Wrangler vs Bronco manual?

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
I wouldn't let the few failures stop you from ordering a Jeep the way you want. Failures tend to be blown out of proportion on the internet. A majority of the manual trans owners have many tens of thousands of trouble free miles each.

Order a Rubicon with the 4.88 gears if you can. Throw some 35s or 37s on it and have fun.

Keep a reserve to pay for a clutch upgrade at some point down the road and enjoy it in the mean time.

+1 on this. I'm on my second JLUR (2018, 2023) with manuals with a total of 60k miles between the two and with zero clutch or transmission problems. Ordered the 4:88 gearing on the '23 and it moves.
Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Let me apologize first as this is NOT meant to troll or start anything... I have a serious question.

Currently have a JLU and it's a light off-roader and since it's the misses, needs to stay that way. So I want my own! Really want a 2DR JL w/the 6spd. However after seeing so many with issues on here, and now the recall, I'm a little reluctant. I'm just curious what Ford is doing different with the Bronco? I've heard there are some noisy gear issues, but that's about it. I mean did Jeep just cheap out on the clutch? Poorly designed? Both? I just find it odd that they can build a Hellcat that can handle 707HP, but can't get it right in a 285HP application?!

I'll give it another year... but I can't wait any longer then that! Although now I just read that Ford is halting 7spd manual production as they re-tool the plant for Ranger assembly. Jeez, getting so hard to find anything with a manual in it. :(
Steve,
I'll agree with everyone else who's already said just get your manual transmission and have fun. I really believe this is one of those times the squeaky wheel has received most of the attention. I'm not minimizing the problems those who've had - have had. Are there some bumps and bruises to sort out. Yup. But at 26K & change miles I'm among the trouble-free crowd with my 6MT and wouldn't have any other vehicle in the garage. After lifting and going 35's a re-gear to 4.88 helped tremendously - still believe it's one of the best things you can do for your Wrangler. So if you want a manual don't wait because of the clutch - get it while you can. And yes, get it with 4.88's. The price will only go up, and some day Jeep may join the Philistines and do away with it once for all. Then it'll be too late. Just my 2¢.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Two suggestions:

1. Go test drive a 6-speed. Stop facing downhill on a steep hill. Try to reverse up the hill.

2. On that same test drive, get out on the interstate and find a moderate grade. Drive at 70 mph and see if you can maintain speed in 6th and 5th.

The suggestion to buy it with 4.88s is a good one. The gearing is crap with 4.10s and higher.

OP
OP
R3TRO

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
Two suggestions:

1. Go test drive a 6-speed. Stop facing downhill on a steep hill. Try to reverse up the hill.

2. On that same test drive, get out on the interstate and find a moderate grade. Drive at 70 mph and see if you can maintain speed in 6th and 5th.

The suggestion to buy it with 4.88s is a good one. The gearing is crap with 4.10s and higher.
I can only get 4.88 with Rubicon right? Was hoping to order a Willys sport. I already have a set of Rubicon springs and Mopar LCA and Rubicon take-off wheels/tires. Was going to put an Eaton truetrac in the front and be done with it. Kinda on a budget and Rubicon is out of my price range. Another reason I wanted a manual, affordability!

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
No doubt the 6MT is kinda goofy in the JL, but it does it's job just fine.
With the very limited number of U.S. drivers that even know what a manual transmission is, I think it's a safe bet that the horror stories we hear about detonating clutches are mostly from inexperienced drivers, probably riding the clutch at 5000rpm with the parking brake set.

Of course, they'll tell us they've been driving manuals longer than they've been alive and know how to drive one better than anyone.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I can only get 4.88 with Rubicon right? Was hoping to order a Willys sport. I already have a set of Rubicon springs and Mopar LCA and Rubicon take-off wheels/tires. Was going to put an Eaton truetrac in the front and be done with it. Kinda on a budget and Rubicon is out of my price range. Another reason I wanted a manual, affordability!
Yeah, you’re not gonna like that gearing at all so plan on spending another $2-3k getting it regeared.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I read the headline and knew there would be a few comments on here from folks with the usual "i spent my whole life driving manuals but with the new JL auto, i never looked back"... "best transmission ever" blah blah. These are the same people who think the paddle shifties that autos' have on the steering wheel make the transmission "fun" and give them the same control as a manual.

