Sponsored

Wreck in a leased JL

mischman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I need some advice. I have a leased JL, lease is up in a few months. It has a steal bumper and fog lights on it. I have stock parts.
Being a lease, it obviously has full coverage.

I hit a deer tonight on a back road doing about 65mph. The fog light is cracked and the bumper is bent bad, the removable edge piece is bent into the wheel(i had to take it off to drive home). Its midnight so i havent checked anything else under the hood or jeep but it drove home fine.

Assuming its just the steel bumper and fog lights, should i even call insurance or just put stock parts back on? If i do call insurance, what happens? FCA take money and do repairs or is like i own the vehicle and they give me a check and i do repairs? i have take off parts. Also, what about my insurance rates?
I have the same question above only what happens if there is some real damage to is besides the bumper and fog light?
TBH, if its just the bumper and fogs id like to swap to my stocks and leave insurance and FCA out of it and not have the headache.
thanks
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
You said it right in the last paragraph. Just put back the stock stuff. If you put in an insurance claim they’ll raise your rate.
If you turn it in damaged the lease company will charge you.
Insurance companies are a blessing many times but sometimes they’re
“Legal thieves”.
As far as deer go, I don’t know if it’s the warm winters we’ve been having but there seems to be a ton of them here in NY state. It’s my biggest worry when driving at night or in fog. I even see them at the outskirts of the city now. They keep me on my toes while driving. When I go upstate in the early morning I’m afraid to look at the radio or adjust the temperature. I feel like in the movies, I’m gonna look back up and there’s gonna be a deer 5 feet in front of me while I’m doing 75.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You really can't decide until you assess all the damage in the light of day. But even if it's limited to what you described, It's likely to be well over $1k in new parts.

But I got tapped in the rear of my Camaro after a hard traffic induced stop on the freeway once. It damaged my black textured lower bumper cover. The steel structural bumper underneath was fine. Still that black plastic part was $400. But it did keep the car from listing a collision on carfax.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

my two cents. take the bumper off look to see if any further damage is shown. then install the stock bumper and make sure it fits correctly and lines up. if it bent the steel bumper to the tire there is good change for minor frame damage but you wont know tell you look in the light of day

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Again, check it out, but if it’s just the bumper and a light you’ll be ahead fixing it yourself with OEM parts and not saying anything to insurance or FCA. It’ll cost some $$ upfront but you’ll be ahead in the long run. Find an OEM takeoff or one off a Jeep that’s been rear ended. Good luck.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I’ve never leased a vehicle, so I don’t know the answer to this. But, it seems logical to me that when you turn a leased vehicle back in, there is paperwork for you to sign and that paperwork likely includes affirmative statements that you have disclosed all “defects/significant accidents/etc” on the vehicle. I would also bet that your current lease contract requires you to take certain actions now (separate from when You turn the Jeep in)......

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Wow. Lots of bad advice on this thread.

I had the same thing happen. Called insurance. They did an assessment and cut me a check. Because it was not considered my fault it did not impact my rates.

it is no different when you lease. It's just a different form of financing.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
Most insurance companies will not increase your rate for hitting a deer.
If you turn it in to insurance, have it repaired with OE parts before you end your lease, you’re good

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Pretty sure hitting a deer is covered by comprehensive so no deductible but definitely call insurance company. Also, depending on the state and the value of your bumper / light you may be required to report it. Best outcome, you get your aftermarket bumper and light replaced, worst case, put stock back on.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Actually.. I just remembered, in my case the deer hit me. No joke, it ran into my door so I believe that’s why I had no deductible. Still, call and find out, no harm in checking.

Sponsored

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
I was fooled.

I thought this was a wreck!!!

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
Wow. Lots of bad advice on this thread.

I had the same thing happen. Called insurance. They did an assessment and cut me a check. Because it was not considered my fault it did not impact my rates.

it is no different when you lease. It's just a different form of financing.
Not everyone has quality insurance. A lot of people are running whatever is teh cheapest and they tend to penalize you for using their services

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Honestly, turning it in on lease isn't going to change anything for you. At the end of the day you do not own the vehicle and as long as you fix the vehicle to be in perfect resalable order then you are good. My friends wife was T-Boned in her leased Rogue. The insurance had the whole side, both doors and fender replaced. He traded it back in at the end of the lease and there were no issues. Resale on the other hand will suck for what ever dealer gets it since it will have an accident on file.

Hope this helps.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
And nobody cares how the deer is doing. Wow.

Like many have said hitting a deer goes under comprehensive coverage so it won’t count against you and your rates “should” not go up. I did a comprehensive claim once, rates did not go up, but it’s on my insurance record as a no-fault claim.

I’m surprised the deer hit caused so little damage. I’ve seen cars totaled from hitting a deer...you got lucky.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot where this pic came from. May have been this forum. Anyway, I guess it fits this thread.
Poor little guy!

4CD763AF-1575-4099-A6C3-A413F85DA676.jpeg
Sponsored