Sponsored

Wrangler JL (boat) towing experience report

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If a guy posting his report of towing what turned out to be 100-200lbs over the US tow rating of his JLU is your threshold for what should be censored off the internet, the internet would be unrecognizable in your fantasy world. It is truly amazing that you believe removing this discussion and all others like it is either ethical or has any potential to save lives or property. I guess no forum is safe from statist delusions.
Com’on he is more likely 700-1000lbs over the tow rating without a load in his Jeep or in the boat. The wrangler has limited tow ratings based on many factors and was never designed or intended to tow heav. Mine sags when I am pulling my mowing equipment and at most I am pulling 1800lbs with a tongue weight of about 230lbs.

The OEM tow package and aftermarket packages are a class 2 for a reason.
Sponsored

Captian Bligh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Overland 5.7 Hemi (T100, 2nd gen 4Runner, 2nd gen Tacoma)
I would consider adjusting how the boat sits on the trailer if you’re going to continue to use the JL as a tow vehicle. Move the boat further back on the trailer lightening up the tongue weight.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Com’on he is more likely 700-1000lbs over the tow rating without a load in his Jeep or in the boat. The wrangler has limited tow ratings based on many factors and was never designed or intended to tow heav. Mine sags when I am pulling my mowing equipment and at most I am pulling 1800lbs with a tongue weight of about 230lbs.

The OEM tow package and aftermarket packages are a class 2 for a reason.
Post 28 of this thread begs to differ.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Wow, I'm not surprised what this thread has turned into...

In any case, people worried about the insurance coverage denial hypothesis should quit because it's just simply not true. Did you know that insurance still covers you if your in an accident while drunk? It'll cover you if you're towing over the jeeps rating as well.
https://www.insure.com/car-insurance/insurance-company-pays-for-illegal-acts.html

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR

In any case, people worried about the insurance coverage denial hypothesis should quit because it's just simply not true. Did you know that insurance still covers you if your in an accident while drunk? It'll cover you if you're towing over the jeeps rating as well.
https://www.insure.com/car-insurance/insurance-company-pays-for-illegal-acts.html
Oh ok. Then worry about this: People sue other people for much less! This one will increase your liability real quick.

So again, don’t do this! You wanna tow over 3500 lbs, buy the right damn vehicle to do it.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Oh ok. Then worry about this: People sue other people for much less! This one will increase your liability real quick.

So again, don’t do this! You wanna tow over 3500 lbs, buy the right damn vehicle to do it.
First off, I'm not advocating doing anything illegal or unsafe, just correcting misinformation. Secondly, I really hope you (guys) are this stringent upon other safety measures though, like speeding. But I'm sure none if you do that illegal behavior either.

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
The boat is a 2018 Bayliner VR5. Weight of boat with trailer is probably right around 4200-4400 lbs.

D8uuQaQgOn_gf8mm9ByaZryGRIBbx-Q-sWr-sqp7pZU34X0bfOV_xREJe1_JyKtNOG4h8tSj3NPEvVGvRI5MiYglAQ=w2400.jpg
Good to see. My boat is ~3500 and I will probably tow it very short distances once or twice a year. Mines a pontoon so it's like dragging a billboard the wrong way.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
Well unlike some in this thread - I appreciate your report. It lets me know that - from someone's personal experience, if I choose to believe it (no reason not to - it's just a qualifier) - the vehicle I'm buying can handle max-weight very well, instead of straining and struggling at the limit. Will I run over max weight? Most likely not - I own a Ram 3500 for moving things, and I don't really have anything big the Jeep would need to move. Not like I'm going to use it to pull my 5th wheel (although...). But if I did have something in the weight range of 4000, and needed to move it up to the lake 10 miles away - sure, I'd probably do it. Not getting on the interstate, mainly back roads, no speed over 55mph - I'd feel pretty safe. Of course *I* would make that decision, based on how it handled when it felt when I started up the road.

I really don't see that it's a National Security issue for somebody to tow a few hundred pounds over their vehicle "maximum published weight capacity". If you want to charge at windmills or unsafe acts, charge at the people driving with cell phones in their hands, or going "79mph" in a 70mph zone, or driving after "only had a couple beers on the way home". Any of those cause far more dangerous situations every single day than someone towing 10% over their max weight. And fwiw - I haven't seen any threads here firing off at people going above posted speed limits lately.

