Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Well I was a federal prosecutor and just trying to help.
before this goes any further I just want to say I was out of town when this happened.

some douchnozzle hit my GTI when it was parked in front of the house. looks like they tried to turn around and crunched the junction of the front quarter panel and door. Of course no note. Have a great body shop and figured it would be a relatively cheap/easy fix. Nope - about $3k. Progressive was great to deal with.

Glad the OP is ok. Vehicles can be fixed or replaced.
Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Dang, that's brutal.

And also all the legal quabbling: If the other driver ran a red light, there's no escaping that they are 100% at fault. Try not to run red lights. In Las Vegas it's really easy to avoid running red lights since the intersections are large and the streets are long and flat lol. Some problematic intersections (IIRC) even have a delay between one side turning red and the other turning green.

I'm glad everything is ok! Stay safe!

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Dang, that's brutal.

And also all the legal quabbling: If the other driver ran a red light, there's no escaping that they are 100% at fault. Try not to run red lights. In Las Vegas it's really easy to avoid running red lights since the intersections are large and the streets are long and flat lol. Some problematic intersections (IIRC) even have a delay between one side turning red and the other turning green.

I'm glad everything is ok! Stay safe!
I can attest to this.

Some years back in a Chicago suburb, I was coming off a double shift at Motorola. Was 2am or so and raining.
I had a green light at an intersection and could see a van stopped there. I had the feeling he was going to punch it and run the light, so I slowed a bit. Sure enough, that's what he did.
Now, I believe that I practiced good defensive driving and missed hitting that guy.
However, I did T-Bone the cop no one saw right on the guys bumper who also decided to stomp on the gas and fly out into the intersection. Without lights on as well until he was literally about a foot from impact.
I shot that goof ball clear across the road and into a pole. I was driving an old Montero with a HUGE steal bumper on it.
No bend frame or anything. Just replaced a quarter panel and the bumper. The cop car was totaled of course.
Anyhow.. The jack ass local police farce decided to sue me for crashing into that cop whilst he was running the light, without his flashers.
In IL you cannot get money from the Police with they break your stuff, otherwise they would have ended up paying for everything according to the judge who laughed the police out of court.
So, if the Police are not able to get away with blaming you for crashing into them while they run a light, someone in a Golf likely cannot either.
I actually had to move after that though, as it was basically impossible to drive in that town without getting pulled over for something or another.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t publish anymore information as it could be used against you.
That's a ridiculous statement.

It is very easy to determine who was at fault in this case if there are witnesses as to who had red light vs. green light and inspecting the crash damage. The officers probably already made the determination prior to the OP departing the scene as to who was at fault and issued that party a citation. He can say whatever he wants here and that doesn't change the facts and evidence in a traffic crash.

@Jerkeejoe glad you're ok and looks like the crash happened in Vegas? Metro has top notch crash investigators and motor cops, I'm sure the investigation was thorough and complete.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You're assuming the approaching vehicle that ran the light was visible while looking left. I see a bridge in that photo. Was it masked by the bridge, masked by traffic? We can't assume it was avoidable just because the OP hit the van.
We also can’t assume it was invisible. I’m not sure why people are so averse to being careful.

Clearly the other driver is legally at fault, my point is that you cannot trust other people to adhere to the social contract that is traffic law, and should do everything in one’s power to stay safe out there.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Just want to say....GLAD you're ok...... at the end of the day if you can walk away from something like that it's a blessing.... they make Jeeps everyday...... I was struck by a Tractor trailer at 75 mph while on my Ultra Classic HD. It took me 2 weeks to walk away and 7 months of operations, I still consider myself blessed and very thankful each day that i am still around albeit with pain, just still here. My pops said son just be thankful you still wake up each day.... They make Harleys everyday you can always get another one.... :please:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
People who run red lights should get their liscens suspened for a year but just cuz you have a license does not mean they know how to drive. :headbang:
O they'll drive anyways. I knew a couple of people that didn't have a license for YEARS because they were suspended :headbang: @Jerkeejoe, glad you're ok and not seriously hurt:like:

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Glad you're OK. Sucks about the brand new rig to be injured. Hope you get her patched back up. Also hope the other party has adequate coverage.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

getting to much into this. Im glad your ok. and Jeeps can be replaced no matter the out come. seems like all these youngsters are more into their phones than the road. which ruins driving for everyone. Only reason we have cars that basically drive themselves is the damn people driving while texting and face booking. Any whom make sure they check the frame really good. there is a build thread here on the forum of a father/son combo working on a new rubi that they bought totaled was hit almost the same way and the frame was in bad shape. but good news is that a replacement was like 2K. might be a safe way to go either way to make sure you have no further issues

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
before this goes any further I just want to say I was out of town when this happened.

some douchnozzle hit my GTI when it was parked in front of the house. looks like they tried to turn around and crunched the junction of the front quarter panel and door. Of course no note. Have a great body shop and figured it would be a relatively cheap/easy fix. Nope - about $3k. Progressive was great to deal with.

Glad the OP is ok. Vehicles can be fixed or replaced.
Yeah, repairs add up fast, especially body work.

I'm also glad to see nobody was hurt. That IS the most important part. Nice that the Jeep doesn't look too bad either, but I'd definitely get it looked at close too.

We also can’t assume it was invisible. I’m not sure why people are so averse to being careful.

