Sponsored

Wrangler through the years…

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

I think they will continue to cater more to pavement jeeps, as the interior will have stuff like uconnect 5 and the rides will be a bit smoother, but still keeping options for people that will be offroading.
Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
First CJs were the "low hood" Jeeps. They had a flat head engine that wasn't very tall.

The CJ3B was the "high hood" CJ. It had a taller hood to accommodate the "F head" engine where they moved the intake valve up into the head, leaving the exhaust valve in the block.

The CJ4 was a prototype and only like 2 were ever made (or something like that).

The CJ5 was the first "round fender" Jeeps. It was also the first to have a 6 cylinder engine. The Dauntless V6 was a GM engine that Kaiser bought the tooling and designs for. They would later sell it back to GM and it would continue on to be the 3800V6 popular in the 90s.

The CJ5 was stretched to make the first long wheelbase Jeep, the CJ6.

Right after AMC bought out Kaiser Jeep in like 1971, they modified the CJ5 and CJ6. They stretched the nose to make room for the AMC inline 6 (232 and 258) that replaced the Dauntless V6. They also put the AMC 304 V8 into the CJ during that time.

The 1970s saw the axle widths increase as the "wide track" option. This was where they started responding to the complaints of the Jeep having a tendency to roll over in accidents.

1976 saw the much bigger CJ7. They stretched the wheelbase a little (80 to like 92 or 96 inches) and modified the door opening. They made room for a small cargo area behind the rear seat. The nose and cowl are the same, as well as some of the floor pan.

1980 was the last year of the 304 V8 but it also saw the introduction of the long wheel base CJ8 which was a stretched CJ7. Unlike the CJ6 which was just stretched in the middle, the CJ8 had a longer rear overhang as well as a longer wheelbase.

The Wrangler option package name started showing up in the 70's and 80's, along with other packages (renegade, Levi's edition, etc.)

1987 saw the introduction of the first Jeep named Wrangler. The YJ used a CJ7 body tub but a revised dash, wider frame, and altered nose with rectangular headlights. The wider frame and standard "wide track" axles (no more narrow track available) was done to increase stability and be less prone to roll over. The YJ was really the first Jeep to start down the road of having a refined interior, which has evolved every generation since. 1991 saw the introduction of the 4.0 straight 6 that replaced the 258. The 232 was dropped sometime in the 70's.

The 1997 TJ Wrangler gave us coil springs and a return to round headlights. It also gave us more interior comforts. The LJ was the stretched TJ like the CJ6 and CJ8. It had less stretch behind the axle and more in front than the CJ8.

2007 saw the JK, which was the first real ground up redesign of the Jeep rather than an incremental change. The torquey 4.0 was dropped, replaced by a gutless V6. It also introduced the 4 door Jeep which has been overwhelmingly popular. The minivan V6 was replaced by the Pentastar, which is a better engine but still lacks low end torque so it's less appropriate for a Wrangler. The turbo 2.0 also showed up late in the JK life span.

2018 saw the JL. More evolution over the JK, especially in the interior. Engine options continue to change.
The Pentastar is also a minivan engine. It was in the Caravan/T&C.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not really. The Pentastar is considered a “corporate” engine. It was developed to power everything from Chrysler 300s and Dodge Chargers, to Dodge Journeys, minivans, Jeep Wranglers and Grand Cherokees; even Dodge Challengers and Ram pickups.

OP
OP
Mccorm67

Mccorm67

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara
Are there any Storm Commanders driving around in the states?

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
For those who equate an inline 6 with a “real” Jeep, keep this in mind. The first 6 cylinder in a Jeep CJ was the Buick designed Dauntless V6. The inline 6 didn’t come until 1971, when AMC took over.

Then we could get into foreign variants (Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mahindra) and their power plants, but that opens a whole new can of worms.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
IMHO, the last real Jeep is a CJ7. But good luck getting down the road faster than 55 mph, and feeling safe.
I agree, the CJ-7 was the last real Jeep.

