Wrangler JL Diesel High Altitude testing sighting

BigDz

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mercedes ML350 BluTec
Hi. I am new to this forum, but I had some really cool sightings of the new JL. I live in Frisco, CO @9100 ft. There is always some manufacturer doing high altitude / high demand testing up here. We have the continental divide right here and there are various mules dressed in Camouflage running up and down the pass on I70. Well, Tuesday, I was entering I70 and just about to drive over the pass towards Denver. Low and behold, a JL mule turns in front of me and heads up the ramp onto I70. I am driving a Mercedes ML350 BluTec diesel myself mind you. Now normally, a wrangler can barely breathe up here and is in the right lane struggling to make it up the pass. It is ~7 miles of 6% grade on the eastbound side. Most vehicles (normally aspirated) really struggle. So anyways, this JL took the ramp like a rocket. I literally had to floor my turbo diesel ML (400+ ft/lbs of torque mind you). It just kept pushing up the hill in the left lane without running out of breathe like most normally aspirated vehicles do. I am serious, this thing went in the left lane and was flying up the hill. I did smell a bit of NOx so I am fairly confident it was a diesel. There is the possibility it was the turbo 4. But, I don't think it would have been that fast. The engineer had a laptop that he was playing with so there was some fine tuning he was surely doing. All I can say is that there is a new powertrain coming in the JL that we all will be very very excited about. I am now seriously going to consider one. As a side note, there seem to be 6+ or so mules up here running around. They are going up and down I70 at the Eisenhower tunnels (11,000 ft. asl) and over Loveland pass ~13,000ft. asl. Some are in packs probably recording performance. Others are towing trailers with skids of weight added up and down the divide. But, I was really excited to observe the high performance of the new turbo powertrain, be it gas or diesel. Party on brothers, it's coming and I'm excited
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah!

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Can't stop giggling at that GIF

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm perfectly content with my JK. I've got it modded the way I want and other than a bad oil pressure sensor switch, it has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. However, I'd easily trade it in for a diesel Wrangler.

giphy.gif

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Hi. I am new to this forum, but I had some really cool sightings of the new JL. I live in Frisco, CO @9100 ft. There is always some manufacturer doing high altitude / high demand testing up here. We have the continental divide right here and there are various mules dressed in Camouflage running up and down the pass on I70. Well, Tuesday, I was entering I70 and just about to drive over the pass towards Denver. Low and behold, a JL mule turns in front of me and heads up the ramp onto I70. I am driving a Mercedes ML350 BluTec diesel myself mind you. Now normally, a wrangler can barely breathe up here and is in the right lane struggling to make it up the pass. It is ~7 miles of 6% grade on the eastbound side. Most vehicles (normally aspirated) really struggle. So anyways, this JL took the ramp like a rocket. I literally had to floor my turbo diesel ML (400+ ft/lbs of torque mind you). It just kept pushing up the hill in the left lane without running out of breathe like most normally aspirated vehicles do. I am serious, this thing went in the left lane and was flying up the hill. I did smell a bit of NOx so I am fairly confident it was a diesel. There is the possibility it was the turbo 4. But, I don't think it would have been that fast. The engineer had a laptop that he was playing with so there was some fine tuning he was surely doing. All I can say is that there is a new powertrain coming in the JL that we all will be very very excited about. I am now seriously going to consider one. As a side note, there seem to be 6+ or so mules up here running around. They are going up and down I70 at the Eisenhower tunnels (11,000 ft. asl) and over Loveland pass ~13,000ft. asl. Some are in packs probably recording performance. Others are towing trailers with skids of weight added up and down the divide. But, I was really excited to observe the high performance of the new turbo powertrain, be it gas or diesel. Party on brothers, it's coming and I'm excited
:rock::rock:

Next time get pictures or video!! :please:

OP
OP

BigDz

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mercedes ML350 BluTec
Sorry, hard to do when you are running up a winding 6% grade at 75 mph next to another vehicle with 1000' cliff next to you. But, I think you've seen enough pictures of the mules. It was a 2 door by the way.