Wrangler Unlimited Sahara vs Rubicon

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I am looking to get a fairly loaded Wrangler. I was about to put in an order for a Rubicon and for the for the heck of it built out a Sahara and found it is much less expensive.

I am not a hard core off roader, the craziest stuff I do is hunt in the fall/winter down some backcountry two tracks and dirt roads that can get sandy or muddy and rough.

My current Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk can currently handle everything I have encountered except one time when there was a fairly messy sandy / muddy stretch on some back road I barely got through and then had to stop and the first power wash car wash I found to get the sand out of my wheels to get them back in balance.

My other driving is around town, towing a boat and some traveling. I had my eye on a Rubicon, mainly because they look cooler, and the branding, but I wonder if a Rubicon is overkill for me.

Two pretty much identical builds give me the following price:

Rubicon: $55,120
Unlimited Sahara: $51,650

What are the major things I am missing with a Sahara vs a Rubicon ?

Is there anything I am missing with a Rubicon vs a Sahara ?

Does the Rubicon hold resale value better?

Now I am wondering if the more rugged look of the Rubicon is worth it and maybe a negative for someone that does 95% of their driving on normal roads and at worst hits some iffy two tracks, back dirt roads, and a snow storm.
Sponsored

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
Trust your instincts and buy the one that speaks to you.

So I looked at the two trim levels and went Sahara because it can do 90+% what the Rubicon can do. All my Sahara lacks are the lockers and swaybar disconnect. You cannot lose choosing either model. They're great Jeeps and can do it all.

My recommendation is this - no matter which one you choose, get the HD towing package and the cold weather package. This will pay off in the long run. I'm guessing by the pricing you posted both will have that. For the Sahara, it gives you HD brakes and the limited slip as well as some nice things you'll appreciate when it's winter. I know I certainly have.

I took my Sahara to Hahn's Peak, Colorado last August. 3 guys and their gear. The Sahara went everywhere we wanted to go without issue. We stayed above 9,000 feet most of the time, peaking at 12,000. We saw plenty of Rubicons on the trails, too. I can't wait to get back to SW Colorado and the Alpine Loop. The Ozarks have been fun, too.

I will say this - my plan is to add the 17 inch Rubicon wheels, replacing my 18 inch Sahara wheels. More choices in tires and more sidewall, too. The Rubicon OEM steel bumper is a must as it is winch ready and can convert to a stubby bumper in quick order.

So in the end, my Sahara will move more towards a Rubicon in the end. I will easily spend the difference between the two Jeeps you specked out. I do appreciate the leather luxury of my Sahara but I never question if it can go anywhere off road. It's my 4th Jeep and the best one yet. If I had it to do over I would be where you are - questioning if the Rubicon would be overkill or not. Not a bad place to be.

Buy the Jeep you want and go have fun...cheers!

tehkayd

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting-Gray
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on your dealer, they may be able to get you into a Rubicon for near that Sahara price pending they have what you want.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
If you are on the verge between the two, I would go with the Rubicon. You say you don't plan to off road and stuff but trust me that usually changes as you get to slowly see what your Jeep is capable of doing with the right parts. I went with the Sahara when they first came out. Fully loaded, but I've put a lot of money in making it more off-road capable and still not done. I even went with rubicon axles. I wish I had the high Rubi fenders and the badass Rubi hood, just to name a few of the perks of the Rubicons. When you are comparing the prices remember those things that you only get on a Rubicon model. For me, the Dana 44s with lockers is enough to convince me.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The extra $3500 is for a taller stance, bigger tires, front and rear lockers, a stronger front axle, a more aggressive gear ratio, a lower geared low range transfer case, rock rails, deleting the silver trim on the grille and bumper, and cool red dashboard trim. If any or all of that is worth $3500 to you get the Rubicon. If not, the Sahara is for you.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
But with the Willy, I can add a one touch suntop, LED Light group, and the convenience group and still come in cheaper. Plus the Willy has its own good looks and is very capable for the type of off roading I would do while grouse hunting up north.

I do like the Rubicon red dash.

My one concern is that a Rubicon may hold its price bit better, but I plan on driving this thing into the ground. Ideally, I keep it in tip top shape, no major accidents, and one day it becomes a second fun car while my daily driver becomes something like a Tesla or e-Mustang.

BTW: This thread is a duplicate I could not delete of one I started at the same time last week. The other post has 5 pages of comments:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2021-wrangler-unlimited-sahara-vs-rubicon.67506/
Sponsored