Wrangler leasing experience

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I ended up leasing my 80th Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. In my situation, I chose to lease because I am starting a new business this year. My plan is buy the lease out the end unless I have issues with this one. In my lease choice, I made decisions that didn't result in the lowest payment, but lowest price payment + buyout. I usually don't lease, the only car I leased was for my e-wife when her old car was totaled just few weeks before our wedding.

I ordered my 80th relatively loaded with options. One thing I ran into is MRM, Maximum Residualizing MSRP. This essentially caps the residual value. I ended up with $2k over MRM price. I had no idea about this and the dealer didn't realize I was going to run into this, so the lease numbers changed yesterday when my I was picking up my Jeep. So normally on lease you only pay the portion (depreciation) of the vehicle you are using. In my case, the residual was ~70%. Without the MRM, I would normally be only paying for $600 of the $2000. For my vehicle, I had to pay for the full depreciation cost $2000 ($600 + $1400) above the MRM, so it added $40 month to my monthly payment for $1400 being added to the depreciation. If I buy the lease out it doesn't really affect my total purchase price, but for those who regularly lease you may want to be aware of the MRM. Good thing I didn't load up on accessories or add dual doors.

I did some research on this to make sure the dealer was telling me the truth. I found the Chrysler Capital leasing guide, this one list the residual values, adders and the MRM for March 2021. I thought this has some good information in it.

https://training.chryslercapital.co...30_CSV-CCAP_Residual_Value_Lease_Guide-12.pdf
Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I leased my Wrangler too. To be honest, the residual on Wranglers is going to be high. Payments will be low, but buyout will be pretty high. Due to the 30%. For a lease, if you are within mileage and wear. Either you're going to be upside down or right side up at the end of the lease. If it's upside down and you are within damage / wear. It doesn't make sense to buy unless you don't want the risk of buying another used one for less. If you have a good amount of positive equity on trade in and private party value. I would buyout and sell if the buyout fee is pretty low. Or I would just keep it. I haven't decided if I'm keeping mine. Three people have hit my Jeep on the front and rear bumpers, non stop recalls, warranty claims, and corrosion destroying the paint. I am glad I leased even if the money factor was a little high. I avoided paying the taxes upfront and have the option to let the dealer pass it off to someone else. Jeep needs to rethink their business strategies and build higher quality products.

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
My first Wrangler which I ordered in April 2014 was a lease and I bought it when the lease ended. I had planned on buying it anyway. I remember the residual was around $21k.
Sponsored