Wrangler JL plug in hybrid release date

1. pantheman75

pantheman75 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Ford Mustang, 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
    Liked:
    I keep seeing that the Wrangler JL's plug in hybrid system comes out in "2020". Is that MODEL YEAR 2020 (so during the year 2019)... or during the year 2020 (so model year 2021)?

2. Lurvis33

Lurvis33 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Luke
    Vehicle(s):
    ‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    My guess is Winter/Spring of 2020.

3. Karl_in_Chicago

Karl_in_Chicago Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Karl
    Vehicle(s):
    Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
    Liked:
    I'm assuming MY 2020 in the same way I'm assuming turbodiesel and BSG Pentastar are MY 2019. That said don't be surprised if the PHD isn't shipping until actual 2020.

4. scramboleer

scramboleer Well-Known Member

Liked:
    Here’s my guess:

1. JL, shown at November 2017 Auto Show, available Decemer 2017 as 2018 Model Year
    2. Scrambler, to be shown at November 2018 Auto show, available December 2018 as 2019 Model Year.
    3. Plug-in hybrid JL, to be shown November 2019 at LA Auto show avaukable Decemver 2019 as 2020 Model Year.

Grain of salt. I’m just a random guy on the interwebs.

TopDown2020 likes this.
  5. Shooting or Jeeping

Shooting or Jeeping Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
    Liked:
    Based on the change in EPA regulations and the issues that they had with the turbo- I wouldnt at all be surprised if that hybrid suddenly becomes more of a myth than a reality. Prior to this year, the Wrangler remained fairly unchanged for 6 years. I don’t see them adding the Scrambler, a turbo, a diesel, and a hybrid in the span of 2 years. And if you really think about it- is the Wrangler really that vehicle that has been missing a plug in option?

6. scramboleer

Liked:
    Well, as much as I love my Willys Wagon and Scrambler, I think a plug-in Wrangler with a big electric motor, a decent amount of fully covered electric driving range, and then a gas back-up would be sweet. Can’t beat that instant electric torque, especially off-road. The system in the Pacifica “Hybrid” works out to 33 electric miles and the 300 miles of gas-hybrid, so they already have a system.

Also, no matter what happens with the fallout between EPA and CARB, it’s not going to happen anytime soon. It will be tied up in the courts for years. Also California and the 12 or so states win similar air quality laws make up about 40% of the US car market. If there are two standards in the US, then the car companies can either make two versions of the same car for the US (ala the 49-state version from the 1980s) or make all of their cars hit the higher standards.

Also, since most automakers are global in nature, it doesn’t make sense for them to back off in the US only to get trounced in Asia and Europe (where there might be tougher standards).

7. scramboleer

Liked:
    No specs on electric range, but Automotive News confirmed a 2020 plug-in hybrid Wrangler today. Hopefully we'll see it at the LA Auto Show in November.

TopDown2020 likes this.
  8. DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    George
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
    Liked:
    Doc... Duh.
    Thanks for the info. Seems like information and interest on this engine setup is just dead. They need to generate some excitement with some specs and updates.

scramboleer likes this.
  9. four low

four low Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL
    Liked:
    I hope to see the Plug In soon, the fact that diesels are being banned by 2030 in major European cities, and that diesel emissions "cheating " is still unfolding, should give a push to the torque and range interest in electric off road vehicles.

scramboleer likes this.
  10. scramboleer

Liked:
    Yeah, or perhaps FCA hasn't started marketing yet. Maybe saving it for late fall? It seems like the recent marketing push has been all about the diesel for the 2020 Wrangler and Gladiator. Maybe they want to space out the timing of the marketing campaigns for the two. Or something else.

11. BearJewJonny

BearJewJonny Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JlU Sahara
    Liked:
    Yea I wish they’d release something, anything.

@JlEngineline

scramboleer likes this.
  12. DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    George
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
    Liked:
    Doc... Duh.
    Im pretty ready to pull the trigger on one. It would be nice to get some info on the hybrid. Since they aren’t even doing the BSG on rubicons anymore I’m not sure if the hybrid will be a Sahara only. I want a rubicon.

Knowing anything at this point would be lovely but if this section of the forum is any indication no one is interested.

scramboleer likes this.
  13. JandS

JandS Member

Vehicle(s):
    12JKUR (crush6spd)|08 Exige S|06 V70R|12 V-Wagon
    Liked:
    I suspect the lack of announcements is due to difficulties with implementation.

If they're using the same basic drivetrain setup that has been successful in the Pacifica, then I suspect the issues are due to problems with making it off road suitable. Since water and batteries don't play nice together....but batteries need to be able to dissipate heat and vent...this would seem to be a not insignificant task.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter how much consumer interest there is - FCA as a company needs to make their cars more efficient so they stop spending billions on credits from Tesla. That is why they went "soft hybrid" (24 Volt battery, starter assist) on all 2020 Wranglers and in so many other vehicles. Consumers weren't demanding it, they needed to goose the mpgs.

four low likes this.
  14. BearJewJonny

BearJewJonny Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JlU Sahara
    Liked:
    Anyone here anything if there’s gonna be a reveal at the upcoming la auto show?

15. scramboleer

Liked:
    My guess is a Wrangler PHEV reveal at the LA Auto Show next month and a Gladiator PHEV reveal at the New York Auto Show in April 2020, but that’s pure speculation.