Redbrock

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Overland
Hi
This is my first thread so please excuse me if I may of placed it in the wrong section.
I live in a very Mountainous BY UK standards part of the UK.
I was always a Land Rover person until faced with a a bill of $2500.00 for a new clutch on a 3 month old 1800 mile Land rover which the dealer said was wear and tear and not covered by warranty when I had driven 100,000 plus miles in my previous Defenders on a single clutch without issue.
I currently now have a 2020 2 door Wrangler Overland Diesel fitted with the 2.2 litre diesel engine and 8 speed auto box as fitted I believe in the Alpha Romeo Giulia. Having always toyed with the idea of a Wrangler over the years but it was always put on the back burner due to high fuel prices in the UK. Coupled with the low MPG of the available Wranglers at the time it was not practical as my one and only vehicle.
I finally on retiring was in a position to take the plunge and that said purchased one early in 2020.
To date it has been reliable and on long motorway journeys I have managed 40MPG (UK Gallon) Which I think equates to about 33/34MPG (US Gallon) which with the price of fuel being approx. $6.8 dollars a US gallon in the UK is acceptable.
I absolutely love the Wrangler which meets all my daily needs. We are planning a long one off trip touring Iceland, Norway, Sweden & Finland Once we get over this Pandemic ( Fingers crossed hopefully in 2022)
Now to my question on a problem which I believe other JL owners may also be encountering.
From time to time the lines disappear on the reversing screen then after a day or two return.
The Radio also suffers from loss of sound which also applies to the Cell phone hand free again it then returns some time later.
Finally the reversing alarm when drive is selected after reversing sometimes stays on which is a nuisance. then again it stops the next time the Wrangler is used and everything is back to normal Can anyone shed some light on the causes of the above.
Finally my better half is vertically challenged and finds getting in and out of the wrangler a bit of a climb.
Does anyone know of any (removeable for off roading) drop down steps on the market that might help.
Thanks
Joe
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

First thing I’d do is check the auxiliary battery. My Sahara, as we call Overlands in N.A., was showing all sorts of mysterious electrical issues. For instance, the backup lines would disappear and reappear next time I was in the Jeep. The speakers went dead one time, only to return next day. Two or three times the Selec-Trac would slip out of 4A and into 4H upon backing up. Sometimes I’d get the CEL, others the ESS unavailable light, the TPMS light, sometimes I’d get no lights. Etc. Etc.

I replaced both batteries and all the issues went away.

Separately, the rear right backup sensor started beeping last week while backing up; I knew there was nothing back there. A simple wipe of the sensor cover with my thumb removed dirt or debris that was causing the system to beep.

Good luck.

PS - Make sure to get a snorkel before you drive to Iceland... :LOL:

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
Have you checked your fuse box?
It's a well known issue with wranglers leaving the factory with fuses and relays not fully depressed.
If you've not done the check, that would be my first port of call.
Sorted out a number of gremlins for me!

wren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
First thing I’d do is check the auxiliary battery.
My 2018 Sahara left my daughter and I sitting in an intersection about a month ago. Turned out that the ESS battery had died, and then the main battery. Looking back there were a ton of signs something was wrong that I should have looked into, like ESS not ever activating and a warning that the AUX switches were temporarily disabled. Is something electrical is wrong I will definitely start there next time.

OP
OP

Redbrock

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Overland
Welcome to the forum!

First thing I’d do is check the auxiliary battery. My Sahara, as we call Overlands in N.A., was showing all sorts of mysterious electrical issues. For instance, the backup lines would disappear and reappear next time I was in the Jeep. The speakers went dead one time, only to return next day. Two or three times the Selec-Trac would slip out of 4A and into 4H upon backing up. Sometimes I’d get the CEL, others the ESS unavailable light, the TPMS light, sometimes I’d get no lights. Etc. Etc.

I replaced both batteries and all the issues went away.

Separately, the rear right backup sensor started beeping last week while backing up; I knew there was nothing back there. A simple wipe of the sensor cover with my thumb removed dirt or debris that was causing the system to beep.

Good luck.

PS - Make sure to get a snorkel before you drive to Iceland... :LOL:
Thanks for your advice I will certainly check out the auxillery battery which is 18 months old.
With our lockdown its not been getting a lot of use over the last few months and thinking about it the Auto stop start stopped working until a long journey last week. when it started to work once more so low battery charge may well be the problem
Thanks again for you help
Joe
My 2018 Sahara left my daughter and I sitting in an intersection about a month ago. Turned out that the ESS battery had died, and then the main battery. Looking back there were a ton of signs something was wrong that I should have looked into, like ESS not ever activating and a warning that the AUX switches were temporarily disabled. Is something electrical is wrong I will definitely start there next time.
Thanks for the advice I intend to get the auxillery battery checked out ASAP as it could well be the issue
Thanks again
Joe

OP
OP

Redbrock

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Overland
Have you checked your fuse box?
It's a well known issue with wranglers leaving the factory with fuses and relays not fully depressed.
If you've not done the check, that would be my first port of call.
Sorted out a number of gremlins for me!
Thanks for the advice I will check these 1st thing tomorrow.
Sponsored