Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty CRD
Occupation
Retired
Hello All,

I am sure there will be a lot flames and insults towards me, but that is OK.

I am into overlanding, never going near any rocks to crawl. I have been doing overlanding for more than 25 years now. My current ride is a 2006 Liberty CRD.

Once I heard that Wrangler will be offering diesel option, I have been following and reading you post with passion. However, the prices I am hearing is basically forcing me to forget about Wrangler. Don't misunderstand me, I love Wrangler but getting a diesel and fulltime 4WD is forcing me into packages that I don't need not to mention that these packages push up the price into $40k+.

My impression is that Wrangler has become something like Apple. Many people but iPhone and other Apple product to show off without knowing what they get or give up if they go with Android based phones and tablets.

I would like to know what you guys think. Is riding a Wrangler worth paying the premium? With less money I can get a 4Runner which is a very capable off-roader or wait to see what Ford will come up with or the next Toyota that we have seen pictures of.

I always believed that competition is good for two reason, one prices will become more competitive and two, manufacturers will be forced to innovate and improve their products.

So, what do you think, for those of us that actually buy SUV for a reason, is paying the premium for a Wrangler worth it?
Sponsored

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fun ones!
Different strokes for different folks. There really is no competition to the Wrangler. Currently there is no other vehicle you can remove the top and doors. That was a big deciding factor for me. I donā€™t really go off roading often (handful of times in the 5 years Iā€™ve owned my JKU). I bought my ā€˜13 JKU brand new in ā€˜12 and paid $30k for a fully optioned Sport (dual tops, max tow package, etc). You donā€™t have to spend $40k plus. My next Wrangler will probably be an optioned out Rubi. Not because I need one, but because I can :)

Canā€™t go wrong with a 4Runner. Nice, reliable, and hold their value well just like the Wrangler. But I know everytime I see one on the road Iā€™m sure the guy (or gal) envies my Jeep with the doors and top removed ;)

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that there really is no competition to the Wrangler. For me the removable top/doors, rock crawling capabilities, aftermarket options, and resale value make it hard to find anything comparible. If it were ONLY a daily driver and I didn't care about the top coming off I'm sure there are much better options.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
My personal experience started with Cherokee in 95 and since then I have loved Jeep.

In 2002 I bought Liberty and never let me down. There are brands that I respect but I find myself with Jeep.

I will buy Wrangler in the highest category (despite my long suffering with the local agent, which is 200 km away and despite the lack of engineers who know this brand at the time) I will not pay attention to the price and will only wait for the engine specifications to decide between them.

* About a year ago, a branch of the company was opened in my city, I wish I grow up.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Even though with the addition of the JK unlimited the Wrangler caught on as a cool soccer dad vehicle, that keeps a bunch of them rolling out of the factory. They have been selling great and that's why it's survived through times as the competition faded out of production. The JKU has become way more refined over the years and even though the majority of Wranglers never leave the pavement, it's still one of the very few vehicles that can handle the trails right off the showroom floor. The cool factor is still a major reason for purchase though.

Sponsored

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I guess until we really see more information it's hard to say how the diesel will be packaged out. But the trend is to option all vehicles to the hilt and that drives up the price. Granted look at how far Jeeps have come from the days of CJ's, they are downright primitive compared to todays Jeeps.

A diesel Jeep appeals to me as well, diesels have always fetched a premium though but if FCA really forces you into a number of not so useful options I would probably go with the V6 but too soon to really know for sure. Once the brochures come out or ordering information turns up at the dealer level then it will be a lot easier to say one way or the other.

Btw Ford is coming out with a new Bronco, which will be a smallish SUV however it doesn't have the provenance of a Jeep nor likely the resale value.

OP
OP

Ben67

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty CRD
Occupation
Retired
My personal experience started with Cherokee in 95 and since then I have loved Jeep.

In 2002 I bought Liberty and never let me down. There are brands that I respect but I find myself with Jeep.

I will buy Wrangler in the highest category (despite my long suffering with the local agent, which is 200 km away and despite the lack of engineers who know this brand at the time) I will not pay attention to the price and will only wait for the engine specifications to decide between them.

* About a year ago, a branch of the company was opened in my city, I wish I grow up.
With the mortgage, kids' college funds, mother's retirement home expenses... not everyone has the luxury of not paying attention to the price.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I would like to know what you guys think. Is riding a Wrangler worth paying the premium?
Not for people like you, no.
If a 4Runner is in your equation, then itā€™s not the vehicle for you, your needs lie elsewhere and youā€™re paying for things you donā€™t value.

BTW, where are you getting a Fulltime 4WD diesel 4Runner? Sure isnā€™t in Seattle.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
No.

Actual price should start at 18k and a loaded Rubicon should be 32k.

But people keep buying and resale value is insane, so FCA has a cash cow.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Actual price should start at 18k and a loaded Rubicon should be 32k.
Pffttt... WRONG !! They should be FREE to a Good Home !! :jk:

Reactions: mln

Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
With the mortgage, kids' college funds, mother's retirement home expenses... not everyone has the luxury of not paying attention to the price.
For me it is not a luxury this car is unique and we are still at acceptable prices with some reservations on what options are being offered. The luxury you find in another brand, Wrangler superior to them practically and this is amazing.

Last edited:

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
It's possible to build a nice Jeep out of the lower priced Sports, yeah you don't get the Rubicon stickers but there is a pretty substantial difference in cost. Sports up here are in the $26-29,000 range while a Rubicon can top out at $54,000 for a 2 door and yes our Canadian prices suck. There is also very little discount on them even though this is the end of the current model year.

I looked long and hard at the current model Wrangler and I might still pull the pin depending on what finally happens price wise on the JL. But not everyone needs a Rubicon yeah it might be nice but were I to buy current one I would be looking at the Sport S with hard top.

The main difference besides price are the off road parts though given the difference in prices it might actually make more sense to build a Sport depending on how much off roading you are planning on doing. I've also seen this mentioned by at least one automotive publication. Seems to me that the vast majority of Jeeps up here actually never get mud on them and truthfully a new Jeep of mine would see a lot more on than off road use.

I also like the look of the old Rubicon wheels that are on the Sport S vs the new ones on the Rubicon so if I bought a Rubicon those wheels would be the first things I changed. Although I would likely change the wheels and tires to something else on either.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If budget is the issue, wait for the final run of JK's in the spring. They are reportedly going to go with heavy discounts. In fact, you might consider ordering a 2018 Sport, or pick up a 2017. They are still out there and deals can be had on them. I'd take a JK any day over a 4 Runner. A decent winch can be had for a few hundred bucks, and a winch plate for the stock bumper is cheap. That will get you out of sticky situations. You could then upgrade the rest as you can afford it. I put a 2" AEV spacer lift on my JK, along with 33" tires for about 1500 bucks, and it gave the JK what it lacked, which was a decent breakover angle.

If set on a 2018, you'll pay more, but I'd bet a Sport could be ordered for less than the 4 Runners you'll find on dealer lots.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The " Premium " for the Wrangler is worth it ; it's a vehicle that lies at the happy Confluence of Form and Function, Perception and Reality.

It can appeal to the Walter Mitty in us, and deliver, out of the box. You can dress it up, as your imagination and wallet dictates.

It is instantly recognizable, from 1941 to the present. There are many Imitators, and Pretenders, but Jeep not only started it all, it still leads.

There are Jeep People, and people who happen to drive Jeeps. You either "get it", or you don't.
To those that Do, keep on Jeeping. To those that don't, enjoy the Whatevers.
Sponsored