Sponsored

WTF - Marketplace Scammers?

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I put a a few wanted to buy ads in the forum Market Place. Over the last two weeks I have had at least three scammers contact me. The email usually goes like this (of course the scammer uses different names & email addresses):

"Email Shawn in Montana he has Rubicon Take Off Tires 285/70R17 for sale. His email [Scam Warning - Please Report to Site Administrators]"

Why would I want to contact someone in Montana for tires, when I don't even live there...?
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Welcome to the world of Internet forum marketplaces. Where there’s an opportunity to scam people, there’s scammers. On every automotive forum marketplace.
Stay diligent.
Vet sellers or buyers.
Don’t be stupid.
If it smells fishy, throw it back.
Sounds like you get it. You’ll be fine. Don’t take it personally, these scumbags try this on everyone.

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Got another!

"I can help you out with a lead. Please contact Eliot on [email protected] regarding your request. He is located in Texas, and the last time I talked to him, he had Willys JLU Take Off Rims for sale. I purchased items from him in the past and they arrived in TOP condition."

Sponsored

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.toolsinaction.com
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR, , 84 CJ7 , 22 TREMOR, 23 Model Y
Occupation
Pan Handler
Vehicle Showcase
Scammers are everywhere. Twice I got burned on Instagram, from actual instagram ads. And once on ebay from some guy who sold me an 1986 CJ saying it was mint like new. He was a Jeeper, totally cool on the phone. I get it shipped and it looked like it was totaled, frame is bent, needed ton of work. Sold as all original, mint and runs perfect. Didn't start on the truck, the driver had to push it off. Turns out a few weeks later I come across this guys instagram account showing off the same Jeep when it was totaled and him rigging it back together in his garage. Bragging how damaged it was.

Lessons learned here were never buy from Instagram ads and never buy a car unseen from ebay especially older than 10 years. You have ZERO protection. With the current world situation these scams are just going to worse and worse. These scammers are already lazy so what easier way to con someone than from their house on the computer.

It sucks

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
... It sucks
It does and how unfortunate for you. While this may not offer you any kind of comfort in the moment, just know that life swiftly catches up to those kinds of people. It happens when, where and how they least expect it. Sometimes they realize the error of their ways and make amends and then sometimes they don’t.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Never send more money than you're willing to risk loosing. Does the potential benefit outweigh the potential loss? s

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Also never send Paypal through the gift option, always pay that extra fee, small price to pay for buyer protection.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
If I happen to be board, I’ll troll the scammer for a while, just to waste their time.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
This is a common scam technique and I see a lot of user reports for this. If you report these messages we can ban the user and delete any messages they sent.

@JAY perhaps it's possible to require a new member have X amount of posts prior to being able to use the PM system?
Sponsored