First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
People who run red lights should get their liscens suspened for a year but just cuz you have a license does not mean they know how to drive. :headbang:
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
You’ll want to delete that comment. And most of this thread before insurance gets a hold of it
Yep...Generally, it's up to the insurance companies to determine fault for a car accident. Both insurance companies will work out a deal after seeing the facts. I am guessing a split in liability.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm betting this is going to be way more complex to fix than first meets the eye based on the way the OP hit the other car. Frame being twisted would be a good bet.
^^^ this!

Years ago my 2009 JKUR was rear-ended; it looked like all it needed was the front and rear steel bumpers replaced. Months after I got the Jeep back from the body shop, the manual transmission developed a grinding noise. Took it back to the body shop: they found a bent transmission mount. At that point the insurer had already closed the case; I was SOL. It was $1,000 to replace the damn transmission mount!

Unlike unibody, which absorbs the impact, body-on-frame carries the shock throughout the entire frame. Make sure to have your Jeep THOROUGHLY inspected.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accidents happen. Sucks it happened to a new vehicle. The Wrangler can be repaired or replaced. A split second faster on the gas and it might not have been good for the OP. Good thing no one was hurt.

Good luck OP to getting everything taken care of to your satisfaction.

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
That sucks man...Hopefully its just cosmetic. I'd hate to have that on my history report though.

Those streets look familiar.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sucks man...Hopefully its just cosmetic. I'd hate to have that on my history report though.

Those streets look familiar.
Hopefully his State has diminished value he can claim.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Sorry about the Jeep
Glad you were able to walk away

I'm sure there is a bunch of hidden damage.

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
Ugh - that freaking sucks. That’s why I spent 100ish on a front view camera from Amazon and pay the supplemental modified vehicle insurance. Our legal OP certainly knows more than me here, but I figure better more evidence and insurance versus less couldn’t hurt (unless I’m at fault). My biggest fear is that I get my JLUR just the way I love it, and then some idiot flies through an intersection and ruins me.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrecked new Rubi today. At least Rubicon is tough! 5CB958E6-77D6-439C-B92E-E429D8A008A9

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
You’ll want to delete that comment. And most of this thread before insurance gets a hold of it
Too late. I got screen shots of the whole thing. They're in a DropBox account with an email set to send the link to every insurance company unless I log in and delay the sends.

I accept BitCoin or Jeep parts for a 2020 JLURD. No angry eyes grill!

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Seen this happen plenty. I always watch the oncoming traffic to be sure they're slowing down before crossing their path or be sure I'm clear before they'd get there.

Yeah, they're at fault but I'd rather avoid the headache.

Good luck OP.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I wasn't there but I've made a ton of left handed turns where if someone decided to blow through it I would of had no way to prevent it, other then staying home. How do you figure he could of prevented it ?
look to the left.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Whole thing? no. But you could have prevented it.
THAT is an insurance company response right there. Any time they read "striking" they assume you have some amount of fault. I can assure you that is not always the case. Sometimes, yes but you can't conclude that with nothing to support it.

Yep...Generally, it's up to the insurance companies to determine fault for a car accident.....
Actually it's up to the insurance companies to determine who is going to pay for repairs or injuries. Their only interest is in saving themselves money. I don't fault them for it, it's a business, an the best way for them to profit is to not pay out. That said, it doesn't matter who's fault if is, if they can come up with an excuse to not pay out they will.
Prime example above. When a reports says "striking" they will try to say you could have avoided it, or to put partial blame on you so they don't pay out as much or at all. This isn't always true.

For example you're driving through a straight tunnel, and you can clearly see out the other side. There's no traffic around, it's daylight, clear and you're driving the posted 45 mph speed limit. When you're 25 feet from the end of the tunnel an object from outside the tunnel falls directly into your path and you hit it. You had absolutely no way to see it, since you were in a tunnel, and you were not distract at all. You saw it the instant it fell.
So you hit it, you're partly to blame?
Sure the insurance company says, because you hit it, the report say you struck the object. After all, you had a whole 25 feet to avoid it.
That's BS.
At 45 mph you travel 66 feet per second (65.97 to be specific). You cover that 25 feet in 0.378 seconds. With the average human reaction time of 0.284 that leaves you 0.094 seconds to avoid the object. You can't physically stop that fast, and you change lanes that fast, so you have no chance to avoid the object.
So no, not every crash is avoidable. The insurance company will try to determine that you had some fault in hitting the object. Yours will try to pay as little as possible so they'll try to put at least some fault on you, but the insurance company responsible for the dropped object will try to put all the fault on you. The insurance company doesn't determine fault. They determine who pays how much or how little. Nothing more.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
look to the left.
You're assuming the approaching vehicle that ran the light was visible while looking left. I see a bridge in that photo. Was it masked by the bridge, masked by traffic? We can't assume it was avoidable just because the OP hit the van.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Im a lawyer bud. I know what I’m doing and I’ll be just fine making very sarcastic comments on the internet.
Well I was a federal prosecutor and just trying to help.
Sponsored