Sponsored

XR with 37's and Spacers - What am I missing?

Chip

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

They're longer ones provided in the spacer lift I bought. Most cheap spacer lifts come with extended links
What spacer kit did you buy? I bought the Terraflex 1.5" front leveling kit and didn't get any links...
Sponsored

rmenley

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Excellent question Chip so I hope RMENLEY or others weigh in. I haven't figured that out yet. I'm not sure how much longer, if any, XR sway bar links are than on a regular Rubi. I know my new shocks will allow for more droop and don't want to get into a position my links end up inverted. Figured I'd get the other items installed and see how things look. Will go from there to get longer links if needed. Can move backs to front and get new backs if my JK lift is anything like the JL build.
Sorry for such a late response - and I’m sure it’s already been answered. But sway bar links are about an 1.25 longer in the XR

Papajohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL High Tide
1.5" spacer F/R, 1" bumps F/R. 40s. You'll have no issues with 1" spacer and 37s.

Your choice for a longer shock is a good one, the XR coils are hilariously long and could easily support a 14" travel shock. Go for a 5-6" lift shock to get 12" of travel.

XR suspension with a 1" spacer, a 12" shock and Mopar LCAs are the best bang for the buck in suspension travel.

2022-06-22_12-36-00.jpg

2022-06-16_11-43-27.jpg

IMG_20220625_144032_496.jpg
Would you mind telling which spacer lift kit you used and where you got it? I’m trying to find something in that area and I’m pretty much finding 1” or 2”. Closest I’ve found is Quadratecs 1-3/4”. The terraflex 1.5 actually has a 2” in front which is what I’m trying to avoid. Thanks

Chip

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Ok, y'all - I just got done rigging mine up my front like ny.glt56 has done. I used the longer Mopar LCA's, 1.5" Terraflex front spacers, and MetalCloak RockSport extended travel shocks. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the swaybar links and I was able to find a pair of 12" links from a buddy on loan for me to test with.

I'm on original XR 35" BFG's yet and didn't think I'd need to add any bumpstop yet, so I tried it in the ditch out front and I'm happy with it. Of course, the 12" links are too long, so after measuring, I'll be installing some that will be in the 9" to 10" range. Also, with the stock 35" BFG tires, no added bumpstop looks necessary. Eventually, I'll be putting on 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers and at that point, I'll add bumpstops as necessary.

I can confirm the factory XR springs are plenty long - still seated tightly at full droop in my testing. The longer LCA's may have helped with straight line driving a slight bit, It's a very small difference if any, but mine drove pretty good from the factory anyway.
Jeep Wrangler JL XR with 37's and Spacers - What am I missing? 20230323_152308
Jeep Wrangler JL XR with 37's and Spacers - What am I missing? 20230323_154532
Jeep Wrangler JL XR with 37's and Spacers - What am I missing? 20230323_154606

Sponsored

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Would you mind telling which spacer lift kit you used and where you got it? I’m trying to find something in that area and I’m pretty much finding 1” or 2”. Closest I’ve found is Quadratecs 1-3/4”. The terraflex 1.5 actually has a 2” in front which is what I’m trying to avoid. Thanks
Inquiring minds want to know!
They're longer ones provided in the spacer lift I bought. Most cheap spacer lifts come with extended links
We're all still wondering what spacer kit you used!

Chip

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

An update on mine after 7500 miles with the longer Mopar LCA's, Rocksport shocks and Terraflex 1.5" front spacers;

It still drives great! The Rocksports might be a little on the soft side and I'm thinking I might want to switch them out for something else when my 35" BFG's wear out and I install 37" STT Pro's or Nittos, but they work acceptably well with the 35" BFG's right now.

One other detail - Final length on the Clayton Overland swaybar links came out to 9.75" center to center.
Jeep Wrangler JL XR with 37's and Spacers - What am I missing? 20230717_172957
Jeep Wrangler JL XR with 37's and Spacers - What am I missing? 20230327_170848
Jeep Wrangler JL XR with 37's and Spacers - What am I missing? 20230717_180343

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Probably too late but curious, if the goal was 37s why not save the $4K on the XR package and use that money to buy the right lift/suspension for 37s instead? As far as the spacers, the rear is where the rubbing occurs with 37s so you might want to plan on at least 1" of spacers in the rear. If you want to avoid spacers and keep the center of gravity as low as possible, another option is replacing the inner fenders and gaining 2"-3" of tire clearance that way.
One good answer, changing the gearing to 4:56

Chip

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

One good answer, changing the gearing to 4:56
Don't forget steel knuckles, thicker axle tubes and a tiny bit better brakes. For someone not wanting anything bigger than 37" tires eventually and isn't going to be doing anything crazy, it's a good base to build on.

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Don't forget steel knuckles, thicker axle tubes and a tiny bit better brakes. For someone not wanting anything bigger than 37" tires eventually and isn't going to be doing anything crazy, it's a good base to build on.
Haven’t seen a stock aluminum knuckle break yet, doesn’t matter how thick the tube is if the FAD is the breaking point, and the stock JL Rubicon brakes are a lot better than the stock JK brakes that people have run 37s on for over a decade.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not when you want/need to regear to 4.88 or 5.13.
You can add 4.88s from factory for an msrp of $995 and when factoring in 6% under invoice that drops it to $842 for factory warrantied gears which is less than labor alone for a gear install at nearly any shop.