max GVW and the max towing load. They do this to be on the safe side to ensure there is sufficient pressure in the worse case scenario....unfortunately most people aren't smart enough to handle having light load versus heavy load tire pressures and would turn around and sue people if they wreck their vehicle because of this.

With that said, I'm kinda' surprised that somebody is reporting that much of a difference between 37 and 32 psi. You could see that much difference in a day if it's cold out in the morning and warms up quite a bit while you cruise down the freeway. In cases like that you don't expect people to adjust their air pressure in the tires throughtout the day by a few pounds.
No, but on a cold day, the tire carcass is also much stiffer.

If the truck is in the garage at home, pressure is 34 when I start driving.
If the truck is at our place in the mountains and it's really cold, the pressure can be 30 deg.

If anything the truck feels stiffer when I start driving in the cold. That also has something to do with the stiffness of the bushings and the viscosity of the shock oil.

Either way, once the trucks been driven for a while I can't really feel any difference in ride when its cold or when its warm.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
For me, I just test it out myself. I drop mine to 31 psi and the ride quality is way better, the gas mileage is acceptable, and the wear on the tread is acceptable. But all 3 of those qualifiers are subjective. Because i only go about 5k miles a year, I plan on replacing tires well before they're completely worn (probably every 20k miles), and i don't drive it enough for worse gas mileage to even come close to breaking the bank. So for me, ride quality is about the only thing that matters. Once you start getting below 30 I start getting that "floating" feeling, and above 35 I feel every rock and pebble on the road, so.... 31 is where I like it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capt. Don

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
Occupation
US Merchant Marine Master, 100T
Vehicle Showcase
Been daily driving my XR at 33-35 psi. Did a 1000 miles round trip last spring after new, 35-36 psi on highway. Been great.
Our roads are rough on this island. With my son ((JKURAEV) coaching me in my High Tide XR it became quickly apparent how much harder I was on my equipment (tires, shocks, suspension, bump stops) at 37 psi versus 30 psi in back to back testing. I’m a hardhead when it comes to the idea of not following manufacturer’s specifications. But the Jeep JLUXR is much happier with 30 psi in those 35s.
As for mileage, yesterday aired down to 31 psi, driving round trip from Humacao to Old San Juan with some hills and some city driving mostly 50-60 mph but with about 30 minutes of city, three hours of driving averaged 22.1 mpg. That might be just a bit less than 37 psi tires for the same loop but I can’t measure it. That is great mileage. Hard for me to believe that the same Model Jeep High Tide XR with the eTorque V-6 and 850re trans and 4.56 axles on some smooth US highways are only getting 16-18 mpg at 75 mph. So it seems to me that speed rather than tire pressure is really driving the difference. You won’t notice the difference in mileage airing down to 30 psi under 60 mph. Above that you will need to run your own test. Is 75 mph worth a 20-25% decrease in mileage versus 60 mph? Just asking. I guess Island driving is a bit different. That is quite a trade-off though.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Surprised it took you 4500 miles to try lowering the recommended tire air pressure since you had a rough ride. Quite a few posts on here mention that for all models but glad you figured it out so the wife and you can have a better ride.

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
You are welcome.

It reads in half psi increments. so to get them all EXACTLY the same, and I realize its ridiculous to do, but I kind of just wanted to see if I could do it.

I would run the tire up to 32 psi. then let air out with the bleeder in 3 second increments until I got to 31.5. Then I would tap the bleeder for 1 second and read until it showed 31.

I did that on all 4 and its essentially the same.

Yes, over kill and stupid. I realize that.
https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-921...s=automotive&sprefix=tire+pres,aps,130&sr=1-1

so easy a retard could do it.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
OP
OP
Capt. Don

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Surprised it took you 4500 miles to try lowering the recommended tire air pressure since you had a rough ride. Quite a few posts on here mention that for all models but glad you figured it out so the wife and you can have a better ride.
Yeh , pretty dumb. That is why I posted.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capt. Don

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The OEM recommended tire pressure is based on the vehicle running at max GVW and the max towing load. They do this to be on the safe side to ensure there is sufficient pressure in the worse case scenario....unfortunately most people aren't smart enough to handle having light load versus heavy load tire pressures and would turn around and sue people if they wreck their vehicle because of this.

With that said, I'm kinda' surprised that somebody is reporting that much of a difference between 37 and 32 psi. You could see that much difference in a day if it's cold out in the morning and warms up quite a bit while you cruise down the freeway. In cases like that you don't expect people to adjust their air pressure in the tires throughtout the day by a few pounds.
Surprised me too but there is a big difference between 37 and 30 psi on a High Tide. I posted so some fellow JLUXR owners don’t spend 4500 miles (dumb) figuring this out or have reservations like me about moving away from factory specifications. Some good info on this thread now on how and why.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yeh , pretty dumb. That is why I posted.
I'm glad you posted! Thanks.

Reason I'm here....'22 JLUR with K02's running 2.1 bar. Weekend drive traction wasn't the best on snow covered, unplowed roads. That's 30.5 psi
First thing I'm going to do is replace my tire gauge; it's a pain in the .... and the recommendation here will help.

Thanks

OP
OP
Capt. Don

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
After 4,500 miles of following the factory recommendation of 37 psi on my High Tide with XR suspensiĂłn, wheels and 35s, I called for help.
I talked with my Jeepero friends and family in Colorado about tire pressure for a JLU HT and told them I was running the factory recommended 37 psi. Steering was a bit twitchy and bumps went right to the suspension. They all asked me if I was stupid. 37 psi in the stock BFG 35s? They even pulled an AEV lift recommendation for 35s to be aired at 30 psi for street use. Even my wife kept saying something was not right with our new High Tide. I am big on following factory recommendations but …. OK, properly shamed and quite chagrined, I dropped the pressure to 32 psi and discovered a much happier Jeep (and wife). Bump stops aren’t the problem they are at 37 psi. Steering is less twitchy. Ride quality is far superior. Jeep tracks better down the road. Easier on tires and suspension and occupants on the broken asphalt and pot hole filled roads of this island. Better traction from the tires. I am much happier with my XR suspension now for such a minor change. Now I need to reprogram my LTPWS to accept 30-32 psi.
30 psi is even better.
Sponsored