Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Only a month ago, Michigan (highest auto insurance in the country) required "Unlimited Liability" insurance, which truly was unlimited. They recently changed that to allow a variety of choices at less cost (and more financial risk), including still offering the unlimited liability.
I don't know if's it true today? A friend used to live in MI and he said MI was one of a few States that allowed for self-insurance. That was about 15 years ago.

Illinois has very high rates also. I suspect it's because 2 of the largest insurance companies in the nation, both All State and State Farm, are headquartered in IL. I suspect they lobby pretty hard. A additional Liability Umbrella Police might be a option for more liability coverage for anyone who needs more then the typical $100K-$300K coverage. In IL anyway. The cost is about $200 a year for $1M and $300 a year for $2M in liability in IL if you bundle home and auto policies.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
This is again making assumptions. It's just as likely Joe DID check. So he did know, and did care. It's certainly possible he looked and either didn't perceive the threat, or wasn't able to see it.
Yes, it's equally possible he didn't look. Even if that's the case, trying to "educate" or blame him immediately following the crash isn't empathetic, and won't be received with any effectiveness. He was enjoying his brand new Jeep and now it's messed up because someone ran a light which we all expect people to stop for. And if you say you don't expect people to stop, you're lying to yourself, otherwise you'd slow down to nearly a complete stop at every intersection you cross. Yes you don't completely trust it and look as you approach, but the expectation is that traffic will yield as they are supposed to do. We expect them to stop, but we don't trust them to stop.
Yes, many crashes can be avoided by the non-fault party (but not always). Immediately follow the crash is not the time to focus on what may have been done differently though.

Joe, I hope the soreness doesn't last too long. I hear the second day following the crash is the worst.
I'm no mechanic but I assume they'll be able to fix up your Jeep good as new. Back in the day fixed vehicles were never really the same. With technology, materials, and techniques today, they can repair stuff to where you'd never be able to tell it happened.
And on a related note. Now's the perfect time for any aftermarket parts you may have considered, like a winch/trail bumper. You can have the insurance give the value of the replacement bumper, and you can use that to pay for (or toward the cost of) an aftermarket one of your choosing.
Thanks man. I appreciate the support. Feeling pretty rough this morning.

I hadn’t really thought about replacing stock parts with aftermarket ones. Great idea!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I hadn’t really thought about replacing stock parts with aftermarket ones. Great idea!
A friend was rear ended in bumper to bumper traffic. They were inching along at about 5-10 mile per hour and the car behind bumped them. My friend did not notice the damage and was trying to get to work for a meeting so she assumed everything was fine. Both of them drove off without exchanging info or making a police report. Turns out the rear bumper was damaged under the skin. My friend's neck snapped back. She felt fine until the next day. She was diagnosed with whiplash. I think you said you are a lawyer? No offense, I always thought whiplash was a diagnosis for frivolous insurance claims. My friend had to pay for treatments and insurance deductibles for 5-6 months. That was over 2 years ago and my friend still has very real issues with her neck from that accident. She is still getting treatments when it flairs up. She regrets to this day she did not take the other driver's information and make a police report.

I am sure you probably are way ahead of this. Your a lawyer but I'd go see a doctor and get their advice.

I hope you are made right after everything.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon

Yeah I figured I'd throw the idea out there. In 2014 I had a Ram that was pretty much new (probably less then 2K mile) when someone backed out of a driveway and hit my bed/bumper/wheel. I got all new OEM parts to replace the damage, EXCEPT for the rim. I took the cash value of the rim replacement and bought a set of aftermarket rims with it. The cost of one stock 20" chrome rim was enough to buy 4 Mickey Thompson 17" Classics. I wrapped them in some mud tires, and sold the stock wheel/tire set (with the scratched rim) for enough to cover the cost of the tires. So in the end that crash turned into a new set of rims/tires that would have come much later. Getting the rims with no out of pocket cost was a nice consolation to having my brand new truck banged up.

Turn a negative into a positive.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I smacked a rock so hard it crumpled a control arm.. some new front CA's, an alignment and done. Try that with IFS.

