Wrangler / Rubicon fitting into the garage question

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Modern building codes require 7' clear for commercial parking garages. I've been in some that have a headache bar at the entrance set at 6'-10" to warn you if you are marginal in height. I've also been in garages that had various pipes and things hanging lower. I took the bike rack off the top of my car one time in such a garage. If you are in a city with a lot of older buildings, they might have received variances from the city to allow them to operate with less than 7' clearance. If you think you are marginal for 7' height then be very careful when entering garages and don't take for granted that everything in there will clear 7'.
Very helpful and good reminder to be more aware once i start driving around. My initial concern is making sure I clear my own garage, which is 78 inches, conservatively. As long as I'm good with that, then hopefully I won't need to worry about where i'm driving.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Thanks man. Absolutely beautiful rig. My wife and I very nearly pulled the trigger on that color, but we selected the Ocean Blue Metallic instead.

and man!!!! Tight fit into the garage!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

sorry but one other question. I’d guess you have a full size spare (40). Yes?

freddiegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Thanks man. Absolutely beautiful rig. My wife and I very nearly pulled the trigger on that color, but we selected the Ocean Blue Metallic instead.

and man!!!! Tight fit into the garage!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

sorry but one other question. I’d guess you have a full size spare (40). Yes?
Yup full size spare mounted on Motobilt’s spare tire reinforcement.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
The other part of note is what you can do when it’s in there. Without the rack, you could fit it (barely). But if you wanted to remove the top- you’d be stuck unless you have a hoist outside the garage.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I just did it by the traditional and well tested methodology. I used a measuring tape and I was able to very quickly discover that the only way I can fit my Jeep under the garage door is to get the stock 17 " JL wheels..Yes , I would like to get the 33 tires but then I would have to park outside and so I am saving money on the tires and I will keep my underground garage shelter available for the Jeep.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
If you want to get at least two more inches or more clearance don't use the electric to open the garage, pull the lever that releases the door and roll it up half way manually it should stay put.

If it wants to roll back down then go to the right top of each door and put a ratchet and socket that fits and with the door closed turn counter clock wise (I think) and crank the tension on that spring a click at a time until it catches itself and repeat procedure until door stays where you want it.
- a garage door installer told me that if they know the doors will be powered, they don't waste any time adjusting this feature.

I take my LONG WHIP when I travel in the Jeep( that mast will pick up a crap load of more free stations than my 6" antenna and unfamiliar parking garages.) but I leave my 6" on pulling into MY garage knowing I push to open close, release latch, manual roll up and it stays put.

Helped a another Jeep owner who put a huge lift on in his garage and could not figure how to get it out.
-We aired down real low and went manual mode on the door and it it hardly made it with just enough room.

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
This is me with a stock Jeep and 8 foot ceiling. Although it seems the electric door opener is my lowest point, there’s still decent height.
My issue is front to back. I have to fold my front door mirror in to close the garage door. Thanks to TLP for that narrow cart or I’d have to reinstall the doors every day.

12A40575-3F81-4B2C-BEFD-80528C24DB93.jpeg

Sponsored

freddiegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you want to get at least two more inches or more clearance don't use the electric to open the garage, pull the lever that releases the door and roll it up half way manually it should stay put.

If it wants to roll back down then go to the right top of each door and put a ratchet and socket that fits and with the door closed turn counter clock wise (I think) and crank the tension on that spring a click at a time until it catches itself and repeat procedure until door stays where you want it.
- a garage door installer told me that if they know the doors will be powered, they don't waste any time adjusting this feature.

I take my LONG WHIP when I travel in the Jeep( that mast will pick up a crap load of more free stations than my 6" antenna and unfamiliar parking garages.) but I leave my 6" on pulling into MY garage knowing I push to open close, release latch, manual roll up and it stays put.

Helped a another Jeep owner who put a huge lift on in his garage and could not figure how to get it out.
-We aired down real low and went manual mode on the door and it it hardly made it with just enough room.
Thats a good idea. It works for me just the way it is and still have plenty of room once im in to pull the top off or jack the jeep up to work on it.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! It started as a inside joke and kinda stuck.
That’s funny. I’m adding a Rubi hood and like the lettering and struggling with what to put on. Trying to keep simple. Anyway - totally get how it stuck with all the Mods you’ve done to Sport model. Nice rig. Looks great...

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I have 2" lift and 35, a loaded roofrack, I can still somehow fit into my 7 ft garage and spare 1 inch. You need to adjust the door limit stop on your garage door opener to make it open the full 7 ft, a lot of garage door opener installers left that low so the door can open faster.

Just keep in mind, every lift and tire is different. Lifts don't always net how high they advertised, tires are often smaller than what is written on the sidewall.

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have 2" lift and 35, a loaded roofrack, I can still somehow fit into my 7 ft garage and spare 1 inch. You need to adjust the door limit stop on your garage door opener to make it open the full 7 ft, a lot of garage door opener installers left that low so the door can open faster.

Just keep in mind, every lift and tire is different. Lifts don't always net how high they advertised, tires are often smaller than what is written on the sidewall.
helpful, thank you. As you and I think someone else mentioned, i do notice my garage door still "hangs down" a little when fully open. So i'll take a closer look if my door has the capability to pull all the way back.

I have confirmed rubicon in stock form will be fine. I just know at the very least I may want to go 35's someday, lol.
Sponsored