I do admit, reading the "this thread should be removed" made me chuckle. It's in line with, for instance, YouTube removing videos that advocate the selling or operation of firearms. Far from a chuckling matter I suppose, and I know there are more than just Americans that use this forum - but here in the United States one of our most empowering rights we have (even above the "right to health care") is our freedom of speech. Literally tens of thousands (and more) have died protecting just that freedom. I'd say it's something we take pretty seriously; limiting that should be strongly considered before implementing.

And also to your point - if you think "how to make a bomb" isn't on the internet, you haven't googled that phrase lately.

Point is - I didn't see the original poster come out and say "hey guys, pay no attention to the published tow rating, I performed extensive testing and towed way over that in all types of conditions and nothing went wrong so their engineers don't know what they're talking about". I saw someone who ran 15 miles up the road pulling a slightly heavier load with a newly-released vehicle informing others who are buying the same vehicle of his (admitted limited) experience.

If someone makes the leap from THAT to "it's ok for me to pull 5K on the interstate across country with my Jeep" then there are more problems in that person's life and decision making process, and this post definitely wasn't the trigger for that ridiculous decision; and when I come across that person, I hope I'm in my Ram 3500 so I can help push him off the road when he wrecks.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Post 28 of this thread begs to differ.
The weight listed is with a 150HP outboard, the stern drive weighs approximately 310lbs more so you are looking at a dry weight of 3925lbs. 33 gallons of marine fuel (premium) for this example weighs about 215lbs - so now just the boat full of fuel and the trailer weigh 4140lbs. Average pin weight is about 10-15% depending on how it sits on the trailer. So pin weight of the boat would be somewhere between 415 and 621 lbs.

Let’s throw in a full tank of fuel in the Jeep and 1 200lb driver which adds another 335lbs, now you are up to a total weight of roughly 4475lbs without any other passengers, gear in the Jeep or gear in the boat.

Anyone that tows frequently also knows you can’t rely on listed specifications it is always better to hit a truck stop scale and be accurate.

Wranglers don’t have a wide enough or long enough wheel base to tow over max ratings. Plus the suspension isn’t designed for this type of work or you would see a trailer tow package with options other than a hitch and aux buttons.

Plain and simple the wrangler isn’t designed to tow heavy.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I skipped over this thread, apparently for good reason. :) But it's funny to see the very first post give the Jeep a "10 out of 10" for towing that boat, which is clearly larger than the Jeep itself, and then post a picture which shows the suspension sagging and the tongue of the trailer pointed downward. Lol.

I guess one good thing we can take from this thread is that since he handled that oversized load well, the rest of us should be in great shape towing within specs.

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
lulz

You boys should look up 'depraved indifference':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depraved-heart_murder

There's now enough source material for any reasonably competent researcher performing discovery to potentially make a case. And it doesn't have to be this vehicle, this rig, and/or this specific situation. The interwebs can never be completely scrubbed, so the various claims and bravado can easily be linked to actual individuals to portray sentiment and state of mind if a potential claim arises in the future under different circumstances.

Good work.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

...people worried about the insurance coverage denial hypothesis
Let me see if I follow the argument here, which if not intended, morons will nevertheless read this as:

Exceed the limits people. Expose yourself, your passengers, your property, public property, and the lives of others and their property to risk because, heck, you're covered.

Or maybe you were just discussing whether insurance covers this independent of its merits as admirable behavior or not, from say a financial perspective.

If you were, and not that you have said otherwise, but for the morons: reckless acts and insurance coverage not only deal with premeditated risk but if you think there aren't boatloads (no pun of intended) of out of pocket costs to such behavior that insurance may not pick up, from jail time, to being out of work due to injury, to death of yourself, your loved ones, or innocent others, the loss of property not covered or covered in entirety by insurance, premium increases, premium increases we all pay from such reckless behavior, being denied insurance going forward, or having to pay unaffordable rates for coverage that your State mandates must be provided, court costs, attorney expenses, the loss of driving privileges, the guilt over killing or hurting others, the busy road you shut down for 3 hours while some medivac peeled your ass off the pavement and transported what remains of your vegetative existence to the nearest trauma center, the grief you cause your family...

there's more if you'd like......

