HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Nope. Doesn't fly.
It was accurately signed. It was out of order. Not for technical or mechanical reasons but for permit reasons which is nevertheless required for use. In addition the use of the device required the breaking of a lock. A zip tie. Granted it is not a particularly strong lock but it is nevertheless a restraint designed to prohibit use that must be broken. Just because someone can break it doesn't mean they should. I can break both a zip tie and a padlock. What's the difference between breaking a zip tie or a padlock besides the ease of doing so? Both are breaking into a restraint.

I say it's civil disobedience as its only restricted because the local government hasn't gotten its ass in gear to permit it. The owner and the user have no issues and the government is in the way. When people say they're fine with something, screw you government, we're doing it no matter what you say... thats civil disobedience.
In all fairness, I did loop the wire up neatly and put the plug back in its holder.

I would argue that as a retired electrical engineer, I saw the "out of order" sign, diagnosed the problem with the system (some knuckle-head had zip-tied the cord), removed the defect from the system, tested the repaired system with my own equipment and restored it to working order. I'd say the city of Moab owes me a few bucks for my professional work.

Last edited:

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
... A better question would be why chance screwing up at 60K vehicle at a charging station labeled OOO? I sure as heck wouldn't.
I wouldn't get into an elevator labelled Out of Order or ride on an escalator that had that sign. If there were other free charging stations in the area I may not risk it.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
That charging station was installed with a temporary special use permit, at the last minute, to allow Jeep to provide drive and ride experiences during the Easter Jeep Safari. That station is labeled, clearly, as out of order because the installation is not intended to be operational at this time.

https://www.moabtimes.com/articles/...-charging-stations-on-display-at-walker-drug/

It does not seem like a reasonable person would brag about theft on a public forum.
5dlf2e.jpg

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
That charging station was installed with a temporary special use permit, at the last minute, to allow Jeep to provide drive and ride experiences during the Easter Jeep Safari. That station is labeled, clearly, as out of order because the installation is not intended to be operational at this time.

https://www.moabtimes.com/articles/...-charging-stations-on-display-at-walker-drug/

It does not seem like a reasonable person would brag about theft on a public forum.

They were "out of fuel" due to the Colonial Pipeline ransomware attack... Oh wait, maybe they were limited on electricity due to the Texas heat wave/electricity shortage. Or maybe the flux capacitor was overfilled?

Reactions: VNT

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Typical EV driver doesn't think the rules apply to them.
I don't have a 4xe, but I do have a confession: At a few of the local burger places, there's a couple of places by the handicapped spots that read, "For Green Vehicles Only". I don't have a Mojito or Sarge Jeep, but I sometimes park there, anyway.

Last edited:

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Jeep Wrangler JL WTF Jeep? 1623936859242

To all the people complaining that he broke some moral code or stole something, the sign wasn't even accurate. The device was working properly. If it were me I would have taken the sign off after as I had confirmed it was working. Here's an idea if Jeep wanted people to not use it, turn it off. They specifically bragged about these stations to sell more 4xe's, and you're going to get mad when someone attempts to use that advertised service? I say good job OP, the energy you used from that station is far cleaner than any alternative. Solar is a great supplement to the grid or petrol.

Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU

To all the people complaining that he broke some moral code or stole something, the sign wasn't even accurate. The device was working properly. If it were me I would have taken the sign off after as I had confirmed it was working. Here's an idea if Jeep wanted people to not use it, turn it off. They specifically bragged about these stations to sell more 4xe's, and you're going to get mad when someone attempts to use that advertised service? I say good job OP, the energy you used from that station is far cleaner than any alternative. Solar is a great supplement to the grid or petrol.
This is an interesting viewpoint, because there is a simultaneous thread on this forum where posters are espousing booby traps and physical mutilation for someone who opened an unlocked door and stole nothing. But someone who breaks some-else’s zip tie and uses their property without consent is at the same time praised. Forget the accuracy of the sign’s message - if something is zip tied shut, do you feel entitled to it? I don’t, as I respect OPP.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
This is an interesting viewpoint, because there is a simultaneous thread on this forum where posters are espousing booby traps and physical mutilation for someone who opened an unlocked door and stole nothing. But someone who breaks some-else’s zip tie and uses their property without consent is at the same time praised. Forget the accuracy of the sign’s message - if something is zip tied shut, do you feel entitled to it?
If it was advertised to me then yes. Its Jeep branded, you are in a Jeep, and Jeep has said this

"Electrification opens a new chapter in the Jeep brand story, and it brings an entirely new level of excitement and enjoyment to our enthusiastic owners," said Christian Meunier, Jeep brand CEO — Stellantis. "Key to making Jeep brand the greenest SUV brand is assuring our owners can enjoy the benefits of electric propulsion wherever they go, including the most iconic off-road trails in the country."

Then yes, I would feel entitled to that.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
seems every post ends the same way! I think it’s time to push away the keyboard and and start worrying about what YOU do.

OP
OP
HungryHound

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe

I left the signs because it's become my personal charging station. I don't want to have to wait for someone else to finish charging.😁