Sponsored

Wrangler JL Clutch Vibration

Jeepguy98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Manual
Hi Everyone,

Is it normal for a Jeep JL to have a vibration or grinding type feeling in the clutch?

I order my dream rubicon. Took it for a test drive and the vibration was so bad my leg was going numb. It was ridiculously uncomfortable. My 98 never once had this problem.

I told the dealer how terrible feeling the clutch was. They agreed it would be best to inspect it during the upcoming week. 30 minutes later they called me and told me it was” normal” and that I should come back and test drive it again. Knowing this was going to be a waste of my time, I went anyways, but I asked that they test drive it with me in it. I watched the Jeep manager’s leg shaking as he told me it was “normal”.

I left that day and said fix it or I am not buying it. They had multiple techs look at it and I was told nothing was wrong. I went back again to test drive it and it was miraculously better. Only a little vibration when you engage and disengage the clutch. Hard telling if they made an adjustment and for some reason don’t want to tell me or if the clutch just needed to be driven a bit.

Long story, but is this normal in today’s Wranglers? Should I buy it or run?

Thanks a million.
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
edit nevermind. I just saw it's a brand new Jeep.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Long story, but is this normal in today’s Wranglers? Should I buy it or run?
No. Not normal. That said, a bunch of people have posted about exactly what you experienced - a grinding feeling.

My hunch is that it’s not been properly bled which, unfortunately, is not uncommon.

To answer the question, though, no it’s definitely not normal. Mine is 3 years old and my clutch feels great.

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
Second the “not normal.” My month old manual JLU clutch action is smooth.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Second the “not normal.” My month old manual JLU clutch action is smooth.
Third not normal. Why would you proceed with the purchase after the dealership tried to tell you that it's working normally? They lost your trust right there, or at least they should have.

Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
That definitely doesn't sound normal as you've described it... Do they have any other manuals on the lot you could compare to?

OP
OP

Jeepguy98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Manual
Hey thanks for the responses. I've driven many manuals never felt anything like it. My 98 was smooth as could be.

@Chazdog I am with ya.
Sponsored