Wrangler as an Overland Vehicle

spinxt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU
How do people use Wranglers as overland vehicles with such crappy fuel ranges? The best range I’ve seen on my EVIC is 250 miles. I can’t imagine that’s ideal for overlanding. Although not as capable as the Wrangler, my Ram 1500 can go 400 miles on a tank.
Sponsored

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I guess it depends on your definition of Overlanding. If your mostly traveling long distance on the freeway you might want to consider a motorhome, and there are plenty of gas stations along the freeway. If you mostly off road on forest service roads then range could be an issue, but if you want to tow an excursion trailer on fairly technical trails then a Wrangler is a very capable option. You could just pack in extra fuel. There's no single right answer, just depends on how you frame the question.

gregssstaaa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I can come close to 400 miles in my EcoDiesel. Even more if I pack my RotopaX.

Sponsored

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I get about 350 miles per tank in my 2.0.

OP
OP
spinxt

spinxt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU
I guess it depends on your definition of Overlanding. If your mostly traveling long distance on the freeway you might want to consider a motorhome, and there are plenty of gas stations along the freeway. If you mostly off road on forest service roads then range could be an issue, but if you want to tow an excursion trailer on fairly technical trails then a Wrangler is a very capable option. You could just pack in extra fuel. There's no single right answer, just depends on how you frame the question.
Not sure who considers driving on a freeway overlanding 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I get about 350 miles per tank in my 2.0.
Yeah, stock my Sahara 2.0 with the upgrade 32” AT’s and the stock 3.45 gears easily got 25-27 mpg Highway. I think the tank capacity is 21.5 gallons.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Probably running 35 or smaller tires, keeping the rig light as possible, slight to no lift would be more efficient on gas, extra gas cans too.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I think people grossly overestimate how far they are actually going to drive off road without coming near a gas stations. Throw 5-10 gallons in rotopax, Jerry cans, etc and you've got 70-200 miles in reserve even if you're rock crawling (worst we've ever got even on 37's is 14 mpg average). Just some examples from experience, the Rubicon trail is only 18 miles with gas stations within 15 miles of each trail head. The dusy erishim trail is one of the longest technical trails I've ever seen at 33 miles with gas stations within 20 miles of each end. Even the Mojave road, one of the longest trails I've ever seen, is 100 miles. It crosses a highway along the way within 2 miles of a gas station. Sure, exploring out in the desert we've went well over 400 miles in 2-4 days, but had at least a half dozen opportunities to fuel up along the way. I find the range far more annoying on the freeway during long road trips, not because gas isn't available but because it feels like we have to stop far too often.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Been overlanding for over a decade. It's rare for any route in the Lower 48 to go more than 250 miles without passing near a gas station at some point.

And it's extremely rare to go more than 350. Rotopax and Jerry cans can get you from 250 to 350 pretty easily.
I agree. I believe it’s a misperception based on the marketing efforts by all the YouTubers to sell people on every conceivable accessory gadget and mod known to man.
Sponsored