Sponsored

Wrangler4xe in the extreme cold Canadian winter? Block heater?

Patthe

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler unlimited JL
Good day,
I live in Alberta and in the winter the temperature can drop to - 45c and even less. (-49f).

My question is does the 4xe usualy come with a block heater? Does it need one? Or when plugin it keep the engine or battery at a safe temperature for the winter?

Thanks
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Never thought of that, actually. If you were out of charge at a start, it would function as a normal gas engine, so I would say yes. As for a block heater, i can’t imagine they leave the plant in Toledo with one as standard, but like any other car, you can either add one to your order or get a dealer to install one.

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Nope as per User guide it has to be plugged in to start. Regardless if you have block heater or not. The battery needs to be on safe temperature to start. I was hoping as well to start normal engine then heat battery but this is not the way hybrid works. Montréal here, so I hear you
If the ambient temperature is 5°F (-15°C) or below at vehicle shut down, the instrument cluster will display the message “Plug In Vehicle To Condition Battery”.
If the battery temperature is below -22°F (-30°C), or 131°F (55°C) or above, the vehicle will NOT start:
 If the vehicle is plugged in at these battery temperatures, the instrument cluster will display the message “Please Leave Key In RUN — Battery Conditioning Needed”.
 If the vehicle is not plugged in at these battery temperatures, the “Plug In Vehicle To Condition Battery” will be shown in the instru- ment cluster display.

User guide page 7
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/downloads/2021-Wrangler-4xe-Hybrid-Supplement.pdf#page5
Sponsored