Sponsored

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Any word today from the dealer's service dept on the extent of damages?
Sponsored

KevOh93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Industrial Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Initially I thought the same as you. How is possible to be hurt at such a low speed? I mistakenly assumed "whiplash" claims were basically frivolous law suites. Appearently there are tens of thousands of cases, or more. And it's very real.

My friend was traveling at 5-10 mph and was hit from behind. Not sure how fast the car behind was moving when it hit her? The impact did not do any obvious physical damage after a very quick inspection so both drivers parted ways without filing a police report. It was discovered later on the foam backing behind the bumper was cracked from the impact. So there was some force.

I suspect you were expecting the impact and braced yourself? Or you and your wife are physically stronger then my 102 pound friend. My friend had no idea it was coming and she was probably totally relaxed. Her neck snapped back and forth. Her doctor and physical therapist said her case was text book whiplash. Someone said it's like cracking a whip.

I must know some weak or fragile people. You ask if we are made of glass? Another friend was squeegeeing his shower door after a shower. He said he did not notice doing anything weird. He twisted and bent down to get the bottom of the shower door and felt a slight electric like jolt. His back went out and he could barely move. His severe back pain lasted more then a week. Doctor said herniated disc pinching a nerve or something.
i once got whiplash from a steep waterslide. I kid you not. I felt so dumb but it sucked for a long time. Neck is fine now

OP
OP

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
We’ll find out Monday or Tuesday if the frame is bent or cracked. If so, it’s at least 12 weeks for repair, assuming frames are available. No telling if frames will be available. FML.

This is absolutely ridiculous and one of the most frustrating things I’ve dealt with.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
We’ll find out Monday or Tuesday if the frame is bent or cracked. If so, it’s at least 12 weeks for repair, assuming frames are available. No telling if frames will be available. FML.

This is absolutely ridiculous and one of the most frustrating things I’ve dealt with.
12 weeks??? Jeez...

Can you ask your insurance to suspend your payments while the Jeep is out? Not a whole lot of savings, but at least they can share a little bit of your frustration.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

I’m sorry to hear that. You would think that the length of time to wait for the repairs would factor into the decision to total it so you could get a new one.

I hope you’re feeling better.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It is pretty neat that you can have the frame replaced, though. I would feel pretty uneasy about driving a unibody that had been wrecked enough that they had to straighten it back out.

OP
OP

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
It’s going on the frame rack at the body shop tomorrow for measuring and inspection. Fingers crossed for no frame damage.

Sponsored

ugafan706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimted Rubicon v6 auto red skytouch top
Ive been in the car business for 30 years, and the last 7 Ive had a Jeep as my personal vehicle. (have a skytouch rubicon now)

DO NOT LET THEM FIX IT. 4 years down the road if you decide to trade this in it will show major damage on carfax. We talking a lot of money you would lose on trade in. Theres no way i would let an insurance company fix a new car with frame damage. This thing will still bring a ton at copart auction, let someone else fix it, I would want a new Jeep, if the Jeep gets a new frame(or frame just fixed) who knows how this thing will drive. LET THEM TOTAL IT.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Comments like that drive me nuts. You see them EVERY time someone posts about a crash.
It's inevitable someone posts "don't let them fix it", or "demand a new vehicle". The fact of the matter is you can't demand it be replaced if the value isn't there. You sign an agreement with the insurance company saying they can fix your vehicle if possible. They will deem it a total loss when the repair cost is at a certain threshold,. If you actually read your insurance policy it details all this, and should actually show the threshold for replacement (by percentage IIRC).

It's not a matter of "letting" them fix your vehicle. If it's repairable it's repaired, if it's not it's replaced. As for the carfax affecting trade-in/resale. You're absolutely right. That's why someone mentioned a diminished value claim. If this isn't possible (depending on state), you would have to file a civil suit for the loss.
To the OP, a dv claim is separate from your repair claim, and some agents don't know they are a thing. I filed one on my Ram when it was hit, and was fortunate enough that someone the Ram forum helped me figure it out. Basically ,you need to get several quotes of the vehicle's repaired value. This is compared to an undamaged value. The difference is the diminished value which is paid in addition to the repair claim. It's a hassle, and requires a lot of leg work on your part but it's worth it. You can get the quotes where ever you want, just like you can get repairs done where you want. I got my quotes from Dodge dealerships. If you set that money aside for when you eventually sell it, it will be like the loss didn't occur.

Good luck. I hope they don't find any frame damage on the lift tomorrow, so you don't have to stress about it.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
It’s going on the frame rack at the body shop tomorrow for measuring and inspection. Fingers crossed for no frame damage.
Any updates as of today?

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed