Wrangler JL plug in hybrid release date

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
My dream would be full sized gladiator with either hybrid or full electric. Really want a pickup or the wrangler but if I decide to go pickup I want something more the size of a ram. May just have to go f150 electric, see if they actually do a better job at design.
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I don't know how popular the Bejing Show will be this year?
Given that they postponed it, 2 weeks ago, and haven't yet announced a new date I'm guessing not very popular.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Anvil
I'm not holding out hope for any of the 3 listed auto-shows necessarily being the unveil point and at this point, if it isn't a part of EJS then I'll expect it online by June.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
According to the YouTube guys TFL seems like Geneva show did happen and no mention of any wranglers

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Given that the plant is now shut for a couple of weeks and then will need to play catch-up on building petrol-Jeeps, I would think that this vehicle launch will be delayed.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Or they can move the date up because they can go in and do any mods on the line to accomodate now that the plant is shut down for production, sure demand and sales are dropping like a rock.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
From this Facebook group JEEP Wrangler 4XE Fans, here's some info out of Australia: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/jeep-wrangler-phev-first-official-specs-and-details/ It lists a 13.6 kWh with a 50 km (31 mile) rated electric range with the 2.0L turbo four. Torque is projected to be close to the diesel here in the US... at near zero rpm.

Also interesting is that is what's offered in the Wrangler PHEV is also powertrain option for the upcoming PHEV Grand Cherokee.

Thank you for posting great content.. this confirms my gut.. this another EPA mandate design, nothing real... what hell can you do with 13 KW FCA! not much.. oh wait... but go can go 0-60 in 6sec... what they did not say is you can do that once.. maybe twice, then your out of juice... Come on FCA.. I get 4X that from my solar panels.. 31 mile range or one rock. arg...

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
From this Facebook group JEEP Wrangler 4XE Fans, here's some info out of Australia: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/jeep-wrangler-phev-first-official-specs-and-details/ It lists a 13.6 kWh with a 50 km (31 mile) rated electric range with the 2.0L turbo four. Torque is projected to be close to the diesel here in the US... at near zero rpm.

Also interesting is that is what's offered in the Wrangler PHEV is also powertrain option for the upcoming PHEV Grand Cherokee.
What is interesting here is if FCA is doing something like Mini......

Mini has a 30-ish mile battery too. The problem with that, among others, is that the battery is big and takes space. That space means that the fuel tank got smaller....... so, overall range went down as I recall.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
Thank you for posting great content.. this confirms my gut.. this another EPA mandate design, nothing real... what hell can you do with 13 KW FCA! not much.. oh wait... but go can go 0-60 in 6sec... what they did not say is you can do that once.. maybe twice, then your out of juice... Come on FCA.. I get 4X that from my solar panels.. 31 mile range or one rock. arg...
They could put in more battery capacity but that would impact space AND it would cause the price to rise significantly.

More battery capacity would also add weight and adding weight puts you on a really slippery slope. Add 1000 pounds of batteries and their associated temp management gear and now you need bigger brakes and different springs. Maybe suspension and steering components also need to be upgraded...

There is no reason to put $10,000 of batteries in the Wrangler when $2,500 in batteries will last long enough for most Americans' commutes. This isn't supposed to be an electric Wrangler, it is a hybrid and 13KW is pretty reasonable for that task.

Sponsored

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
I am curious as to how big of a battery will be in the Wrangler (plug-in) hybrid. The upcoming RAV4 PHEV ("RAV4 Prime") has a battery of 17.8 kWh and a stated range of 39 miles. Granted the aero and weight of a Wrangler and RAV4 are quite different...

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
I feel like Im over this now, the idea of a Mojave Wrangler is very appealing to me.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
Because I want one already haha, and knowing Jeep you probably won’t be able to get the mojave with the phev right away and I’m not waiting however many more years for it to become an option.
Sponsored