Wranglers and hail

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Hail season is upon us here in Colorado, we have 2 sheet metal cars, the (hardtop) Wrangler, and a 2 car garage. I assume the Wrangler will be the easiest/cheapest vehicle to repair from hail damage as 70% of the vulnerable parts are bolt-off/bolt on. Further that the plastic/fiberglass parts will have some give, so may not damage as easily as the metal hood.

Are my assumptions wrong? Has anyone had bad hail damage on a Wrangler? What were the consequences?
Sponsored

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Had hail damage in Mi last year. Golf ball size hail. Soft top, so no damage there, but pretty heavy damage on the hood. Probably a dozen or more dents. No broken paint.
Because it is aluminum, I thought it would be an issue, but after the repair could not tell it even happened.

Reactions: TRZ

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
We had a lot of hail (as usual) in Texas last year leading up until I bought mine. It had two slight dings in the hood and nowhere else (I have a soft-top). Believe me, I've lived here all my life and you always look over a vehicle at different light angles to spot dings or bad hail damage repairs that dealers don't mention. The sides and most glass being at 90 degree angles help too since damaging hail "usually" comes straight down.

Parts usually aren't replaced, they just pop the dents and I assume the Wrangler would get fewer versus egg shaped cars.

Reactions: TRZ

Malamutants13

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I was so sad when I went outside and saw this. I actually slept through this entire Oklahoma storm. My friend’s back window was shattered by the hail a few blocks away. I haven’t gotten it fixed yet since we’re still in the midst of storm season and my new house won’t be finished for a few more weeks.

ED5FB20D-6DCD-447B-B874-A156FA7AFB81.jpeg

TXFirecracker

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Willys
I was so sad when I went outside and saw this. I actually slept through this entire Oklahoma storm. My friend’s back window was shattered by the hail a few blocks away. I haven’t gotten it fixed yet since we’re still in the midst of storm season and my new house won’t be finished for a few more weeks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wranglers and hail ED5FB20D-6DCD-447B-B874-A156FA7AFB81
Sorry to see that. We had some bad hail down here about 5 years ago that got my wife's new Maxima and my 2 year old F-150. Pains me to see that....Luckily the shop we took them to fixed them right up with no visible evidence it ever happened. Just go over it with a microscope as some damage can be subtle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TRZ

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue

Jeep Wrangler JL Wranglers and hail ED5FB20D-6DCD-447B-B874-A156FA7AFB81
Sorry this happened, but thanks for confirming my suspicions. You might want to consider replacing with an aftermarket Fiberglas hood, depending on how insurance works out.

I’ll be rigging up a way to secure a moving blanket or two to my hood to try to minimize hail damage.

Malamutants13

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Sorry this happened, but thanks for confirming my suspicions. You might want to consider replacing with an aftermarket Fiberglas hood, depending on how insurance works out.

I’ll be rigging up a way to secure a moving blanket or two to my hood to try to minimize hail damage.
My buddy used some small inflatable air mattresses but I think pool floats, a blanket or tarp, and bungees would be just as effective but more economical.

34C4747B-7FF3-4E2F-A8ED-3FA81069C58A.jpeg

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Mech Engineer
Am I the only guy that parks his Jeep in the garage?
no, but not all homes have garages, the garage may be full of clutter or projects, or in the better situation too many cars to park in said garage. Apartments and some townhomes often don't have garages included.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Nope, but some guys are at work or on the road somewhere when it hits. I was driving once in a bad storm and was able to pull into a car wash bay seconds before it hit. Another time, we were out eating, and was able to go park under a bank drive through before it hit. Sometimes you get lucky.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Nope, but some guys are at work or on the road somewhere when it hits. I was driving once in a bad storm and was able to pull into a car wash bay seconds before it hit. Another time, we were out eating, and was able to go park under a bank drive through before it hit. Sometimes you get lucky.
I've done the bank teller shelter before. Girl felt sorry for me and sent candy out thru the chute.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Garage? That's for the motorcycles isn't it? I mean, I only took my Harley mud bogging once. Never did it on my chopper.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
I would guess all these folks would have to clean out the pack-rat stuff first to get into the garages. Seen too many "stuffed" garages to give you a better reply