WTB Front Hitch with Steel Bumper/Skid Plate

stingGreyNJ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2013 JK (gone)
I have an ‘18 JLUR with steel bumpers and am looking for a front hitch. I’ve seen the Curt & Draw-Tite Front Hitches for JL Wrangler. Both look great with a trimmed plastic lower fascia. Is there any option that lets me keep my steel bash plate? I don't have the skills or tools to modify the oem steel skid plate.

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
stingGreyNJ

stingGreyNJ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just had a thought:
If someone made an alternative which plate that had 2” receiver that would get it done as well. Anybody ever seen something like that?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have the 2" receiver " Hidden Hitch " from E Trailer, easy install. I modified the plastic air dam ,as shown. Could you have a metal fab/ 4x4 shop do this for your application ? Well worth the effort, that 2" receiver is very handy

OP
OP
stingGreyNJ

stingGreyNJ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the 2" receiver " Hidden Hitch " from E Trailer, easy install. I modified the plastic air dam ,as shown. Could you have a metal fab/ 4x4 shop do this for your application ? Well worth the effort, that 2" receiver is very handy
Thanks, Do you have Curt or Draw Tite?

I spent the AM looking into this.

Idea #1 mentioned above. Using a receiver like this , mounted to a JL winch plate like this I could get a rock solid receiver that could be used as a winch point, higher on the body, so as not to affect approach angles and make it more likely to be accessible in a recovery situation. Issues are: I'd have to open the fairlead opening in the stock steel bumper to accommodate a 2" hitch. It'd clean up well by modifying the plastic cover that goes over the fairlead opening too. It'd cost $200+ for parts alone but the steel Air Dam wouldn't have to be modified at all.

Idea #2 Went to harbor freight and bought two different types of receivers (one and two) to see about installing to the top of the bumper (again, just for fishing rods, not winching). Neither worked particularly well with the existing bolts and I'd have to add more bolt holes to the bumper for sure. I wouldn't have minded this scenario to get a cooler rack with rod holders for rods and beach chairs and keep it fairly high to avoid hitting a dune on the beach.

Idea #0 To go with what you did. Advantages are a super strong winch point (albeit a little low) without too much Jerry Rigging. Downside is having to go to a fab shop to modify the front skid/air dam. It's already taken a few shots on the rocks so I really don't want to be without it.

Thanks for listening.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is the one I use, it has the higher receiver of the 2. I use it for my DIY Shopping Cart Deflector, when not moving trailers, etc.
You can buy a an angled plate that mounts into the receiver, and will guide up and over obstacles instead of digging in

PXL_20210328_195715203_resized.jpg

PXL_20210328_200524457_resized.jpg

PXL_20210328_200636880_resized.jpg

PXL_20210328_200712830_resized.jpg
Sponsored