Sponsored

Wrangler JL Wind Noise

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Drive slower, the faster you drive the louder it is and or turn up the radio, after switching to MT's and driving without doors and a roof I don't mind even notice wind noise any more.
Sponsored

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
The wind noise does have a few benefits;

Mechanical issues of the Jeep can be masked allowing for more smiling while driving. At least until the issue gets louder than the wind noise.

You can't argue with your significant other very well because it's hard to hear each other yelling if the jeep wind noise is loud.

It's hard to forget you're driving a Wrangler as the wind roar is a constant reminder. And that, to me, is a good thing.

xsaltlifex

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 black on black 6 spd 2 door
I had the same concerns when I bought mine! I got tired of obsessing over it so I just keep the top down and drive it that way and problem solved! You will never make it quiet! And this is my 3rd.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Don't just immediately accept it as a Jeep thing by what others say. First check the easy stuff. Make sure the freedom panels are locked down correctly. Maybe even remove them and check to see if there is an issue with the freedom panel seals. My 2019 JLUR hardtop had a defective seal. Check door seals too. Poor door alignment and or seals occur in any vehicle. My 2016 JKU had a lot of wind noise on the front passenger door seal area. I moved the top hinge of that door in and it instantly improved.

Do your own investigation/trouble-shooting and maybe you'll find something.

Sponsored

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

I know what you mean, I guess it's the brick-like aerodynamics. Cruise at 65mph is pretty easy, above I find it makes for a kind of natural speed governor. No tickets for me....

T_square

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Bull-bars and lightbars destroy your aerodynamic profile (if you even had one to begin with) and throw off the airflow before it even hits the hood or windshield. That turbulent air makes way more noise as it passes over top of you than a laminar flow. That’s chump change compared to the fact that you have a near vertical windshield, and lots of drag behind you from the 90° drop the the back end.

Taking off the Amazon bumper might help with the noise a little. It’s pretty much a cosmetic upgrade without a winch, plus you could put a winch and recovery rings on the factory bumper anyway. Is the “rugged” look of a big steel bumper really worth it for the worse weight and aero? You can also get insulating pads for your headliner that help with the noise, but my suggestion is that you just accept it as a part of owning a brick on wheels. That or just go doorless and topless 24/7. Embrace the wind! \m/

Last edited:

Sponsored

huberro2

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2019
Occupation
Engineer
Summer time !! Had the doors off. Hmmm, didn't notice any wind noise leaks. I guess problem solved.

shoregrrrl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Maybe the wind resistance would lessen if you detach the dog from the bumper before driving 100km/h. Just a thought. 😹

RubiXplr

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Assuming there’s no leaking gasket and your roof panels are properly installed, unfortunately all the previous comments are accurate in saying that there’s not much you can do. My JLUR spent 2 weeks at the dealer recently to fix a problem that, looking back, likely didn’t exist. They replaced a few gaskets and stated that my windshield was not properly sealed. They replaced my windshield as well. The wind noise may have improved; hard to tell.
I have the dual top group and can’t wait to switch to my soft top. My opinion is that with the soft top on I notice less wind noise but more road noise.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
My wind noise is fine until I take the freedom panels off. Then I hear a loud plastic flapping noise behind my head. I haven't had a chance to take the rear top off (it takes a helper or a hoist, and I ain't got neither), but I suspect there's some kind of shipping film or something up there.
Sponsored