Sponsored

Wrangler vs Acura MDX... I win

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
So my family and I were waiting in my Rubicon for the car in front of me to finish going through the car wash so I could enter.

All of a sudden, the guy puts his vehicle in reverse, and backs into me.

But he doesn't get out. He just sits in his car like nothing happened.

OK...

I get out, and check my bumper. Not a scratch, but I noticed his bumper had a small indentation in it. His loss.

As I'm walking back to get into my Jeep, he rolls down his window and gives me the peace sign.

I hop back in, and am still waiting for him to get done with the wash.

30 seconds later, he puts his Acura in reverse again, and backs into me even harder. The whole family was shocked by his stupidity.

I yell out of my window, "Dude, what the hell!?"

He just tells back, "what?"

Now I'm getting irritated, so I said, "Dude, you just f'n backed into us and hit us twice!"

"No I didn't. I didn't hit you twice."

"Yes you did!"

He then points at the car wash, and says, "it says to back up!"

And I'm like, "There's a line of cars behind you! Are you drunk or something?".

At this point, he took off, and as he was pulling away, I could see a pretty good sized deformation in his rear bumper, and could tell the plastic had a pretty good sized hole punched into it.

Deciding I should check mine again, I hop out, and once again, not a scratch anywhere.

It was clear that he was smashing into the Factor55 rope guard on the front of my winch. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

I love my Jeep.
Sponsored

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wow... From watching the news here in SoCal lately, you are lucky he showed you a peace sign out the window and not a "real piece --> as in a weapon".

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
I have my own Acura MDX story. Years ago, I'm on the Fins N Things Trail in Moab in my TJ. About half way in, I see this MDX coming the other way. After I make room for him to pass, he says "hey, does the trail get easier that way?" I look back up the series of ledges I'd just come down thinking no way does he even have a chance.

So I say "no, only gets harder that way." I then suggested he take another route back out and he does. As he drives off, over the scraping of undercarriage components I hear the wife say to someone on the phone: "your father is ruining my car!!!".

To be fair, I was reasonably impressed he'd gotten that far into the trail.

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why is there a ā€œback upā€ sign at the Carwash?
It's an electronic sign that lights up if you pull forward too far. But the guy never got his car in the correct position, or moved it while getting his wash, and the thing got confused, as it's just a floor sensor.

The bigger question is why would someone just blindly follow the sign, with no regard for what is around them... twice!

Sponsored

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow... From watching the news here in SoCal lately, you are lucky he showed you a peace sign out the window and not a "real piece --> as in a weapon".
True, but who is more likely to be carrying a weapon? The guy in the MDX, or the one in the Jeep?

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably one of those single stall auto wash units and if you pull in too far, the sigh lights up telling you to back up.
Correct. But the kicker is there is a full car length of space inside the car wash, behind where he is supposed to be to get washed. So he literally backed about 30 feet to try and get completely out of it.

And he knows there are like 5 cars in line for the wash!

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Correct. But the kicker is there is a full car length of space inside the car wash, behind where he is supposed to be to get washed. So he literally backed about 30 feet to try and get completely out of it.

And he knows there are like 5 cars in line for the wash!
Your average person is an idiot.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It's the fault of all the driver "convenience" features being crammed into vehicles these days. I've noticed that many other drivers don't even pay attention to the reflection in their side mirrors, just a quick glance to see if the side detection light is lit or not. Some manufacturers are worsening that by moving the warning light to the a-pillars. More recently, car manufacturers are making commercials that even highlight how ok it is to not pay attention to your surroundings because their car does. Like the young driver backing out into a busy street in front of a school bus, when there is unlimited visibility that relies on a simple turn of the head. Or the car full of a young driver and passengers who can't maintain a lane due to horseplay at highway speeds. It's false acceptance of bad and easily avoidable habits that are offsetting any actual gains in overall safety, which is what these safety packages have led to. We, as a society, used to jest about the dog chasing its tail. Nowadays, we do it ourselves.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
It's the fault of all the driver "convenience" features being crammed into vehicles these days. I've noticed that many other drivers don't even pay attention to the reflection in their side mirrors, just a quick glance to see if the side detection light is lit or not. Some manufacturers are worsening that by moving the warning light to the a-pillars. More recently, car manufacturers are making commercials that even highlight how ok it is to not pay attention to your surroundings because their car does. Like the young driver backing out into a busy street in front of a school bus, when there is unlimited visibility that relies on a simple turn of the head. Or the car full of a young driver and passengers who can't maintain a lane due to horseplay at highway speeds. It's false acceptance of bad and easily avoidable habits that are offsetting any actual gains in overall safety, which is what these safety packages have led to. We, as a society, used to jest about the dog chasing its tail. Nowadays, we do it ourselves.
I agree wholeheartedly.

More and more car commercials are showing distracted driving and poor road manners being "saved" by magic technology. Nearly being side swiped by people blindly changing lanes occurs pretty much daily nowadays.

There's an incredible number of drivers poking their phones at every stop light. They'll invariably (eventually) accelerate on green, after only a cursory glance ahead, before quickly looking down again. I'll bet that there's a patent for a "green-light attention chime" that some manufacturer is sitting on, whilst trying to figure out spin it in the correct light.

It has been shown that accidents and fatalities have not decreased significantly in accordance to the incredible amount of safety technology now mandated into automobiles; people just keep finding new ways to be stupid. I had been waiting for a fourth brake light, but it seems that flashing lights and directional blinkers took precedence.

We are now approaching a new era, in-between when people know how to drive safely and fully automated/self driving cars. It is only going to get worse as lane-assist and adaptive cruise control trickles down to more basic models.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
So my family and I were waiting in my Rubicon for the car in front of me to finish going through the car wash so I could enter.

All of a sudden, the guy puts his vehicle in reverse, and backs into me.

But he doesn't get out. He just sits in his car like nothing happened.

OK...

I get out, and check my bumper. Not a scratch, but I noticed his bumper had a small indentation in it. His loss.

As I'm walking back to get into my Jeep, he rolls down his window and gives me the peace sign.

I hop back in, and am still waiting for him to get done with the wash.

30 seconds later, he puts his Acura in reverse again, and backs into me even harder. The whole family was shocked by his stupidity.

I yell out of my window, "Dude, what the hell!?"

He just tells back, "what?"

Now I'm getting irritated, so I said, "Dude, you just f'n backed into us and hit us twice!"

"No I didn't. I didn't hit you twice."

"Yes you did!"

He then points at the car wash, and says, "it says to back up!"

And I'm like, "There's a line of cars behind you! Are you drunk or something?".

At this point, he took off, and as he was pulling away, I could see a pretty good sized deformation in his rear bumper, and could tell the plastic had a pretty good sized hole punched into it.

Deciding I should check mine again, I hop out, and once again, not a scratch anywhere.

It was clear that he was smashing into the Factor55 rope guard on the front of my winch. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

I love my Jeep.
Similar thing a about 15 ago at a car wash, only I was in my Ram 1500 ā€¦.with trailer hitch installedā€¦guy was behind me in his new mustang and was messing around looking for CDs (dating myself here) in his glove box, leaning across his car and his foot came off the brake. He rolled right into me and didnā€™t get very past my hitch ball, punctured his bumper, pushing things back into his grill and busted his radiator. No damage to my truck, so I left him stranded at the wash station when he declined to call the cops. I guess he wanted to leave his insurance out of it.
Sponsored