Wrangler YJ 1990 - Need Good SOCAL Mechanic

etvander

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep Wrnagler YJ
I live in Pasadena, CA. I have a 1990 Wrangler YJ. I have had it since I bought it new. My local mechanic cannot figure out what the problem is. It cranks to start normal, it will start, but then 5 seconds later it dies. It does this consistently. He thinks it is a wiring or a computer issue. but cannot diagnose precisely. He is ready to throw in the towel. Has anyone had this problem and can suggest something, or does someone have a trusted, experienced Wrangler mechanic locally to suggest. I want my baby back.
Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Have you ever replaced the coils? Also check your pcm and make sure the seals are still sealing. They get old and fail and water can mess with them. Happened on my old one.

Also this forum is mainly about the newest wrangler jl. You might get more help on a jeep forum with more yj owners. :like:

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
A 5 minute run could be anything. The first thing to identify is to know whether it's lacking fuel or fire.

Hook up a fuel gauge to the rail and look at it until it dies. If it fluctuates greatly (not just vibrating), then the pump is bad or the fuel filter is clogged.
As for fire, hook up an inline spark tool. See if the fire is erratic.

I assume the '90 is a carburated engine, so not that much that can go wrong on the fuel injection side as it ain't got it :)

JP18

Logan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 HellaYella Wrangler Sport
Off the top of my head, first thought is fuel pump (they die in the summer time too). Another thought is the voltage regulator, in '90 it should be built into the alternator in '91 they switched the regulator into the ECM.

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
had and 89 YJ........it would just shut off going down the road. Don't know what its called but there is a black box mounted in the driver front wheel well behind the tire not under the hood. Replaced it and it fixed the problem. Don't know if its an ECM/PCM or some type of regulator. It was about $60 back in the 90's.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I live in Pasadena, CA. I have a 1990 Wrangler YJ. I have had it since I bought it new. My local mechanic cannot figure out what the problem is. It cranks to start normal, it will start, but then 5 seconds later it dies. It does this consistently. He thinks it is a wiring or a computer issue. but cannot diagnose precisely. He is ready to throw in the towel. Has anyone had this problem and can suggest something, or does someone have a trusted, experienced Wrangler mechanic locally to suggest. I want my baby back.
Quite the wide net you're casting looking for advice. There's a big difference between a JL and a YJ - but plenty of people have/had both so I guess it makes sense. :jk:

MtBaldyDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUS, 2019 JLUR
Occupation
Stand up Philosopher
I remember a lot of CA smog stuff on my YJ and It had issues with vacuum lines and egr valve not opening or closing properly when it warmed up. But to me it does sound fuel delivery related.

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
Change : Ignition control module . ICM
Sponsored