Sponsored

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Is it me or do more people run red lights now than they did say 20 years ago? Almost daily I see someone blatantly go through one with zero fuks given.
It's the phones. Folks are just too distracted.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Is it me or do more people run red lights now than they did say 20 years ago? Almost daily I see someone blatantly go through one with zero fuks given.
No, your perfectly correct with your observation. It continues to worsen as the years pass. If it's not phone distraction, it's people's need to rush to nowhere. That leads me to mention another thing that's changing as time passes, which is peoples growing lack of patience.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Definitely. People run stop signs and red lights a lot more now in Chicago. Running lights is the least of our problems in Chicago.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
It's a shame too because the outdoor life up there is phenomenal. Hunting, fish and hiking are amazing, and that's not even getting into winter sports, or water sports. It's a shame they're state government is so jacked up.

I know neck damage from accidents is a real thing, and I do consider myself lucky. But a collision at 5~10MPH causing lifelong damage? what are we made of glass!? I am not saying it isnt true, it is just so bizarre! how is it even possible?
It is bizarre, but the biggest difference in your examples, and the one in question is the direction of the force. The friend was struck from behind, so the body moves forward with the vehicle/seat. However, the head (following Newton's laws of motion) will "stay at rest" as the body accelerate forward. This essentially "whips" the head back. In contrast a frontal impact will cause the body to stop with the vehicle and seat belt, while the head continues forward.
The big difference being the head/neck experiencing an abrupt forward movement versus an abrupt rearward movement.

So on the topic of whiplash. Consider this a PSA.
The headrest on your seat is NOT a head rest. It's not intended to be a pillow, or a place to lean your melon while you're stuck in traffic.
What it is is a head restraint. The purpose of the head restraint is to prevent that abrupt rearward motion. A properly adjusted head restraint will be at a height (and angle if that's adjustable depending on the vehicle) to be nearly touching your head when you're in a normal driving position. When set properly your head will immediately contact the restraint and be propelled forward with the seat, and your body. This prevents that whip motion, which prevents whiplash.
So, fix your head restraints, and protect your neck. It is NOT a pillow.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
How you feeling today Joe? I've got nothing to add to all this internet legal-shmick, but just wanted to say glad you're "okay" after the accident, and see how ya doing now that it is several days after the accident.

Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
No, your perfectly correct with your observation. It continues to worsen as the years pass. If it's not phone distraction, it's people's need to rush to nowhere. That leads me to mention another thing that's changing as time passes, which is peoples growing lack of patience.
I think it is a combination:

- phones
- lack of patience
- sense of self-importance and entitlement

The last one drives the first two.

Now get off my lawn!

OP
OP

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
How you feeling today Joe? I've got nothing to add to all this internet legal-shmick, but just wanted to say glad you're "okay" after the accident, and see how ya doing now that it is several days after the accident.
Thanks! I’m beat up but hoping for a quick recovery.

Salt in the wound today: JTop is out for delivery and tube doors will be delivered tomorrow. :(

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Thanks! I’m beat up but hoping for a quick recovery.

Salt in the wound today: JTop is out for delivery and tube doors will be delivered tomorrow. :(
It is alright. I lost my 2018 JL on a pretty traumatic accident. I know how shitty it is, after the trauma goes away, not having your jeep and all that. Luckily though, things return back to normal pretty quickly and you'll forget about it.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Failure to stop at a red light is an unnecessary and negligent risk. Traffic laws are designed to keep the public safe and prevent wrecks like this from happening.

@Jerkeejoe I’m glad you’re okay even though you’re bruised and in pain. Are you thinking the insurance will total your Jeep or send it to a collision repair center?

OP
OP

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Failure to stop at a red light is an unnecessary and negligent risk. Traffic laws are designed to keep the public safe and prevent wrecks like this from happening.

@Jerkeejoe I’m glad you’re okay even though you’re bruised and in pain. Are you thinking the insurance will total your Jeep or send it to a collision repair center?
Thanks. I appreciate that (and all the other well wishes).

Not sure on the property damage. I actually took it back to the dealer I got it from. They are a Jeep Only dealership and they are going to do all of the work.

They were going to try to get into it today to get a better idea on the damage. They’re pretty much certain the front axle is bent and they think the frame is bent also. I highly doubt they’ll total it since it’s a brand new and would need to have something like $35-40k in damage to be a total loss. The front bumper is toast as is the driver fender. On a quick look, I think several suspension components are also broke. Hopefully I get a much better idea of the scope of the damage tomorrow morning.

Sponsored

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
Definitely. People run stop signs and red lights a lot more now in Chicago. Running lights is the least of our problems in Chicago.
I'm in Chicago as well. Even with the red light cameras, folks still ignore the red lights. It's crazy.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Can you send some pics of the suspension damage (bent axle, parts, etc)? I'd LOVE to see them.

OP
OP

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Can you send some pics of the suspension damage (bent axle, parts, etc)? I'd LOVE to see them.
Sure. When everything is wrapped up with insurance I'll post pics of all the damaged stuff.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Sure. When everything is wrapped up with insurance I'll post pics of all the damaged stuff.
Thanks!! I'd love to survey the suspension/axle/frame damage from that hit.