A few months ago some guy on his phone rear ended me.. I got out and surveyed. His front end was crumpled and the radiator was blowing steam. I looked at the rear of my jeep (steel bumpers) and couldn't find a scratch. Climbed under and looked.. zero damage.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrecked new Rubi today. At least Rubicon is tough! 1597082152360

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
Lady ran a red light today and hit me in my 1 month old Rubicon with only 1200 miles on it. I was turning left on a green arrow and she hit me going about 50. Front end of mine hit drivers side of hers. Factory steel bumper is pretty damn tough!

Looks like I’ll need new bumper, a bunch of front suspension components, front axle, fenders, quarter, lights, grille, etc...

Ridiculously shitty luck to get smashed in a new car, but blessed that it wasn’t about a quarter second later or she would have t-boned me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrecked new Rubi today. At least Rubicon is tough! AD4ED38B-44EF-4437-B239-783040EBD4FE

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrecked new Rubi today. At least Rubicon is tough! AD4ED38B-44EF-4437-B239-783040EBD4FE
Gettn a new car and than gettn all worked up and pissed off after getn a scratch on it now seems ridiculous when u see stuff like this. Sucks dude. Hope it all works out in the end

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Glad everyone is okay. Mine would need a new seat because the stain I’d leave would never wash out.....

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
A friend was rear ended in bumper to bumper traffic. They were inching along at about 5-10 mile per hour and the car behind bumped them. My friend did not notice the damage and was trying to get to work for a meeting so she assumed everything was fine. Both of them drove off without exchanging info or making a police report. Turns out the rear bumper was damaged under the skin. My friend's neck snapped back. She felt fine until the next day. She was diagnosed with whiplash. I think you said you are a lawyer? No offense, I always thought whiplash was a diagnosis for frivolous insurance claims. My friend had to pay for treatments and insurance deductibles for 5-6 months. That was over 2 years ago and my friend still has very real issues with her neck from that accident. She is still getting treatments when it flairs up. She regrets to this day she did not take the other driver's information and make a police report.

I am sure you probably are way ahead of this. Your a lawyer but I'd go see a doctor and get their advice.

I hope you are made right after everything.
So if I got this story right, your friend got "whiplash" from a collision at 5~10 MPH? I find these anecdotes so bizarre.

I had a freeway collision at 65MPH on the freeway against an almost stopped truck. Both wife and I fine. 10 years ago, my buddy lost control of his car and we crashed against a solid wall at about 30MPH (thanks to brakes). Both of us fine, no airbags. Add that to dozens of falls backcountry skiing, one of them I broke a rib when I took a fall and was sliding down a very steep hill and my ribs crashed against a tree, the impact was so strong I thought I fucked myself really bad, heard and felt massive crack, and as I laid on the ground I was thinking what am I gonna tell my wife if I even make it out alive. The tree trunk cracked, me? hairline fracture. Fell off a longboard when I was 18, hit my head (cracked helmet) on the sidewalk and my neck bent badly and broke my foot. Everything was fine other than a tiny bone on my foot that couldnt take it.

Youre gonna wake up all sore tomorrow, said the cop and the people at the pretty bad accident wife and I had on the freeway in our lost 2018 JL. We woke up just fine and went for a hike to ease out the traumatic experience.

I know neck damage from accidents is a real thing, and I do consider myself lucky. But a collision at 5~10MPH causing lifelong damage? what are we made of glass!? I am not saying it isnt true, it is just so bizarre! how is it even possible?

Sponsored

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Same thing happened to me. Second week of getting my brand new Rubicon an old guy slammed the brakes in front me on the highway. Rear-ended him and at first I thought it's only the fender and bumper and some basic parts that needed to be changed. Turned out that I needed to have a new frame and new axles, suspension etc. Ended up being a $32,000 CAD fix. Probably one the worst things that has ever happened to me. After the fix it ended up driving and feeling like day 1. A year later and I never had any issues. My suggestion to you is get everything checked and since insurance is covering it take it to a shop that deals with Chrysler directly. That's what I did in my case.