Still, I loved my TJs, we didn’t love our JK, and I love my current JL which is unquestionably more capable than the CJs I had in my youth.

The JL has been fully yuppified for the majority of new consumers who need automatics, wear suits and high heels, and sport Gucci accessories. I enjoy some of those comforts in my old age, but I sure miss being able to just hose the Jeep out when it gets dirty. Now the Jeep is much bigger, everything is carpeted and stitched, there are 1000 little crannies for dirt, dust, and water to fill, the accessories are sensitive to water, the engine bay is so packed you can’t find room for anything, the top is harder to remove, and it is priced in the BMW range.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I agree, the CJ-7 was the last real Jeep.

Still, I loved my TJs, we didn’t love our JK, and I love my current JL which is unquestionably more capable than the CJs I had in my youth.

The JL has been fully yuppified for the majority of new consumers who need automatics, wear suits and high heels, and sport Gucci accessories. I enjoy some of those comforts in my old age, but I sure miss being able to just hose the Jeep out when it gets dirty. Now the Jeep is much bigger, everything is carpeted and stitched, there are 1000 little crannies for dirt, dust, and water to fill, the accessories are sensitive to water, the engine bay is so packed you can’t find room for anything, the top is harder to remove, and it is priced in the BMW range.
Looking at TJs for my daughter...I was shocked to see all the space under the hood. What I wouldn't give to have that much room to work on my JL.

Personally, I LOVE the JL. Overall it's leaps and bounds better than anything else that's come along (jeep or otherwise).

However, I dream of building a CJ/TJ. Throttle Down Customs makes a Hybrid frame, that is a CJ from the frame up, and a TJ from the frame down, so it runs a TJ suspension (coils!), axles, etc. I'd go with the Cummins repower, run a 5 speed manual with Dana 44s. Under a CJ body.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I recall a lot of media buzz when the TJ came out. In retrospect it was still just an incremental change but at the time it seemed significant. Then the LJ (TJU) was, for me at least, significant. Loved my LJ.

I remember when the YJ came out and there seemed to be a lot hate for that one. I was a teenager and didn't follow jeep too much then.

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I recall a lot of media buzz when the TJ came out. In retrospect it was still just an incremental change but at the time it seemed significant. Then the LJ (TJU) was, for me at least, significant. Loved my LJ.

I remember when the YJ came out and there seemed to be a lot hate for that one. I was a teenager and didn't follow jeep too much then.
Chrysler bought Jeep and "saved it" then "ruined it" by putting square headlights on it. YJs are fine, but are just dressed up CJs, IMHO.

CJs needed an update. Nothing is static. TJs were a big step forward, and major change.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
If you can reach out and touch it, it's real. Had a 69' CJ5, no A/C, no power steering, no power brakes (four wheel drum to be exact), marginal wipers, Buick V6, Warn Overdrive, 4:88 gears, leaf springs, yeah, "real". Being constipated by the end of the drive, real. Arms being spent after wheeling, real. Legs being sore because four wheel drum brakes are fun wet, real. No top other than bikini, real.

What is real is I'm older now. I real-ly like first world wheeling. While that CJ took me over the Rubicon several times, it isn't nearly as capable as what we have today. I've grown soft. HA!

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
The biggest model change was the JK. Bigger and more defined, moved the Wrangler from a weekend vehice, or a single guy's vehicle to a family daily driver. Then the 4 door sent sales zooming like never before. Today more than 75% of all Wranglers and 4-door.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Is there a specific reason "Wrangler" was the chosen new name after the CJ?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Chrysler bought Jeep and "saved it" then "ruined it" by putting square headlights on it. YJs are fine, but are just dressed up CJs, IMHO.

CJs needed an update. Nothing is static. TJs were a big step forward, and major change.
Square headlights didn't ruin it. Sales jumped with the introduction of the YJ. AMC/Renault did the square headlights BTW. Chrysler didn't buy AMC/Jeep until after the YJ was designed and on the market already.
Sponsored