Certainly, and not because you've suggested otherwise digitalbliss, I know I am not alone on this topic here to say, people should follow the rules simple because it's the right thing to do.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Well unlike some in this thread - I appreciate your report. It lets me know that - from someone's personal experience, if I choose to believe it (no reason not to - it's just a qualifier) - the vehicle I'm buying can handle max-weight very well, instead of straining and struggling at the limit.
I'd agree if the testing were down in controlled and safety inspected closed track conditions. What if the OP didn't fair as well? What if the tow went South? I also like to know how much my products are over-engineered, but not as a result of unsafe testing that only after the fact can be reported as having not gone sideways (pun or not.)

Appreciating after the fact foolish behavior, even if it didn't go sideways, can inspire morons to effect similar beyond spec testing for recognition.

*I* would make that decision, based on how it handled when it felt when I started up the road.
I simply don't know what part of, "it's not your call to make to tow over spec," you feel doesn't apply to you? I'm tired of hearing people talk of "their right. their choice" as they mistakenly cloth themselves in the American flag, a country of laws, many good ones, that we don't get to violate just because we're not, or feel ourselves not (whether true of false) the idiots the standard of law was written to take into account.

I think my daughter was responsible enough to drive at 15: more mature than some drivers I see in their 30s. But the law, written for people less mature than her, nevertheless obligated us to wait until she was 18.

I really don't see that it's a National Security issue for somebody to tow a few hundred pounds over their vehicle "maximum published weight capacity".
Ahh, the "but officer, others were going 90 mpg in a 65, I was only doing 80," slippery slope.

That there are always worse offenses doesn't justify lessor ones. Should limited enforcement resources go to the more severe things?...certainly.

I do admit, reading the "this thread should be removed" made me chuckle.
I'm going to guess it's because you missed the point. Case law has shown forum site publishers to be held in part liable for irresponsible content they allow to have on their websites. My advise came from that perspective.

That said, that not talking about this stuff may have the serendipitous effect of also not getting reading morons from exceeding towing limits, especially remarkably so, all the better.

but here in the United States one of our most empowering rights we have (even above the "right to health care") is our freedom of speech. Literally tens of thousands (and more) have died protecting just that freedom. I'd say it's something we take pretty seriously; limiting that should be strongly considered before implementing.
There it is: the classic "those who miss the point" wear the flag as their defense line.

Before anyone once again goes off on their, "this is American, free speech, USA, USA!" chant, many many patriotic acts involve, yes, the direct opposite: keeping ones mouth shut. I love my country no less.

Whether it results in not giving people the tools and advise to do foolish things like tow beyond limits, or making bombs, or not empowering criminals or enemies of the State with intelligence as to Police or Military strategy so as to reduce casualties, NOT advocating beyond limits towing, so less people do it, even though its going to happen anyway, even though others are talking about it, is a good thing because safety trumps freedom of expression.

...the same justification for it being wrong for you to yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater where no such fire exists.

That it is going to happen, that it exists on the web anyway, hardly reasons to further disseminate such stuff.

Point is - I didn't see the original poster come out and say "hey guys, pay no attention to the published tow rating, I performed extensive testing and towed way over that in all types of conditions and nothing went wrong so their engineers don't know what they're talking about".
Wow, how responsible of him to NOT do these things. The point is that he paid no attention to the published tow rating.

If someone makes the leap from THAT to "it's ok for me to pull 5K on the interstate across country with my Jeep" then there are more problems in that person's life and decision making process, and this post definitely wasn't the trigger for that ridiculous decision; and when I come across that person, I hope I'm in my Ram 3500 so I can help push him off the road when he wrecks.
Neither you nor I cant have any idea whether or not some moron, on the fence about such grossly irresponsible towing might get empowered by the near immortality he things his Wrangler provides him when reading of people doing things with their rig beyond safety spec. You are though correct about there being more problems in that person's life and executive decision making process. There's the problems of his passengers, his property, and that of others on the road.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I skipped over this thread, apparently for good reason. :) But it's funny to see the very first post give the Jeep a "10 out of 10" for towing that boat, which is clearly larger than the Jeep itself, and then post a picture which shows the suspension sagging and the tongue of the trailer pointed downward. Lol.

I guess one good thing we can take from this thread is that since he handled that oversized load well, the rest of us should be in great shape towing within specs.
Yeah, I stopped taking it seriously on post 1 with "noticed no difference in handling whatsoever". Riiight, with a 4400lb load, which is 25% over max rating? Even at max rating I hope a person would notice and be able to respect a handling difference, safe or unsafe.
Sponsored