Xplozyve's JLU Sport S Build

Xplozyve

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - Firecracker Red
It's finally time to start the build thread! The "new-ness" of the JL has worn off, and parts have been ordered. When I purchased the JL in April, I mostly only did cosmetic upgrades because I wanted to experience it stock for a while. The Jeep is a 2018 Firecracker Red JLU Sport S manual!

Here it is on pickup day next to my old TJ! They make a pretty good pair :)

Purchase Day.jpg

Advertisement

OP
Xplozyve

Xplozyve

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First, I had to have a subwoofer installed. Getting a Sport means that I had no factory sub. We decided to go with the JL Audio Stealthbox paired with a Kicker CXA6001 1200W Amp.

JlStealthSub.jpg

Kicker600w.jpg

OP
Xplozyve

Xplozyve

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Next, I really wanted to protect the cloth seats. My friends and family can be quite messy; and we have been known to just chuck stuff in the back seats. The PRP seat covers seemed to be exactly what I wanted. I even got to choose red stitching! I will warn anyone looking into these, they are exceptionally difficult to get on the seats. Once they are on, they aren't going anywhere though!

PRPSeatsFront.jpg

View attachment 246791

PRPSeatsRear.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
Xplozyve

Xplozyve

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We do intend to use this vehicle for camping during the summers. I had my eye on the Outback Trailgater before we even purchased this Jeep. Totally worth it! Very functional and looks great too!

OutbackTrailgater1.jpg

OutbackTrailgater2.jpg

OP
Xplozyve

Xplozyve

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something I never installed on my old TJ, but everyone always asked for, "side-steps". Knowing that I wanted to eventually lift this Jeep, I decided to get some rails installed early on. Metalcloak's FlipSteps impressed me, and I liked the flexibility of being able to remove the step while maintaining a rock rail for protection. Plus, they look really good on the Jeep.

MCFlipSteps.jpg

OP
Xplozyve

Xplozyve

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another aesthetic thing we did was removing the Euro-style plastic pieces connecting the bumper to the fender flares. Just really was not a fan of that look, and it was a simple enough change.

Next on the list is wheels, tires, and lift. We have decided on a more mild build compared to a lot of those on this forum; but I think it will be more than enough for our purposes (DD and mild offroading for camping).

We have ordered: 35" Milestar Patagonias, 17" Fifteen52 Traverse HDs in Bronze, and a Metalcloak 2.5" Rocksport lift. We also ordered a tazer mini to calibrate the speedo for the correct tire size.

I have read a ton of conflicting info concerning needing to re-gear when moving to 35s with a manual. I figured I will just have to drive it for a bit and decide myself since everyone seems so split on it. If we do need to re-gear, we are fortunate to have an awesome shop locally that does great work.

The lift, wheels, and tires should be here in the next few weeks. Cannot wait to get those put on and have the Jeep looking exactly the way that we want!

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Great build so far! Like the sliders a lot. Removable steps, eh? Will have to check those out. Easy install?

OP
Xplozyve

Xplozyve

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great build so far! Like the sliders a lot. Removable steps, eh? Will have to check those out. Easy install?
Oh yes! Only a few bolts really. Can have the step portion removed in a few minutes too.
I am surprised that more people aren’t running them to be honest. But I guess a lot of metalcloak’s customers are more into rock crawling and wouldn’t want/need a step. But for me they were perfect.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Nice build I’ve been saving some penny’s and it’s about time for me to start:fingerscrossed:

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I also have the 6 speed manual but a rubicon with 4.10s I’m also going 35s Toyo OC MT so a bit heavier I will see how I like it but I will plan to regear in about a year because even with 4.10s and stock 33s 6th gear doesn’t hit 2500RPM until around 78MPH:surprised:

OP
Xplozyve

Xplozyve

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also have the 6 speed manual but a rubicon with 4.10s I’m also going 35s Toyo OC MT so a bit heavier I will see how I like it but I will plan to regear in about a year because even with 4.10s and stock 33s 6th gear doesn’t hit 2500RPM until around 78MPH:surprised:
Thanks!
Yeah I am worried about 6th just being utterly useless, but I really don’t do too much highway driving these days. So it wouldn’t kill me if I had to wait to regear for a few months. I look forward to seeing your build!

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah unfortunately living in DFW Texas I have to do a lot of 75MPH driving people still pass me doing 85+ lol 6th gear is fine right now going that speed but with 35s I will just have to downshift a bit more by the way how do you like the new manual transmission I like it a lot except there is some play in 1st when barely giving it throttle once it has a load it’s good I’m looking forward to aftermarket clutches if you don’t do much highway driving and not any serious rock crawling I think you will be fine with stock gears except you will have to slip the clutch a little more when starting on inclines

OP
Xplozyve

Xplozyve

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah unfortunately living in DFW Texas I have to do a lot of 75MPH driving people still pass me doing 85+ lol 6th gear is fine right now going that speed but with 35s I will just have to downshift a bit more by the way how do you like the new manual transmission I like it a lot except there is some play in 1st when barely giving it throttle once it has a load it’s good I’m looking forward to aftermarket clutches if you don’t do much highway driving and not any serious rock crawling I think you will be fine with stock gears except you will have to slip the clutch a little more when starting on inclines
DFW traffic gets absolutely insane. I used to think we had it bad here in Nashville, nope not even close!

I do really like the new manual! Coming from a standard 99’ TJ, it was a massive upgrade. I agree that aftermarket clutches will be nice to see. I also have a ton of play in 1st gear, but no lurching like in my old Jeep.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
DFW traffic gets absolutely insane. I used to think we had it bad here in Nashville, nope not even close!

I do really like the new manual! Coming from a standard 99’ TJ, it was a massive upgrade. I agree that aftermarket clutches will be nice to see. I also have a ton of play in 1st gear, but no lurching like in my old Jeep.
Oh I love Tennessee one of the most beautiful states for sure:blush: when I think how bad traffic is here i feel better when I think about Houston traffic :)

OP
Xplozyve

Xplozyve

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I had an unfortunate turn of events this evening. Went and flipped into a ditch. Very thankful to not have any injuries.

What added salt to the wound was coming home to see my pile of parts in the doorway. Will have to see what insurance says. But I’m so thankful for the roll cage right now!

D36CE9AD-B795-44AA-ACF7-578E3986DCB5.jpeg

BEE201F1-7E78-4846-8A33-F9CE398ACDE7.jpeg

C09DF6F7-B7D9-4E5B-8676-84814648A03E.jpeg

DAC898A4-A2F8-469A-AA28-C9AC55FF9969.jpeg

Advertisement

Extreme Terrain

Advertisement