TrendyGuy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Hello all,

Sorry if this is not the right section for this I wasn't sure.

I am looking to get a snow plow for my JL Unlimited for the coming winter. I was wondering if anyone knew of a compatible model?

I have seen the Meyer HomePlow which requires a front receiving hitch but did not see any for the JL. I am also hoping to do the install myself.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

I am looking to get a snow plow for my JL Unlimited for the coming winter. I was wondering if anyone knew of a compatible model?

I have seen the Meyer HomePlow which requires a front receiving hitch but did not see any for the JL. I am also hoping to do the install myself.

Thanks!
For personal use or to chase some bad weather blood money?

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Hello all,

Thanks!
The Meyer looks good like you said. It seems like it comes with a hitch: https://www.snowplowsdirect.com/mey...UFLnzYnEcpV66fTXMq2Hs5X8bdbdpJVRoCINQQAvD_BwE

Couple of questions:

1. Do you have AUX switches installed in the Jeep?

2. Do you have an LSD in the Jeep? LSD will be helpful but probably not required.

3. What engine and submodel you have? I think this can be one of the times where a Pentastar will do a better job than the Turbo 4 as it is less complicated and may have fewer moving parts. A naturally aspirated petrol engine is more suited for grunt work like this versus a turbo as the load may require turbo to stay spooled for a while; compromising long term reliability. This is however just my opinion. Others may disagree with a very valid argument as well.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Personal use for my own driveway. Won't be doing anything commercially with it.
Unless your driveway is a mile long and as smooth as a billiards table, I'd personally go with a snowblower. You could get a higher quality commercial grade unit for less than the cost of a snow plow and its peripheral parts.

A push blade on a light framed vehicle gets overwhelmed by not much snow build up. And thats referring to having the blade straight on for maximum push. With the blade at an angle, it won't take much for the whole vehicle to be pushed to the side. You'd have to make passes after every inch or so of snowfall. I've been doing emergency snow removal for over 30 years, since 8 years old. The guys in the 7-12k lb pickups with push plows get overwhelmed very quickly. That's when we step in with the payloaders and skid steers. Also, any impacts could start bending that light frame.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TrendyGuy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Unless your driveway is a mile long and as smooth as a billiards table, I'd personally go with a snowblower. You could get a higher quality commercial grade unit for less than the cost of a snow plow and its peripheral parts.

A push blade on a light framed vehicle gets overwhelmed by not much snow build up. And thats referring to having the blade straight on for maximum push. With the blade at an angle, it won't take much for the whole vehicle to be pushed to the side. You'd have to make passes after every inch or so of snowfall. I've been doing emergency snow removal for over 30 years, since 8 years old. The guys in the 7-12k lb pickups with push plows get overwhelmed very quickly. That's when we step in with the payloaders and skid steers. Also, any impacts could start bending that light frame.
Thanks for your reply.

I have a fairly large snow blower, around 30 or 32 in. can't remember, but recently purchased a home with a long driveway and circular driveway. I feel this will take forever with a snow blower and a plow would be my next step.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your reply.

I have a fairly large snow blower, around 30 or 32 in. can't remember, but recently purchased a home with a long driveway and circular driveway. I feel this will take forever with a snow blower and a plow would be my next step.
Just giving an honest heads up. When not making extra snow money, I've spent those same years making a lot of repair money on the damage that's inevitable, when it comes to push plows.

If it were me, I'd sell the unit you have now, and put the proceeds towards a larger one. The time spent will even out, whether your pushing every inch or so as it comes or all at once with a highly capable machine.

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
I had a Boss plow on my 2016 JK. The Boss plow worked perfectly and was super easy to install and remove. I also used it just for my own driveway. With the plow I actually enjoyed cleaning the driveway. Hated snowblowing.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Unless your driveway is a mile long and as smooth as a billiards table, I'd personally go with a snowblower.
I just had an offer accepted on a property with a 290ft driveway, and I imagined that would take an unreasonably long time to clear with a walk behind snowblower. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what my best option is right now. I'm thinking maybe a 20 year old pickup with a plow, or a small tractor with a snow blower attachment.

However, maybe a 30" walk behind unit would not be too bad.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

TrendyGuy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Just giving an honest heads up. When not making extra snow money, I've spent those same years making a lot of repair money on the damage that's inevitable, when it comes to push plows.

If it were me, I'd sell the unit you have now, and put the proceeds towards a larger one. The time spent will even out, whether your pushing every inch or so as it comes or all at once with a highly capable machine.
Thank you I appreciate your advice!

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I used to have a snow plow on my 660 4x4 Yamaha grizzly. I plowed the parking lot near me. On thing to remember, the initial pass with the plow is easy. The snow compacts in front of the plow and gets really dense. Every time you have to push plowed snow it gets more difficult. This is why I now have a 3 stage tracked snow blower.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Every time you have to push plowed snow it gets more difficult. This is why I now have a 3 stage tracked snow blower.
On some properties you really have to be mindful of where you build your snowbanks. Once you set where they are, it's not an option to move them without large equipment. If it keeps snowing and snowing, you can run out of room to push the snow to.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I currently plow my 400 ft fairly steep (13% grade at the steepest part per the inclinomteter on the Jeep) driveway with a Polaris 500 ATV. Every winter I think I would be much happier if I was in my Jeep with heat. I'm assuming if my ATV can handle it, my Jeep can and there shouldn't be much difference in my technique. However, I've never plowed in anything aside from my ATV. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I purchase a Jeep plow. Any thoughts?
Sponsored