True, the transmission isn't the best manual I have ever driven but it still a blast to drive. My advice, get a manual JL if you know how to drive one and have two legs (yes, call me ableist). Unless you are going to regear straight away, get a Rubi with 4.88s.

As others have said, Manual Bronco appears to be unobtanium for the next year or two and I would expect that to be much longer than the time it will take Stelantis to solve their own manual issue.

Sincerely,
6speed Owner

drpericak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Earl JLU Rubicon
Occupation
dentist
I put 79K on my 2019 JLUR, no issues with the clutch or tranny. My 2023 feels exactly the same. No issues. The only thing I don't like is the shifter. I had a '13 and '16 JKUR, both with manuals and the shifter bounced around and shook like it would in an older pick up. That was way cooler than having a tranny like a Honda. But it's still ok. Just get the manual

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
My last car with a clutch was my 1996 Mustang Cobra which we traded in back in 2000. Miss the car, don't miss a clutch at all.

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
There have been hundreds of people whining about the Wrangler clutch saying it’s trash. Hard to shift, ratios all wrong. I have driven manuals since my 3 in the tree F100 back in 1972.. My Chevy 2500 1974, 1st and second were in 2 different zip codes the shifter was so far apart. Big deal! I love manuals and would never own a Wrangler without a manual. 7 and counting. I had never driven a JL MT till mine came in a three weeks ago. Exactly what I thought. I love the thing. Sure it’s way lighter than my TJ or JK. So what? Took me about 2 hrs to get used to it so I can crank tunes and shift fine without hearing the motor. The people who love them are out wheeling with a smile. The whiners and criers are on the forums whining and crying. Get the manual!

Last edited:

Sponsored

CapeArt

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Sport S, Porsche 987S, MazdaSpeed Miata
There have been hundreds of people whining about the Wrangler clutch saying it’s trash. Hard to shift, ratios all wrong. I have driven manuals since my 3 in the tree F100 back in 1972.. My Chevy 2500 1974, 1st and second were in 2 different zip codes the shifter was so far apart. Big deal! I love manuals and would never own a Wrangler without a manual. 7 and counting. I had never driven a JL MT till mine came in a three weeks ago. Exactly what I thought. I love the thing. Sure it’s way lighter than my TJ or JK. So what? Took me about 2 hrs to get used to it so I can crank tunes and shift fine without hearing the motor. The people who love them are out wheeling with a smile. The whiners and criers on on the forums whining and crying. Get the manual!
đź‘Ť :jk:

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
To circle back around to the OP's question - the Bronco definitely has TSB's out for 5th and 6th syncho noise/scraping. With that said, I've driven both quite a bit, and I prefer the Bronco manual over the JL hands down. It's geared better, the clutch has better feedback, and it's just overall a more enjoyable drive. No issues off-road with it either, the little bit of time I had with it, the granny and lower gears have plenty of torque.

For reference this is on a '23 2 Door with SAS package.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Or is it because no one is buying manual trans nowadays (at least in North America), so companies stop putting more resources to develop better manual transmission? Because the ROI just isnt there anymore?
This is it exactly. Plus manuals have been cheapened up. I've seen this when I take an old school apart as opposed to a new one. The gears are thinner, the shift forks went from cast brass to stamped steel with nylon guides for the slider. The bearings are smaller too. Plus, the syncros are really soft and can't take the abuse over the years like old school did. Top it off, just about every manufacturer that offers manuals have clutch and shifter issues. For many, don't even think about adding lots of power as the clutch system can't take it. That explains why the 2.0T does not have a manual. People will put tunes on them get extra power and thus the clutch will slip.

I watched this happen with BMW and in racing. In the old days, a manual and clutch system held up. As time went on, it was clutch and then after that trans issues. It got so bad with the Getrag 6 speed that it would grenade 4th gear and blow a hole in the case. FWD cars became a disaster. Miatas are pure junk. Ask anyone that races one, they become experts on changing out the gearbox in 30 minutes as they fail all of the time.

I will never buy a manual again. When people speak of the Europeans, they are switching too. You can't buy a new racecar from a European manufacturer, that's a manual. There's a reason why.

OP
OP
R3TRO

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
Well thanks for all the feedback! I owe it to myself to at least test drive one of each. I'd like to think I'd be unbiased, but I've never owned a Ford and have had 8+ Jeep/Dodge vehicles.