Wrangler Starts With No Key

NWGN515

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F Type R
Ok, so my JLR started multiple times today with me not having the key on me. Why?

So the wife and I first drove to the bike store to pick up a couple of things, we were probably there for about a half hour, Jeep was off and I did not realize I didnt have my keys on me. Left the bike store and we got to the trail and I went to lock my glove compartment and center console (no doors, no roof) and I couldnt find my keys in my backpack or anywhere else in the Jeep. I figured oh well, if it started at the bike store maybe itll start when we are done, if not Ill take an uber home and the wife will drive me back to the trail. Well, we biked for about an hour, got back and it started right up. I thought maybe the keys are somewhere in the car and I couldnt find them, but when I got home they were on the kitchen counter.

Why did this happen? For the record Im not sure where my spare key is, I havent searched the house yet, so it is possible it is in the Jeep, but I searched the Jeep pretty thoroughly looking for my normal set of keys so I dont think the spare set is in there. I know some cars will connect to your bluetooth and start if your phone is near you (namely Tesla's do this), but a cursory search of the interwebs does not indicate Jeeps do this. Just a little confused here. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
use your other key and try to lock the doors with the remote. if there is a key in the jeep i dont think it will let you lock your keys in it so it should honk or at least not lock therefor telling you that there is a key in it somewere.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

hmm did you buy the jeep new or used. maybe someone has the spare in a hide a key somewhere on the jeep itself. I'd look around for the spare. if not a trip to the dealer might be in order to get this fixed

OP
OP

NWGN515

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F Type R
use your other key and try to lock the doors with the remote. if there is a key in the jeep i dont think it will let you lock your keys in it so it should honk or at least not lock therefor telling you that there is a key in it somewere.
Oooo, good idea, thank you.

OP
OP

NWGN515

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F Type R
hmm did you buy the jeep new or used. maybe someone has the spare in a hide a key somewhere on the jeep itself. I'd look around for the spare. if not a trip to the dealer might be in order to get this fixed
New, but that would have been a good idea if I had gotten it used.

Sponsored

BigKahuna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon, 2015 Challenger Hellcat
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting, but I would bet dollars to donuts that your spare key is somewhere in the Jeep itself. Not sure if the Jeep will still lock if there is still a key inside. I know my 2012 Dodge Charger (my company car) will lock the doors with the remote in my pocket if I still leave a key inside. Now if I only have 1 key on me and leave it inside and hit the proximity lock, it will NOT lock the car. Not sure if you are equipped with proximity locks but that may be an idea too.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The Jeep will lock from a fob with a fob inside. However IIRC it will unlock itself if you use the door button to lock then close the door - it's thinking you locked your keys in and/or bumped the button accidentally.

But I guess it figures if it's being commanded from a fob outside, you at least have a fob with you

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Someone is majorly trolling the OP. I blame, and congratulate, his wife on the troll ruse. Either that or the Jeep wants to become a runaway vehicle.