Wrangler through the years…

Mccorm67

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara
Given the appeal of the Wrangler body style, it’s clear why it’s remained relatively unchanged over the years. But what were the more significant updates it’s received as far as body style? I know one was when Jeep named it Wrangler, and the body was redesigned to address safety concerns. Apart from adding a 4 door version, we’re there any other significant changes to the body style? Or have updates been so incremental as to not be worth noting?
Sponsored

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

I think one of the things we can see in the next refresh, is a more streamlined body, as that is how most vehicles are being made today.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Switched to square headlights (YJ)...switched right back to round (TJ).

Biggest change IMHO, on TJ was the switch to coil springs. Then along came the LJ (The first Unlimited) which was stretched.

Next big change on the JK was 4 doors, the move to a V6, and the move away from a Tub on frame.

These two reasons are the bases of the "TJ is the last REAL Jeep" argument.

OP
OP
Mccorm67

Mccorm67

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara
Ha, that last statement was what I was also wondering, is there an accepted “last real Jeep” in this community. Thanks for the details.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The first Wrangler, the YJ, used a modified CJ7 body. The frame was somewhat new, the suspension geometry was changed and the axles were widened.

The TJ still used a somewhat similar, though further modified tub. The hard doors were still based on the original CJ7 doors. The frames and suspension were all new.

The JK was the first all new Wrangler and it no longer shared any parts with any previous models.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Ha, that last statement was what I was also wondering, is there an accepted “last real Jeep” in this community. Thanks for the details.
That’s a question for long debate.Some will say TJ, CJ7, CJ5 or CJ3B (the last flat fender). As long as there is an open tub, full frame and solid axles, it’s still a real Jeep.

There isn’t a single vehicle left on the market today that would be instantly recognizable if someone were to travel toward in time 80 years. You can easily follow the lineage from generation to generation. The biggest leaps to me were the CJ5 and the JK.

OP
OP
Mccorm67

Mccorm67

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara
“As long as there is an open tub, full frame and solid axles, it’s still a real Jeep”

I’m going to show my naivety, are these 3 details not present in the current Jeeps?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
  1. The original Jeep didn’t have a tailgate. First CJs had a drop-down rear tailgate. It became a swing-open gate later on
  2. WWII Jeeps didn’t have doors or hardtop. They were added as options with CJ
  3. First CJs had the spare mounted on the rear quarter panel
  4. The rear wheel opening was round during WWII and CJ. They became trapezoidal with YJ
  5. YJ’s infamous square headlights. They didn’t last, thankfully
  6. A long wheelbase 2-door was added with TJ, unofficially known as the LJ
  7. The turn signals have alternated between being on the grille and the front fenders
  8. The clean, classic Jeep hood got vents and scoops with JK; design element that continues to this day
Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler through the years… 1642482867167

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler through the years… 1642482748913

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler through the years… 1642481957625

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler through the years… 1642483019287

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler through the years… 1642482954763

Last edited:

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z

Biggest change IMHO, on TJ was the switch to coil springs. Then along came the LJ (The first Unlimited) which was stretched.

Next big change on the JK was 4 doors, the move to a V6, and the move away from a Tub on frame.

It's still a body on frame vehicle BTW. That never changed.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I think one of the things we can see in the next refresh, is a more streamlined body, as that is how most vehicles are being made today.
I hope not. I can't tell one GM SUV from another these days. "Which GM blob is that you got there, Bob?"

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

I agree. Although not a styling change, the introduction of Quadra-Coil suspension with TJ marks the start of the modern Jeep. The all-coil suspension turned Wrangler from a rough riding bronco into a civilized daily driver.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
“As long as there is an open tub, full frame and solid axles, it’s still a real Jeep”

I’m going to show my naivety, are these 3 details not present in the current Jeeps?
Yes, that was my point. They are still “real” Jeeps and that’s why we still buy them. That is the formula that has beat the competition for decades. It’s easy to figure out. Ford finally tried to do their best to copy it, to a degree.

The first long wheelbase Jeep that was widely produced was the CJ6. There were some stretched CJ3Bs, but they are exceedingly rare. Then there was the CJ8/Scrambler that were the CJ6s replacement. There was never a long wheelbase YJ in the US.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
First CJs were the "low hood" Jeeps. They had a flat head engine that wasn't very tall.

The CJ3B was the "high hood" CJ. It had a taller hood to accommodate the "F head" engine where they moved the intake valve up into the head, leaving the exhaust valve in the block.

The CJ4 was a prototype and only like 2 were ever made (or something like that).

The CJ5 was the first "round fender" Jeeps. It was also the first to have a 6 cylinder engine. The Dauntless V6 was a GM engine that Kaiser bought the tooling and designs for. They would later sell it back to GM and it would continue on to be the 3800V6 popular in the 90s.

The CJ5 was stretched to make the first long wheelbase Jeep, the CJ6.

Right after AMC bought out Kaiser Jeep in like 1971, they modified the CJ5 and CJ6. They stretched the nose to make room for the AMC inline 6 (232 and 258) that replaced the Dauntless V6. They also put the AMC 304 V8 into the CJ during that time.

The 1970s saw the axle widths increase as the "wide track" option. This was where they started responding to the complaints of the Jeep having a tendency to roll over in accidents.

1976 saw the much bigger CJ7. They stretched the wheelbase a little (80 to like 92 or 96 inches) and modified the door opening. They made room for a small cargo area behind the rear seat. The nose and cowl are the same, as well as some of the floor pan.

1980 was the last year of the 304 V8 but it also saw the introduction of the long wheel base CJ8 which was a stretched CJ7. Unlike the CJ6 which was just stretched in the middle, the CJ8 had a longer rear overhang as well as a longer wheelbase.

The Wrangler option package name started showing up in the 70's and 80's, along with other packages (renegade, Levi's edition, etc.)

1987 saw the introduction of the first Jeep named Wrangler. The YJ used a CJ7 body tub but a revised dash, wider frame, and altered nose with rectangular headlights. The wider frame and standard "wide track" axles (no more narrow track available) was done to increase stability and be less prone to roll over. The YJ was really the first Jeep to start down the road of having a refined interior, which has evolved every generation since. 1991 saw the introduction of the 4.0 straight 6 that replaced the 258. The 232 was dropped sometime in the 70's.

The 1997 TJ Wrangler gave us coil springs and a return to round headlights. It also gave us more interior comforts. The LJ was the stretched TJ like the CJ6 and CJ8. It had less stretch behind the axle and more in front than the CJ8.

2007 saw the JK, which was the first real ground up redesign of the Jeep rather than an incremental change. The torquey 4.0 was dropped, replaced by a gutless V6. It also introduced the 4 door Jeep which has been overwhelmingly popular. The minivan V6 was replaced by the Pentastar, which is a better engine but still lacks low end torque so it's less appropriate for a Wrangler. The turbo 2.0 also showed up late in the JK life span.

2018 saw the JL. More evolution over the JK, especially in the interior. Engine options continue to change.
Sponsored