First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Hows your XM radio reception? My XM drops so often that it's not worth listening to. My dealer tells me there isn't a problem. All his other Jeep owners are satisfied. Are you?
Sponsored

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
I've only had mine for 3 weeks, but I've never lost reception, even in areas where my previous vehicle did.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@MtCamper

Very limited choices in your poll..

Anyway, I have had my JL since mid May and I actually have noticed that recently, SiriusXM reception has gotten a little better locally.

When I first got my JL the satellite signal would drop out lots but nowt it is not as bad. Not sure what changed.

Anyway, now I'm seeing no difference in signal reception with the JL in comparison to my past JK's.

Signal reception can be stepped on by many things and of course where you are plays a part in the issue.

Yes, reception could be way way better. As for the poll, no not good and no not poor.

By the way, for those reading here that do not know...

The satellite receiver on the JL and the AM/FM radio antenna are two different animals.

You have a mast antenna that is solely for AM/FM reception.

As far as Sirius/XM satellite radio, the "satellite radio receiver" is what is used for SiriusXM reception.

On the Wrangler JK and JL, the "satellite radio receiver" for use with SiriusXM resides up on top of the sound bar/roll bar, just above and behind the passenger.

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Reception with the hard top was much worse for me than with the soft top. I’d have signal loss under bridges and no loss in same spots with the soft top. I’ll see if the dealer can do something about that when I put the hard top back on in Nov.

Gilroy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have to say I think my reception is worse than my JK. It seems like the slightest tree branch will cause a hiccup. I won't be renewing when the trial is up anyway since I only drive a few minutes a day but it kind of stinks that the reception isn't more stable.

Sponsored

Xingpao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My reception has been ok, but the quality of sound is just awful.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
My signal drops when I get near toll scanners that capture your toll tag data and picture. I dont ever drive on the toll road, but get caught in their signal when I am under a bridge near the the toll stuff.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Even though Sirius and XM merged, they still use separate hardware and satellites. XM works better in southern states, and Sirius is better in northern states. (That’s a generalization, and there are many other factors.) Supposedly, new satellites go up in 2020 with a truly merged service.

Where I am in CT, Sirius is *much* better than XM. My Ford and now my Jeep get fantastic reception. My GMC with XM blows big time.

(I got this info from XM support and from a Chevy forum 2yrs ago while trying to debug my awful XM reception.)

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Lost signal a lot under things or near large buildings with the hardtop. Just put on the softop and seems to have improved reasonably since I can almost get a signal in my garage now.

thepred

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited 2018 Wrangler Unlimited
My reception is not very good compared to JK. I lose signal in places I never did in my JK. Wonder if calling Sirius and getting them to reflash would help.

Sponsored

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
My reception isn’t great, drives me nuts when it drops out. Using it on Martha’s Vineyard this summer and almost any wooded area kills the reception. I’m an old time radio and talk radio listener so I can’t comment on sound quality. The reception with and without the hardtop isn’t much different. The reception in my 2011 X3 is much better. I’m hoping there will be a software update that will improve things, I seriously (no pun intended) doubt it’s a hardware issue and the antenna location is actually very good.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
My reception isn’t great, drives me nuts when it drops out. Using it on Martha’s Vineyard this summer and almost any wooded area kills the reception. I’m an old time radio and talk radio listener so I can’t comment on sound quality. The reception with and without the hardtop isn’t much different. The reception in my 2011 X3 is much better. I’m hoping there will be a software update that will improve things, I seriously (no pun intended) doubt it’s a hardware issue and the antenna location is actually very good.
This. My reception drops out a lot more than my JK, but it's always in areas with trees or obstructions that block the signal. Other than that, it's been fine. I love my SiriusXm so it's not an option for me not to listen.

Wingman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon in Mojito; 2017 Orange Blast Metallic Chevy SS
Occupation
Architect
My Sirius has been cutting out very often.....like every couple of minutes for a second. Very annoying as I listen to Sirius oftne
Noticed it first on my road trip; and I had a Thule roof carrier on top, so I thought it was that
I also installed Hot heads liner and it was even worse ( I installed my hot heads in the middle of my road trip)
It was very bad on the way home
It still cuts out without the Roof carrier on
Hot heads did have noted "satellite antrenna location' but no instructions to cut away the cardboard
I am contacting them
I have factory painted hard top

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Unless I'm stopped at a light while under a bridge for an extended amount of time, my signal is great. I first tried out satellite radio back in 2004 when it was a DIY project of a magnetic antenna while running a wire into your car. On the plus side you could take the unit out of the car and plug it in at your house...came with 50' wire connected to another antenna to point towards the skies.

I think the #1 issue if the reception sucks is Jeep's placement of the antenna, second would be your geographical location. There was talk early in satellite radios development that larger cities would have repeater antennas to boost the signal but I have zero evidence that was or ever used.
Sponsored