IMAGE 2020-08-10 19:17:10.jpg

IMAGE 2020-05-23 22_40_48.jpg

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if I got this story right, your friend got "whiplash" from a collision at 5~10 MPH? I find these anecdotes so bizarre.

I had a freeway collision at 65MPH on the freeway against an almost stopped truck. Both wife and I fine. 10 years ago, my buddy lost control of his car and we crashed against a solid wall at about 30MPH (thanks to brakes). Both of us fine, no airbags. Add that to dozens of falls backcountry skiing, one of them I broke a rib when I took a fall and was sliding down a very steep hill and my ribs crashed against a tree, the impact was so strong I thought I fucked myself really bad, heard and felt massive crack, and as I laid on the ground I was thinking what am I gonna tell my wife if I even make it out alive. The tree trunk cracked, me? hairline fracture. Fell off a longboard when I was 18, hit my head (cracked helmet) on the sidewalk and my neck bent badly and broke my foot. Everything was fine other than a tiny bone on my foot that couldnt take it.

Youre gonna wake up all sore tomorrow, said the cop and the people at the pretty bad accident wife and I had on the freeway in our lost 2018 JL. We woke up just fine and went for a hike to ease out the traumatic experience.

I know neck damage from accidents is a real thing, and I do consider myself lucky. But a collision at 5~10MPH causing lifelong damage? what are we made of glass!? I am not saying it isnt true, it is just so bizarre! how is it even possible?
Initially I thought the same as you. How is possible to be hurt at such a low speed? I mistakenly assumed "whiplash" claims were basically frivolous law suites. Appearently there are tens of thousands of cases, or more. And it's very real.

My friend was traveling at 5-10 mph and was hit from behind. Not sure how fast the car behind was moving when it hit her? The impact did not do any obvious physical damage after a very quick inspection so both drivers parted ways without filing a police report. It was discovered later on the foam backing behind the bumper was cracked from the impact. So there was some force.

I suspect you were expecting the impact and braced yourself? Or you and your wife are physically stronger then my 102 pound friend. My friend had no idea it was coming and she was probably totally relaxed. Her neck snapped back and forth. Her doctor and physical therapist said her case was text book whiplash. Someone said it's like cracking a whip.

I must know some weak or fragile people. You ask if we are made of glass? Another friend was squeegeeing his shower door after a shower. He said he did not notice doing anything weird. He twisted and bent down to get the bottom of the shower door and felt a slight electric like jolt. His back went out and he could barely move. His severe back pain lasted more then a week. Doctor said herniated disc pinching a nerve or something.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Initially I thought the same as you. How is possible to be hurt at such a low speed? I mistakenly assumed "whiplash" claims were basically frivolous law suites. Appearently there are tens of thousands of cases, or more. And it's very real.

My friend was traveling at 5-10 mph and was hit from behind. Not sure how fast the car behind was moving when it hit her? The impact did not do any obvious physical damage after a very quick inspection so both drivers parted ways without filing a police report. It was discovered later on the foam backing behind the bumper was cracked from the impact. So there was some force.

I suspect you were expecting the impact and braced yourself? Or you and your wife are physically stronger then my 102 pound friend. My friend had no idea it was coming and she was probably totally relaxed. Her neck snapped back and forth. Her doctor and physical therapist said her case was text book whiplash. Someone said it's like cracking a whip.

I must know some weak or fragile people. You ask if we are made of glass? Another friend was squeegeeing his shower door after a shower. He said he did not notice doing anything weird. He twisted and bent down to get the bottom of the shower door and felt a slight electric like jolt. His back went out and he could barely move. His severe back pain lasted more then a week. Doctor said herniated disc pinching a nerve or something.
Part of my practice is suing insurance companies when they wrongfully deny claims. I’ve had clients who were in low speed collisions suffer bulged or herniated discs, broken bones, concussions, etc. and others in significant collisions with no injuries.

There are a ton of factors involved with injuries in MVAs. I’ve been in a couple other significant collisions myself and felt totally fine. This one is kicking my ass though.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
Is it me or do more people run red lights now than they did say 20 years ago? Almost daily I see someone blatantly go through one with zero fuks given.
Sponsored