Wrangler One Touch Power Top Cross Wind Noise

BTypeFun

First Name
Tera
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have only had my Wrangler for two weeks and had the Power Top open most of the time, but the two times that I have had it closed, the cross wind noise is terrible. It sounds like a telegraph is being sent from each corner at the front of the top. I took it in to a dealer (not the one I purchased from) and they acknowledged the sound, even said it was really annoying, but said there was nothing they could do about it and I should just wear headphones when I have to drive across Kansas to Colorado this week. I am taking it to the dealer I bought from later this week, but hoping for any suggestions of things they should look for.
Sponsored

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just took delivery of my Sahara a few days ago. Had the chance to drive south to San Antonio and heard that telegraph noise you describe but only a couple times and then it was fairly quiet. I drive about 65 mph and don't usually put my foot in to it. Nor was it a windy day. Let us know what your dealer says. I've been thinking about starting a thread on the one-touch sky roof to see what others say about theirs.

OP
OP

BTypeFun

First Name
Tera
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So far, they have zero answers. They have a call in to a Jeep rep asking for next steps, but it has been two days and no response from that person. Still in waiting mode and I guess I get to listen to a telegraph for 10 hours tomorrow driving across Kansas and Colorado.

stormyless

First Name
monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sahara 2020
Just took delivery of my Sahara a few days ago. Had the chance to drive south to San Antonio and heard that telegraph noise you describe but only a couple times and then it was fairly quiet. I drive about 65 mph and don't usually put my foot in to it. Nor was it a windy day. Let us know what your dealer says. I've been thinking about starting a thread on the one-touch sky roof to see what others say about theirs.
I have the same thing happening and they also say there is no fix. we listened to the telegraph noise all the way from Florida to Tennessee. Help! I purchased this jeep three weeks ago and it is still in the shop for this reason and the steering(they are putting new steering box in this week). It is brand new

OP
OP

BTypeFun

First Name
Tera
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has taken an insane amount of fighting, but I think I have an answer. It actually isn’t the power soft top, but the windshield. The seal is folded over just a little bit and that is what is catching air. I also dug some film out that looks like it was probably leftover during manufacturing which helped reduce the noise some, but not eliminate it. Just waiting for a new windshield to come in to the dealership now.

I will say I was extremely disappointed in Jeep service. I went to two dealers, the one I bought from and the one closest to me. Both said they heard it, and had no idea how to fix it. One just recommended wearing headphones so I couldn’t hear it. I finally filled out a survey that Jeep sent me and got a call back from Jeep corporate. They tried to organize me going back to the dealership closest to me, but they refused saying they already saw me and it is just regular wind noise. Thankfully Jeep corporate kept on it and I went to a third dealer. The service tech drove it for ten minutes and came back and pointed out exactly where the flaw in the windshield seal was. Needless to say, they will be my service department from now on.

Sponsored

Data23

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 3.6L
I was having the same issue after installing the KC 50" Lightbar Pro6 and driving the jeep at 45 MPH and over. The lights were causing a disturbance in the force.... actually... a disruption in the aerodynamics on the top of the roof. The solution cost me only $10 bucks. The issue is that the sky one-touch fabric is mounted into the cross-members by only a small portion of the actual width of the cross-member; when wind flows over the top of the jeep, the fabric vibrates due to the similar effect of an airplane wing suctioning upwards; this is what is causing the "Telegraph like" noise. I've installed a foam weatherstrip between the cross-member and the fabric in the first cross-member of the jeep (the one above your forehead). The results were noticeable, and the "telegraph" noise went away event at 70+ MPH. The vibration of the fabric is dampened by the weatherstrip. You can add two strips if needed, and the weatherstrip won't be noticeable at all.

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2021
I have only had my Wrangler for two weeks and had the Power Top open most of the time, but the two times that I have had it closed, the cross wind noise is terrible. It sounds like a telegraph is being sent from each corner at the front of the top. I took it in to a dealer (not the one I purchased from) and they acknowledged the sound, even said it was really annoying, but said there was nothing they could do about it and I should just wear headphones when I have to drive across Kansas to Colorado this week. I am taking it to the dealer I bought from later this week, but hoping for any suggestions of things they should look for.
Here’s my eXperience at 75mph plus. Seems not enough tension holding the roof down. It lifts on both sides. Behind trucks or cross winds make it more noticeable. Below 65mph no issues.

3D8702D9-7B9C-49F6-872A-0F1FCFCC6248.jpeg

Attachments

Hollymav

First Name
Mav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I was having the same issue after installing the KC 50" Lightbar Pro6 and driving the jeep at 45 MPH and over. The lights were causing a disturbance in the force.... actually... a disruption in the aerodynamics on the top of the roof. The solution cost me only $10 bucks. The issue is that the sky one-touch fabric is mounted into the cross-members by only a small portion of the actual width of the cross-member; when wind flows over the top of the jeep, the fabric vibrates due to the similar effect of an airplane wing suctioning upwards; this is what is causing the "Telegraph like" noise. I've installed a foam weatherstrip between the cross-member and the fabric in the first cross-member of the jeep (the one above your forehead). The results were noticeable, and the "telegraph" noise went away event at 70+ MPH. The vibration of the fabric is dampened by the weatherstrip. You can add two strips if needed, and the weatherstrip won't be noticeable at all.
Hey there. Been hunting for a solution. I too have the KC 50" Pro6 and SkyOne touch. Cannot figure a way to stop the fabric from jumping/vibrating. Can you elaborate on what you did? What you bought? Any pics? Would love to fix this thing!

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
1400 miles so far and I have never experienced this. The Sky One Touch has been a rather "solid" roof for me.

However, I do get a fiberglass creaking sound from the roof in some conditions, usually when making a turn or in some rough conditions that cause flexing.

Hollymav

First Name
Mav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Hey everyone. Same issues here. 2019 Rubi. It was so bad the dealer was convinced it was a bad Sky One Touch and replaced it under warranty. But no luck, same issue afterwards. It’s definitely the KCs. Praying someone figures out a solution.
Sponsored