Wrangler Friendly Hitch-Mounted Grill

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Hi all! Want to get ready for the summer beach season and fall football tailgating. I've never delved into the world of trailer hitch mounted grills, but it seems like a good solution since the cargo area size is precious. Any good experiences with grill rigs that are Wrangler-friendly to get around the spare? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Can't help in the grill world, but I'm trying out one of these for my platform style bike rack. Hitch extension that swings whatever is attached to it out of the way 90deg so that you can get into the tailgate https://www.kuatracks.com/products/hitch/pivot/
I've got one of these on the way. We will be using it for our attachable picnic table and hitch hauler. Swings out of the way of your tailgate. Then you dont have to remove the hitch hauler to access the tailgate. Depending on your spare tire size your may need to order and extension for the receiver.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
All the hitch-mounted grills I recall seeing at football tailgating were mounted on pickup trucks. In this application, the heat from the grill would have minimal impact on the (likely) steel tailgate.

Regarding Wrangler use, I would be concerned with radiant heat from the grill damaging the spare tire. The rubber might deteriorate and/or the cords internal to the sidewall might be impacted--without visual evidence. That could make for a spare tire you would never want to use as a spare in case of a flat or in a tire rotation plan.

Thus, if shopping for a hitch-mounted grill for use on a Wrangler, I would want to shop also for a long receiver/hitch extension to keep the grill well away from the spare tire and a heat shield to protect the spare tire.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Good Luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP
NickTinVA

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
All the hitch-mounted grills I recall seeing at football tailgating were mounted on pickup trucks. In this application, the heat from the grill would have minimal impact on the (likely) steel tailgate.

Regarding Wrangler use, I would be concerned with radiant heat from the grill damaging the spare tire. The rubber might deteriorate and/or the cords internal to the sidewall might be impacted--without visual evidence. That could make for a spare tire you would never want to use as a spare in case of a flat or in a tire rotation plan.

Thus, if shopping for a hitch-mounted grill for use on a Wrangler, I would want to shop also for a long receiver/hitch extension to keep the grill well away from the spare tire and a heat shield to protect the spare tire.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Good Luck!
Agree. In my head I was thinking a swing out one so that when the thing is hot it's out and away from the spare. It may be as easy as having an extension to get behind the spare. Good points!

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I've got one of these on the way. We will be using it for our attachable picnic table and hitch hauler. Swings out of the way of your tailgate. Then you dont have to remove the hitch hauler to access the tailgate. Depending on your spare tire size your may need to order and extension for the receiver.
I have one, and ir works really well! Used it mountain biking last week, and it was great to be able to open up the tailgate fully without taking the bikes off. This was my first thought when I saw this thread - get this bracket, then get whatever grill you want and just swing it away from the tire when using.

OP
OP
NickTinVA

NickTinVA

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Just an update in case anyone is watching this. I think the wrinkle is, everything I've found only swings to the passenger side. My goal is the have the grill swing to the driver's side, and the tailgate swing to the passenger side, creating a nice tailgate space. I'll keep looking, but it looks like to get exactly what I want I may have to build something.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I think you nailed it. Thank you!
Also fwiw, the Kuat Pivot is the same design as the RakAttach medium, except the Kuat is passenger side open only. Apparently Kuat licenced the design from RakAttach, which is why they look identical.
Sponsored