Wrangler unlimited trailer towing

1959jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I'm looking for advice on towing an ultra lite travel trailer, I have it narrowed down to two models.
My 1st choice is a UVW of 3449 lbs and hitch weight of 460 lbs
2nd choice is UVW OF 2950 LBS and hitch weight 332 lbs.
I plan on using a weight distribution hitch.
I know im good with the 2nd choice but really like my 1st
I have a 2019 Sahara unlimited 2.4 turbo.

20200831_091329.jpg

20200831_091231.jpg
Sponsored

Rhinozeroone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
I don't recommend your first choice based on legalities. It is my favorite R-Pod though. We got this TT with a very similar floor plan with the major difference being the Murphy bed and being within the tow ratings. It's about as much as I'm comfortable towing with a lifted Rubicon and the 2.0 turbo.

https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/apex-nano/187RB/1594

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Regardless of tow rating, the choice 1 won't be fun to tow. Not to mention you'll exceed all ratings fully loaded. My loaded weight with minimal stuff is about 300-400# more than the listed weight. At 3100# fully loaded, you feel every pound. I also have a weight distribution hitch.

Option be is just going to be more fun and thoughtless to pull.

inorganik

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
If possible, see if a dealer will let you test tow, and pull it up a hill. We just bought the Apex Tera which is just shy of 3000 lbs dry, it's smaller than the Nano. We have an equalizer hitch, which you absolutely need for the JL to keep the rig flat with no sag in back. But it's incredibly nerve wracking to pull up a hill. They are pretty steep and long here in CO. The engine has to rev pretty high to keep it around 50-55mph and I get nervous about the transmission temp.

We are actually thinking of selling it, because the experience of towing is like white knuckle driving, I'm not a fan!

OP
OP
1959jeep

1959jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
If possible, see if a dealer will let you test tow, and pull it up a hill. We just bought the Apex Tera which is just shy of 3000 lbs dry, it's smaller than the Nano. We have an equalizer hitch, which you absolutely need for the JL to keep the rig flat with no sag in back. But it's incredibly nerve wracking to pull up a hill. They are pretty steep and long here in CO. The engine has to rev pretty high to keep it around 50-55mph and I get nervous about the transmission temp.

We are actually thinking of selling it, because the experience of towing is like white knuckle driving, I'm not a fan!
Thank you for your input.

Sponsored

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Interesting thread, sould a diesel handing towing of these units any better?

Rhinozeroone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
I would say yes due to the additional torque. I expect that the diesel would handle hills better and not take as much of a fuel economy hit. We take about a 50% hit in fuel economy towing with the Jeep and we take about a 33% hit with our RAM 1500 Diesel with the same trailer. That being said, the other limiting factors are frame and suspension which is independent of engine choice.

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
Interesting thread, sould a diesel handing towing of these units any better?
I got my diesel last week and it tows 3500lbs. Wow right? 4 years ago I got a Silverado 1/2 ton. It was rated at 7500 lbs for towing. I had a 6000 lb trailer and while towing I watched the trans temp gage climb to 275...I cringed. Spoke to the mechanics and told them my tale. They didn't even flinch. I have found that tow ratings means nut and bolt wise, what can be done. I have found that a little over half rated capability is reality. Good luck and sorry to burst any bubbles.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought a GeoPro 15tb and although its weight was well within the tow limits of 3500 lbs., the hitch weight exceeded the 350 lbs. I decided to place my vehicle recovery gear into the rear compartment of the RV behind the axle. This took some extra weight off my rear axle when i removed the gear from the back of the jeep and also countered the hitch weight of the trailer by shifting weight to the rear. I also removed the battery from the tongue and placed it in the back. when i weighed the trailers hitch weight, it came in at 200 lbs. so i placed my battery back and added another battery on the front for extra longevity. I travel with my recovery gear in the back of the RV and i have a sway bar. My hitch weight runs at 340lbs. And it tows perfectly. My point is that you can shift some weight around on an RV so that the hitch weight becomes more manageable and you may be able to consider some models that may be considered over the hitch limit.

Sponsored

inorganik

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Just thought I should follow up as I have towed across the Rockies and back between Denver and Moab. I think the JL did great. Yes you have to get used to high revs on hills, there’s no way around that, but the engine stayed cool, and the transmission temp didn’t go above 212 which is right in the middle. I also thought the JL did great downhill, the engine braking in manual mode worked great. Needless to say we are keeping our trailer.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just thought I should follow up as I have towed across the Rockies and back between Denver and Moab. I think the JL did great. Yes you have to get used to high revs on hills, there’s no way around that, but the engine stayed cool, and the transmission temp didn’t go above 212 which is right in the middle. I also thought the JL did great downhill, the engine braking in manual mode worked great. Needless to say we are keeping our trailer.
This is helpful. We're leaving in a week to pull westbound through denver headed to ouray. Not super concerned but was worried about mountain pass a little. I was mostly concerned with the downhill. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Maritimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I don't recommend your first choice based on legalities. It is my favorite R-Pod though. We got this TT with a very similar floor plan with the major difference being the Murphy bed and being within the tow ratings. It's about as much as I'm comfortable towing with a lifted Rubicon and the 2.0 turbo.

https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/apex-nano/187RB/1594
I just put a deposit down on the same trailer. Any issues towing? Do you use a weight distribution hitch? If so did you upgrade to a class III receive?

Rhinozeroone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
I just put a deposit down on the same trailer. Any issues towing? Do you use a weight distribution hitch? If so did you upgrade to a class III receive?
No issues towing at safe speeds (Up to 65). A little slow going up hills but that was expected. Barely noticed it when the road was flat including braking. We used an Equalizer WDH and I swapped out to a bigger drop hitch. We did not upgrade the receiver. We also used a Prodigy P3 Brake Controller.

It never porpoised towing with the Jeep but I did tow it once with my friend's F-150 Platinum with the 3.5 Turbo and it porpoised with that.

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA

Did you have the 3.6 or 2.0 ? Curious how they compare ..
Sponsored