WWYD? 8.4 vs 7.0

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
Placed my order about 4 months ago for my Willys Wrangler. Thought the order had been put in for an 8.4 in screen but now that the window sticker is available there was a miscommunication and the 7-in screen is installed. It does still have the upgraded Alpine stereo system just with the smaller screen. Dealer is offering to have it replaced with an 8.4 by their subcontractor for the $800 difference in the order. Do I just leave well enough alone instead of risking an outsider messing with my brand new Jeep possibly causing headaches? Or do I go for it and get the 8.4? I don't really need the navigation I will be using my phone and I'm not sure if this is worth the headache or I should just be happy with what is in the Jeep now. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Just a data point for you, but we have the 7.0 and use OnX offroad on it just fine with the Uconnect and Android auto. It's been trouble free so far (2022 Willys 2 door). Caveat is, we don't like a lot of tech in a Jeep, and really didn't feel the need to step up to the 8.4 and upgraded stereo as the sub went where we wanted to store stuff (hey, it's a 2 door).

But, $800 is probably a good price for the upgrade versus paying for it later.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I'm not not a hardcore tech guy in my vehicles so the 7 inch is more then enough for me. Also if you ever want anything bigger you can always put your $800 towards installing this down the road. Lol.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I like the factory 8.4 and would probably opt for it from the dealer for $800 installed. It's not too much of a crazy job but the dash panels do need to come out I believe.

If you ever want to upgrade to some aftermarket unit like the above poster showed or possibly even the new UConnect5 stuff that might come out in a future model year, you could always sell your unit again for about that same cost to someone.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I would keep the 7” screen. It’s obviously your money but it’s $800 for 1.4” of screen, built in nav, and hotspot. If that sounds like a good value for you, go for it.

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I would keep the 7” screen. It’s obviously your money but it’s $800 for 1.4” of screen, built in nav, and hotspot. If that sounds like a good value for you, go for it.
Lol, I agree. $800 will get you 55” at Best Buy.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
My wife has a 12" screen in her current vehicle, so I had to go with the 8.4" just to get as close as possible...

OP
OP
Yzfguy

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear you guys. I guess it's impossible for someone else to make this call.
I really wanted the bigger screen, but I don't care about the gps. In one way, I feel like it will always bug me that my order didn't come out exactly how I wanted. On the other hand, if they replace it and I have gremlins, it will give me a bleeding ulcer!
Ugh.

seanpublic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I may be referring to old prices/bundles that no longer apply, but getting the 8.4 automatically upgraded the build to the upgraded speakers. That meant that the difference was ~$200 to get the 8.4 vs 7, if you wanted the speaker upgrade. It wasn't obvious through Jeep's build web site, but showed up on the order when the dealer built the order in their system. When they built the order for my '21 on 12/20, this was still the case.

If these were different times, it might be easier to choose to walk away from this deal and order another Wrangler...

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
On my 2018 Wrangler JL I had the 7" screen and swapped it out my self for the 8.4. It worked flawlessly! Took about 40 minutes to install and all plug and play and in my opinion definitely worth it! I paid a 1,000.00 just for the unit so 800 is a steal! I would see if the dealership would give it to you for 500 then do the install yourself very easy!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yzfguy

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I may be referring to old prices/bundles that no longer apply, but getting the 8.4 automatically upgraded the build to the upgraded speakers. That meant that the difference was ~$200 to get the 8.4 vs 7, if you wanted the speaker upgrade. It wasn't obvious through Jeep's build web site, but showed up on the order when the dealer built the order in their system. When they built the order for my '21 on 12/20, this was still the case.
As far as I can see, and what my dealer confirmed, it's 1295 for the Alpine stereo upgrade, or 2k for the 8.4 plus alpine package.

seanpublic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Sport S
As far as I can see, and what my dealer confirmed, it's 1295 for the Alpine stereo upgrade, or 2k for the 8.4 plus alpine package.
Ah, I think I'm remembering the earlier 8.4 pricing when I got a 2018. I think the 8.4 was a 1200 or 1400 option, but came with the speakers. The speakers themselves were priced somewhere around 1000 and were optional for 5 and 7 inch head units.

With the new order, I got the whole Sun and Sound package, so all that stuff went into one big price.

FYI, these uconnect head units aren't necessarily identical components just with different sized displays. That's what everyone is assuming based on only discussion of screen size. They could behave differently, especially during initialization after startup. Pair your phone and try out both units in similar Jeep configuration at the dealer. Do a radio reboot to simulate startup after a long period shutdown. There could be different lag times before they respond to commands, resume play behavior with Bluetooth, audio quality, etc.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Lol, I agree. $800 will get you 55” at Best Buy.
🤣 Yep. Keeping the 7 inch is a no brainer. Especially when you think about it like that!! 👍

samsung-wall-678_678x452.jpg

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
For $800 I would definitely do the upgrade. I love our 8.4 and it looks so clean on these newer interiors.