Clearly the other driver is legally at fault, my point is that you cannot trust other people to adhere to the social contract that is traffic law, and should do everything in one’s power to stay safe out there.
I agree with that. You're absolutely right, we can't assume the approaching vehicle wan't visible either. And yes, we should be cautious when approaching intersections, even when we have the right-of-way.
I think the addition of one word " Whole thing? no. But you probably could have prevented it." likely would have come off less accusatory.
Crashes happen all the time, and most of them are avoidable. Not all of them, but good defensive driving habits will certainly help avert many of them. I used to ride motorcycles, and more than one time i was nearly involved in a crash because someone violated some law or another. It seems motorcycle riders tend to be more aware of traffic around them than people in cars/trucks. I don't know if it's due to the lack of distractions, or the increased vulnerability, but I don't see them involved in stuff like this as much.
FWIW, I no longer ride. I couldn't enjoy it because I was always afraid someone was going to kill me.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
That's a ridiculous statement.

It is very easy to determine who was at fault in this case if there are witnesses as to who had red light vs. green light and inspecting the crash damage. The officers probably already made the determination prior to the OP departing the scene as to who was at fault and issued that party a citation. He can say whatever he wants here and that doesn't change the facts and evidence in a traffic crash.

@Jerkeejoe glad you're ok and looks like the crash happened in Vegas? Metro has top notch crash investigators and motor cops, I'm sure the investigation was thorough and complete.
What's ridiculous about warning a guy to not discuss accident details (especially self incrimination) on social media? I was trying to be helpful. Any generic pamphlet from your insurance company will tell you to get witnesses, pictures, party information and not to discuss the case with anyone not connected to the case.

You might think the officers make a determination but it's the insurance companies that have the most say in how to proceed with the case. Many times, citations are not issued even though fault is pretty clear.

Your right it doesn't change the facts but when you admit blame it can change outcome. Insurance companies comb through the social media sites and look for this very type of information. It seems that a lot of folks love to chronicle every time they fart on Facebook.

I think it's fine to share photos, your recollection of events and how everything went with the situation. I think it's dangerous to admit any kind of blame, regardless if sarcastic or not.

I could site some cases where social media posting came back to bite the publisher and changed the outcome of the case but I'm done with this thread.

Remember I was just offering friendly advice, nothing else or no other agenda.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
What's ridiculous about warning a guy to not discuss accident details (especially self incrimination) on social media? I was trying to be helpful. Any generic pamphlet from your insurance company will tell you to get witnesses, pictures, party information and not to discuss the case with anyone not connected to the case.

You might think the officers make a determination but it's the insurance companies that have the most say in how to proceed with the case. Many times, citations are not issued even though fault is pretty clear.

Your right it doesn't change the facts but when you admit blame it can change outcome. Insurance companies comb through the social media sites and look for this very type of information. It seems that a lot of folks love to chronicle every time they fart on Facebook.

I think it's fine to share photos, your recollection of events and how everything went with the situation. I think it's dangerous to admit any kind of blame, regardless if sarcastic or not.

I could site some cases where social media posting came back to bite the publisher and changed the outcome of the case but I'm done with this thread.

Remember I was just offering friendly advice, nothing else or no other agenda.
We definitely have insurance companies trawling social media and in particular vehicle specific forums in the U.K. for evidence. To the extent that guilty parties will sometimes try to create a false narrative to influence them.

I’m NOT suggesting that is what is happening here.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Wow, this thread has everything; action, drama, intrigue, lawyers, prosecutors, insurance agents, safe driving instructors, virtue signalers, social contractors, and a few "Karens". Somehow I leave smarter yet dumber...

OP glad to hear you are OK.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
THAT is an insurance company response right there. Any time they read "striking" they assume you have some amount of fault. I can assure you that is not always the case. Sometimes, yes but you can't conclude that with nothing to support it.

Actually it's up to the insurance companies to determine who is going to pay for repairs or injuries. Their only interest is in saving themselves money. I don't fault them for it, it's a business, an the best way for them to profit is to not pay out. That said, it doesn't matter who's fault if is, if they can come up with an excuse to not pay out they will.
Prime example above. When a reports says "striking" they will try to say you could have avoided it, or to put partial blame on you so they don't pay out as much or at all. This isn't always true.

For example you're driving through a straight tunnel, and you can clearly see out the other side. There's no traffic around, it's daylight, clear and you're driving the posted 45 mph speed limit. When you're 25 feet from the end of the tunnel an object from outside the tunnel falls directly into your path and you hit it. You had absolutely no way to see it, since you were in a tunnel, and you were not distract at all. You saw it the instant it fell.
So you hit it, you're partly to blame?
Sure the insurance company says, because you hit it, the report say you struck the object. After all, you had a whole 25 feet to avoid it.
That's BS.
At 45 mph you travel 66 feet per second (65.97 to be specific). You cover that 25 feet in 0.378 seconds. With the average human reaction time of 0.284 that leaves you 0.094 seconds to avoid the object. You can't physically stop that fast, and you change lanes that fast, so you have no chance to avoid the object.
So no, not every crash is avoidable. The insurance company will try to determine that you had some fault in hitting the object. Yours will try to pay as little as possible so they'll try to put at least some fault on you, but the insurance company responsible for the dropped object will try to put all the fault on you. The insurance company doesn't determine fault. They determine who pays how much or how little. Nothing more.
In a lot of cases without witnesses and other evidence it's he said-she said. Unless one party admits fault, or if it is very obvious who was at fault, BOTH insurance companies will probably assume some fault or liability. Both drivers/parties might have chargeable records on their insurance profiles. It might be state specific because insurance is state regulated. There is some thing insurance companies use called Fault Allocation. It is used to determine who is a fault or how much fault each party is responsible for. For example..Under Massachusetts law, you are considered to be at-fault for an accident if your driving behavior at the time of the accident was more than 50% of the reason for the accident. In no-fault states, each injured party collects under their own no-fault coverage. Like I said, insurance is state regulated so different for every state.
Sponsored

Last edited: